• Software
  • Sonar Alternatives: Cubase (p.14)
2017/12/20 22:02:52
joegab
Thank you Frank, we really appreciate.

2017/12/21 20:01:03
soens
cparmerlee
They don't do cross-fades automatically.  In every DAW I have used, if clips overlap, the DAW automatically sets up a cross-fade -- because that's what a person would want to do 99% of the time.

With Cubase, the first clip overlays and silences the second clip!?  I guess there are some non-default settings where you can get an automatic cross-fade, but only for a very short fade duration, not for the general case.  If you want to do a normal crossfade, you must select all the clips involved, then type "X".  That adds crossfades at all the overlay points.

Not the end of the world, but it really makes you wonder how they could be so insular and oblivious to something so obvious.

Not So Obvious here!

I prefer nothing to happen unless I want it to. To me it's most aggravating when overlapping clips auto crossfade. Both clips should be audible as anyone would expect overlapping clips to do. Let me decide what should happen, but by default, nothing should happen. IMO. Under certain circumstances Sonar would actually trim the overlapping area of 2 clips which was even more frustrating.
2017/12/21 20:23:39
cparmerlee
soens
I prefer nothing to happen unless I want it to. To me it's most aggravating when overlapping clips auto crossfade. Both clips should be audible as anyone would expect overlapping clips to do.

But that isn't what Cubase does.  Cubase silences the second clip in the overlap area.  That's a behavior that makes no sense to me.  If a person doesn't want to hear something, then they should truncate the clip accordingly.  The Cubase behavior is a PITA and I've never seen any other program that works this way.
2017/12/21 21:01:37
KHS
Edit..

Cannot post link.
2017/12/21 21:05:02
KHS
Search on youtube for this as i cannot post links 
Overlapping Audio without a Crossfade in Cubase 
Just set it up as auto fades and it will do it everytime.
2017/12/22 14:29:43
Frank-US
Resort Records
Frank-US
With point 5 it's getting a bit fuzzy to me. What does "a bit" mean? 500ms, one second, two seconds?
With a relativ small value, it would be a kind of auto crossfade - with a higer value such as a second of overlap, you would hear theoretically the beginning and the end of your recording simultaneously. That could be two different chords or different words of a sung chorus at the same time. I still struggling with that scenario.

Here's a brief demonstration video.  I hope it's helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out and to consider my points.

Ok, so after a discussion I had yesterday, I had a further look into what's possible in Cubase. What you have shown in your Video or better, what you have requested is ( to a certain extend) already possible.
A) Choose the track which should allow overlaps
B) Click in the Inspector of that track on the little auto fade button (or right click on the track - menu entry AUTO FADE)
C) In the appearing AUTO FADES WINDOW choose CROSSFADES
D) Choose EQUAL POWER with the max length of 500ms and mark the AUTO CROSSFADE box

After done this, you can make this a DEFAULT behavior.
Maybe we have to consider to have more than 500 ms possible. But for most cases I believe that this is doing the trick. At least I can say that in a project I'm currently working it does work as you might have expected.

Best,
Frank
2017/12/22 20:43:48
Resort Records
Frank-US
Ok, so after a discussion I had yesterday, I had a further look into what's possible in Cubase. What you have shown in your Video or better, what you have requested is ( to a certain extend) already possible.
A) Choose the track which should allow overlaps
B) Click in the Inspector of that track on the little auto fade button (or right click on the track - menu entry AUTO FADE)
C) In the appearing AUTO FADES WINDOW choose CROSSFADES
D) Choose EQUAL POWER with the max length of 500ms and mark the AUTO CROSSFADE box

After done this, you can make this a DEFAULT behavior.
Maybe we have to consider to have more than 500 ms possible. But for most cases I believe that this is doing the trick. At least I can say that in a project I'm currently working it does work as you might have expected.

I'm sorry to say that, in my experience, this doesn't work - it produces an obvious fade between the clips.  Here's a quick video that demonstrates overlapping clips with and without auto crossfades enabled.

What's more, when I disable Equal Power and draw in curves that are more likely to produce acceptable results (albeit limited to 500ms), there's no change.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Maybe it's a bug in Cubase 9.  I dunno.
2017/12/22 23:53:02
Resort Records
KHS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J2LhpHde84

Thank you, but we've covered this already, and it was demonstrated in my first video.  If I understand him correctly, Frank is suggesting that this workaround can be forced on overlapping clips through the use of automatic fades.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to make it work, as demonstrated in my second video.  Furthermore, if we modify Frank's suggestion to use the null curve shapes described in your linked video (and mine), Cubase ignores them and uses the original fades instead.  Bug?  User error?  Not sure.
2017/12/23 12:04:26
KHS
Resort Records

Thank you, but we've covered this already, and it was demonstrated in my first video.  If I understand him correctly, Frank is suggesting that this workaround can be forced on overlapping clips through the use of automatic fades.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to make it work, as demonstrated in my second video.  Furthermore, if we modify Frank's suggestion to use the null curve shapes described in your linked video (and mine), Cubase ignores them and uses the original fades instead.  Bug?  User error?  Not sure.

Just tested and those null curves seems to works fine here.
Still struggling to understand why some of you wanna do overlapping takes on a single track instead of 2 separate tracks. I mean, the total volume on that track would be boosted when the 2 overlapping parts are playing at the same time and make any channel compressor go nuts.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account