• Software
  • Sonar Alternatives: Cubase (p.11)
2017/12/13 02:19:04
JohanSebatianGremlin
husker
Note that if you save all your connectivity options as a preset named "Default" they wiill not be project dependent. 

This is sort of correct but not quite. You need to save your connection setup as presets i.e. as in multiple presets. You need to save one for inputs and you need to save a separate one for outputs both named Default. Its a feature. Enjoy. 
2017/12/13 02:28:15
Markubl2
OK, two presets.  I didn't remember that.  It took me 30 seconds to google it, and another 30 seconds to do it, so I didn't remember the exact details.  I haven't touched it since.

2017/12/13 04:01:19
JohanSebatianGremlin
Just posting it so others would know. Don't take it personally.
2017/12/13 04:13:11
Markubl2
Not taking it personally at all.  I actually like the way it works.  More flexibility is good!
2017/12/13 08:42:32
Frank-US
cparmerlee
dmbaer
The control room is not for everybody, so it makes little sense to force that option on users who don't need it

Here's another head scratcher, as in "WTF was Steinberg thinking?"
They don't do cross-fades automatically.  In every DAW I have used, if clips overlap, the DAW automatically sets up a cross-fade -- because that's what a person would want to do 99% of the time.

With Cubase, the first clip overlays and silences the second clip!?  I guess there are some non-default settings where you can get an automatic cross-fade, but only for a very short fade duration, not for the general case.  If you want to do a normal crossfade, you must select all the clips involved, then type "X".  That adds crossfades at all the overlay points.

Maybe you are looking for this?
"Cubase features an Auto Fade function that can be set both globally and separately for each audio track. Auto fades allow you to create smoother transitions between events by applying fade ins and fade outs with a length between 1 and 500 ms." Look at: Project > Auto Fades Settings
If you need crossfades that are longer than 500ms, you have indeed to trigger that by hand.
Best,
Frank
2017/12/13 15:05:54
KHS
dmbaer
joegab
I must say that everything seems fine but I miss some features that I always loved using Sonar.

The feature I miss most may sound trivial but ...

In SONAR, when you freeze a track, the audio waveform shows up in the track view window.  Most of the time you don't care if you see it or you don't.  But if you actually want to look at the audio (or grab the image for demonstration purposes), it's just not there.  In Cubase, you must export the track and then import it into the project to see the audio in the DAW.  And then you've got to clean up after yourself.  All in all, a total PITA.

Cubase has a freeze function just there on every track.
2017/12/13 15:16:33
KHS
Resort Records
ooblecaboodle
I need to be able to give out raw multitracks, and expect to receive raw multitracks. Extra steps such as removing all plugins and so forth just isn't tolerable.

Here's what I got from the Steinberg forums:  While there aren't dedicated checkboxes in the Export panel, as one might expect, there are multi-function buttons on the MixConsole that can bypass certain processes.  Hold the Alt key and press "I," "E," "CS," or "S" to disable Inserts, EQs, Channel Strips, and Sends, respectively.  These functions are also available via key commands so, for example, you could create a batch command that disables all of them with a keystroke and another to re-enable them.

Other options are available but sorta messy.  For example, you can render files in place (with the desired wet/dry options), but this drops the resulting audio files into your project's general audio pool and would need to be dug out manually.  Hrmmmph.

Just select all events on the track or tracks you like, then go to Audio -> Bounce selection and Cubase will bounce all the selected tracks as RAW. It will also ask you if you wanna replace the events in the project, just select no and you can find the files in the audio folder under your project folder.
2017/12/13 17:48:00
cparmerlee
Frank-US
cparmerlee
dmbaer
The control room is not for everybody, so it makes little sense to force that option on users who don't need it

They don't do cross-fades automatically.  In every DAW I have used, if clips overlap, the DAW automatically sets up a cross-fade -- because that's what a person would want to do 99% of the time.

