• Software
  • Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60 (p.7)
kitekrazy1
Ha, ha, ha, it's Glennbo. Love the user name.

Hey Kite, long time no see!  Hehe, I couldn't make my old login work, so I had to make a brand new one. 

People on VI Control have dumped Cubase for Reaper.  It's great to have at $60.  Some of you paid more for plugins and libraries you never use. Groove has a great tutorial 1st Song In Reaper.   It not as complicated as you think.

I've seen a lot of Pro Tools guys switching to REAPER over the last 9 years in the REAPER forum too. The $60 price tag is by no means any kind of indication of the quality of the software. There are plenty of pro users who produce music for video, film, and games using it. They have no marketing department, no team of lawyers, no advertising in magazines or web sites, so they so they have real low operating costs, and created the software out of a passion to make the best music software. Not to make killer profits. 
michaelhanson
This is what has kept me away from trying Reaper in the past.  I may still get a copy to play with at some point, but Melodyne ARA integration is important to me. 

Depending on what it is you need out of it, REAPER has some really great pitch stretching built in. For instance, you can hold down alt, grab the end of an audio clip, and squeeze or stretch it, keeping the pitch in tact. It also has the variable speed control which can be set to either preserve pitch, while letting you speed up or slow down the whole project, or act just like the speed control on an analog reel-to-reel, where speeding up or slowing down raises or lowers the pitch.

2017/11/29 11:35:36
azslow3
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
michaelhanson
This is what has kept me away from trying Reaper in the past.  I may still get a copy to play with at some point, but Melodyne ARA integration is important to me. 

Depending on what it is you need out of it, REAPER has some really great pitch stretching built in. For instance, you can hold down alt, grab the end of an audio clip, and squeeze or stretch it, keeping the pitch in tact. It also has the variable speed control which can be set to either preserve pitch, while letting you speed up or slow down the whole project, or act just like the speed control on an analog reel-to-reel, where speeding up or slowing down raises or lowers the pitch.

For pitch stretching, Reaper is using Elastique. Sonar is using Izotope. 

But that has nothing to do with ARA, and the situation does not look promising: https://askjf.com/index.php?q=3855s

2017/11/29 11:55:10
michaelhanson
michaelhanson

Using Melodyne for pitch correction, not timing adjustment. Also use it to change the key of songs for the Worship Band to practice too.
2017/11/29 11:56:51
Zargg
azslow3

But that has nothing to do with ARA, and the situation does not look promising: https://askjf.com/index.php?q=3855s

This is of concern for me.
It will probably rule out REAPER.
I seems Studio One is the only one that has that, AND Console 1 integration.
All the best.
2017/11/29 14:03:31
azslow3
Zargg
azslow3

All the best.

But do not forget to check that is has ALL other features you need.
In my list of things which Studio One does not have, Clip Gain envelop (the fact it does not exist) was the last drop to rule it out.

I guess the discussion about ARA in Reaper has a new round. Several Sonaries are coming. And I am going to participate actively. I have made several workarounds for Sonar, let see what I can do for Reaper 
2017/11/29 15:11:43
Zargg
azslow3
Zargg
azslow3

All the best.

In my list of things which Studio One does not have, Clip Gain envelop (the fact it does not exist) was the last drop to rule it out.

I guess the discussion about ARA in Reaper has a new round. Several Sonaries are coming. And I am going to participate actively. I have made several workarounds for Sonar, let see what I can do for Reaper 

That would be cool
I have demoed both DAW's, and can easily get work done in both.
ARA ruled out Cubase as well.
I'm not a heavy MIDI user, so will likely be good either way I go.
But both ARA and Console 1 integration is essential to me.
As far as I know, that only leaves Studio One.
azslow3
Zargg
azslow3

All the best.

I don't do much in the way of pitch correction, other than fix an occasional flat or sharp note, and for those tasks, I use the clip level pitch envelopes that are built-into REAPER. It also has a pitch correction plug, that is similar in function to Autotune, where you can specify scales, and set it for automatic, but I always prefer to just draw the pitch at the clip level with an envelope. 

As far as scaling whole songs or projects up or down, I have put the native pitch plugin on the master FX bin before and transposed everything up or down, but in my own personal projects about the biggest pitch manipulation I've do was to take an unused guitar solo from a friend of mine who passed away last year, and imported it into a song that was in a different key and at a different tempo.

For that, I used the native pitch plugin to get it in the correct key, and then used the alt+drag technique on the clip to put it into the correct tempo.  Once I completed those two tasks, it sounded natural, and had a guy who was no longer living playing on a brand new song, with a guitar solo that had never been on any other project.

2017/11/29 18:13:07
azslow3
azslow3
Zargg
azslow3

All the best.

I don't do much in the way of pitch correction, other than fix an occasional flat or sharp note, and for those tasks, I use the clip level pitch envelopes that are built-into REAPER. It also has a pitch correction plug, that is similar in function to Autotune, where you can specify scales, and set it for automatic, but I always prefer to just draw the pitch at the clip level with an envelope. 

As far as scaling whole songs or projects up or down, I have put the native pitch plugin on the master FX bin before and transposed everything up or down, but in my own personal projects about the biggest pitch manipulation I've do was to take an unused guitar solo from a friend of mine who passed away last year, and imported it into a song that was in a different key and at a different tempo.

For that, I used the native pitch plugin to get it in the correct key, and then used the alt+drag technique on the clip to put it into the correct tempo.  Once I completed those two tasks, it sounded natural, and had a guy who was no longer living playing on a brand new song, with a guitar solo that had never been on any other project.

With "Clip Gain" envelope in Sonar, I was mentioning "Volume (Pre-FX)" envelope in Reaper...

Sorry if I have not understood you correctly, but based on your comments I am not sure you understand the situation.
While Melodyne can do general "clip" level pitch correction, that is not why I (and I guess other) want to have ARA in Reaper. If you have never used Melodyne Studio and its integration into Sonar / S1:
Imagine Reaper MIDI editor, where you can modify notes/volumes/CCs, for several tracks.
Now imagine you have the same view, with the same functionality, but for pure audio tracks. That is what Melodyne with ARA provides for a DAW.
azslow3With "Clip Gain" envelope in Sonar, I was mentioning "Volume (Pre-FX)" envelope in Reaper...

Sorry if I have not understood you correctly, but based on your comments I am not sure you understand the situation.
While Melodyne can do general "clip" level pitch correction, that is not why I (and I guess other) want to have ARA in Reaper. If you have never used Melodyne Studio and its integration into Sonar / S1:
Imagine Reaper MIDI editor, where you can modify notes/volumes/CCs, for several tracks.
Now imagine you have the same view, with the same functionality, but for pure audio tracks. That is what Melodyne with ARA provides for a DAW.

I think you may be correct that I don't understand the desired functionality of Melodyne. Are you guys *re-writing* multi-part vocals, like as in deciding that you wished the vocals had sung something different than what got recorded, so all the vocals must be changed together, and maybe even change what the chord structure of the song is as well?

Not trying to be obtuse, but if that's the purpose of it, I probably wouldn't use it even if it was free and built into REAPER, other than possibly doing the occasional correction of a flat or sharp note. Maybe it's considered old school or obsolete now, but I know when I've recorded a take that is worthy of keeping as is, and if it's not, I re take it right then and there. That is not to say that's how everybody else should do it. That's just how I do it, and prefer doing it.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account