• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.4)
2017/11/25 23:28:05
Fabio Rubato
Will Melodyne Studio work in it? 

What about VST3's? 

Not like you are used to in DAWs with ARA integration. But you can use it.

VST3's are fine
2017/11/25 23:53:52
glazfolk
Oh, and I'll just add that there's no shortage of ex-Sonar users in the REAPER community who'll be only too happy to help anyone who wants help in migrating.
2017/11/26 00:04:49
Serious_Noize!
Reaper is a great Daw. I've piddled with it the last few years. But the problem for me as I would think with so many others is the that at least for me after making a few changes to my system "Sonar Pro", or Sonar has been working without any flaws. But then again, considering the way Windows 10 which is the operating system that I am using updates, it's just a matter of time I suspect before one update breaks or changes all of that. 

I mentioned Reaper myself in the last few days. But the problem I have with Reaper is their lack of the main essentials which is a ROCK SOLID THEME.  I've seen all their theme's and tried them out, and tried the custom settings and all that stuff. But the problem with all that is you find yourself instead of sitting down to record music, you find yourself paying too much attention to the LOOK and FEEL of REAPER. I got used to the Cakewalk theme and feel of it. Nothing will replace it. It was affordable and usable. 

As for Reaper, until somebody comes out with a Reaper theme that is identical to Cakewalk's Sonar Pro, I tried it, but I wont be using it. 

Generic JS plugin's, no wrappers and after looking at the daw for years and trying it they always end up with just JS scripts to use, very GENERIC looking and confusing. It doesn't matter if they function how they are supposed to, the wrapper on the VST/VSTI/JS Script should show some sort of helpful information or functional hints. 

I am sticking with Sonar since it's working for me now, I have made preperations on backups.

I am exactly like a lot of you, and by that I mean, I was looking elsewhere because I felt abandoned. 

But considering my Sonar Daw is working great for me now, and I have image backups made just incase the servers go down, I see no reason to change since it does all that I ask of it. 

One big problem with Reaper and you never hear it mentioned is the possibility of viruses when adding theme's. I mean really, the free for all on files and images should be checked or at least verified in some manner, or at the very least be mentioned that they have been checked some way. One way you get viruses these days is in EMAILs with IMAGES and adding a theme at Random in Reaper knowing that there IS NO REAPER VIRUS PROTECTION. It's just something to think about. JUST MY OPINION on the subject either way, not a proclamation by no means. But simply a thought. 

If Sonar is working for you, make a Image backup. That way you will have it easy to reinstall TO YOUR HARDWARE FOR NOW. But as for the future, Who knows........ Because Windows 10 if you are using it like me will sooner or later update making PERHAPS Sonar and other softwares non-functional regardless of having an Image backup. So if you wanna get serious about using Sonar/Any version, I would suggest setting it up on a separate PC RIGHT NOW and activating it and making an IMAGE BACKUP and keep that PC OFFLINE where WINDOWS 10 or any other version wont update IF IT IS WORKING PERFECT OR RIGHT. 

Oh well, I'm a little sad about the whole situation. Those are my OPINIONS and thoughts on the subject. 

Switching to Reaper just adds more files to your PC, it doesn't change anything....

Best of luck!

2017/11/26 00:28:59
Mosvalve
Fabio Rubato
Will Melodyne Studio work in it? 

What about VST3's? 

All my VST VSt3, VSI's work fine so far
I pretty much always use VST3 if both VST2 and VST3 come with a plugin.  Haven't had any problems with them so far, and I'm using Waves DBX160, Eventide Equivocate, Arturia Mini Filter, plus some plugs from iZotope, Voxengo, Blue Cat plugs, and others.

I don't have Melodyne, but I have seen on REAPER's forum that using the SWS extensions makes it easier to integrate.
2017/11/26 02:36:35
AdamGrossmanLG
honestly, i cant stand the look of reaper.  its all text mostly, very cluttered with millions of settings everywhere.  just looking it at it, i dont even wanna get started with it honestly.
AdamGrossmanLG
honestly, i cant stand the look of reaper.  its all text mostly, very cluttered with millions of settings everywhere.  just looking it at it, i dont even wanna get started with it honestly.

Hehe, I went to CompUSA once with my wife, and while in the area where the colored iMacs were, I noticed a salesman within earshot so I said in a loud enough voice for him to hear, "What color computer should we get honey? I hear that the RED ones are faster".   ;)

In all seriousness, I hardly ever see text in REAPER except when I'm selecting a plugin from a list. The rest of the time, it looks like the image I posted back on the first page of this thread.
2017/11/26 02:49:34
AdamGrossmanLG
lol, i do love options, but this product just seems cumbersome and not attractive.
AdamGrossmanLG
lol, i do love options, but this product just seems cumbersome and not attractive.

For me the importance of things in a DAW are in this order.

1. Speed/Efficiency The more plugins I can glob on before I bring the DAW to it's knees the better, and I frequently use 100+ FX with 30+ tracks. I NEVER change the latency on my system for any reason. It's ALWAY set to 64 samples latency for 2.4/2.0ms latency in the DAW.

2. The Color!   <GGG>
2017/11/26 03:04:25
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo

it looks like the image I posted back on the first page of this thread.

What is that theme by the way?

I have tried a lot of themes over the years, but mostly I end up back with the default. Unlike SONARs custom themes, which are basically the same thing with different color schemes, I do like REAPERs custom theme ability because it can change the entire look of everything and not just be the same old same old with a different color scheme.

After 3 years away from SONAR, (Moved to Studio One 3) I honestly can't stand the look of SONAR, especially that light grey/silver/blue Mercury, Tungsten was a bit better, but it still looks like crap to me, I hate being in its environment. I fired up X3 the other day to check something for someone and it almost made me physically ill just looking at it, SONAR looks so old to me now days
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account