With Cubase, the first clip overlays and silences the second clip!?  I guess there are some non-default settings where you can get an automatic cross-fade, but only for a very short fade duration, not for the general case.  If you want to do a normal crossfade, you must select all the clips involved, then type "X".  That adds crossfades at all the overlay points.

"Cubase features an Auto Fade function that can be set both globally and separately for each audio track. Auto fades allow you to create smoother transitions between events by applying fade ins and fade outs with a length between 1 and 500 ms." Look at: Project > Auto Fades Settings
If you need crossfades that are longer than 500ms, you have indeed to trigger that by hand.
Best,
Frank

Yes, thanks.  I just think it is really peculiar:
  • That is is not the default behavior
  • That it is limited to 500 ms.
OK, most cross-fades are probably less than 500 ms, especially if you are trying to make a smooth cut.  But there have been many times that I have done cross-fades of a second or longer.  It makes no sense at all to me for this to be limited arbitrarily to 500 ms.  But it is just one of those things, I guess.
Overall, Cubase will get the job done for me.  I am not thrilled with the included plug-in effects, especially that rather spartan UI in most of them.  But over time, I have come to rely more on 3rd party plug-ins anyway, so that part of my world doesn't change much -- except for Melodyne, which really sucks in Cubase.  If I have a project where I expect to use Melodyne a lot, I will be very tempted to use StudioOne instead of Cubase.

There are certainly some things that Cubase does that SONAR didn't do at all, so I am not unhappy.  I just think Steinberg would be better off having a more open mind about things.  But Steinberg probably has the same user base problem everyone else has.  Those who are long-time users really don't like change and probably give the company some poor advice.  Listening to the current user base isn't always the best idea.  I'm not saying the user base should be ignored, but in a competitive environment, chances are good that some of the best ideas will come from outside -- and be strongly resisted by the old-time users.
2017/12/13 18:38:01
Frank-US
cparmerlee
Frank-US
cparmerlee
dmbaer

Best,
Frank

OK, most cross-fades are probably less than 500 ms, especially if you are trying to make a smooth cut.  But there have been many times that I have done cross-fades of a second or longer.  It makes no sense at all to me for this to be limited arbitrarily to 500 ms.  But it is just one of those things, I guess.
Overall, Cubase will get the job done for me.  I am not thrilled with the included plug-in effects, especially that rather spartan UI in most of them.  But over time, I have come to rely more on 3rd party plug-ins anyway, so that part of my world doesn't change much -- except for Melodyne, which really sucks in Cubase.  If I have a project where I expect to use Melodyne a lot, I will be very tempted to use StudioOne instead of Cubase.

There are certainly some things that Cubase does that SONAR didn't do at all, so I am not unhappy.  I just think Steinberg would be better off having a more open mind about things.  But Steinberg probably has the same user base problem everyone else has.  Those who are long-time users really don't like change and probably give the company some poor advice.  Listening to the current user base isn't always the best idea.  I'm not saying the user base should be ignored, but in a competitive environment, chances are good that some of the best ideas will come from outside -- and be strongly resisted by the old-time users.

You can make this a default behaviour. The implemented crossfade is for avoiding clicks due to zero crossing. Having crossfades of a second and more is different job. In addition, autocross fade is RAM based and might eat up your memory if you have such high values.
I personally think, that some great PlugIns coming with the program. But it is all a matter of taste.
I do have Melodyne on a second computer but in most cases the included Vari-Audio is doing the job for me. But I can understand everyone who want's a more complete integration of Melodyne in Cubase.

Best,
Frank

2017/12/13 20:03:44
KHS
cparmerlee
Frank-US
cparmerlee
dmbaer

Best,
Frank

Using crossfades for audio editing, like guitar, bass or vocals, best results are usually with a crossfade length between 2-5ms only. Not sure what you are doing that requires more than 500ms? 

For Melodyne, Cubase comes with its own pitch correction software built into Cubase. Unless you are using Melodyne for polyphonic materiel, the one in Cubase is absolutely on par with Melodyne.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account