• Software
  • Sonar Alternatives: Cubase (p.15)
2017/12/23 12:18:08
soens
I only do it when blending 2 clips to make one, wherein I want full control of any crossfades.
2017/12/23 14:36:27
Frank-US
Resort Records
KHS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J2LhpHde84

Furthermore, if we modify Frank's suggestion to use the null curve shapes described in your linked video (and mine), Cubase ignores them and uses the original fades instead.  Bug?  User error?  Not sure.

There is a relationship between the ms value and the length of the overlapping parts. If the value is too high, a part could still mute the overlapping one. So it is a trial and error scenario. Not as convinient as it should be for this kind of workflow but at least it shows, that this already possible to a certain extend.
As most of us have already vacation, I can't have further discussion with our developers.
But I will put it again on the agenda beginning of next year.
Merry christmas and a happy new year to all of you ;-)

Frank
2017/12/23 17:37:35
joegab
Thank you Frank.

Please also remember the other problem related to the tracks that mutes itself while recording.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Merry christmas to everyone....

Giorgio

2017/12/23 21:51:01
cparmerlee
soens
I only do it when blending 2 clips to make one, wherein I want full control of any crossfades.

That is my situation.  I often need to take live recordings and cut out verses, sometimes even patch in good parts of other verses is there was a bad spot.  I ALWAYS want it to blend.  Every audio and video program I have ever used automatically cross-fades overlapping clips.  SONAR is great about this.  With SONAR, it is very easy to adjust the cross-fades if the default behavior isn't just right.  With Cubase, you can't even grab anything from the "underneath" clip.  It is really not convenient at all.

To do this "surgery" on live recordings, one may have to slip the rightmost clip left and right a little to get the timing just right.  Then I adjust the fades to make it sound seamless.  With Cubase, I can't even access the handles from the underneath clip, so I don't know how I could even do this operation in any productive way.

Like David above, I haven't been able to get ANY automatic cross-fades to work, not even those less than 500 ms.  But even if it did work, I don't understand the logic of limiting it to 500 ms or requiring the user to actually specify the maximum automatic cross-fade.
2017/12/24 11:31:30
KHS
cparmerlee

That is my situation.  I often need to take live recordings and cut out verses, sometimes even patch in good parts of other verses is there was a bad spot.  I ALWAYS want it to blend.  Every audio and video program I have ever used automatically cross-fades overlapping clips.  SONAR is great about this.  With SONAR, it is very easy to adjust the cross-fades if the default behavior isn't just right.  With Cubase, you can't even grab anything from the "underneath" clip.  It is really not convenient at all.

To do this "surgery" on live recordings, one may have to slip the rightmost clip left and right a little to get the timing just right.  Then I adjust the fades to make it sound seamless.  With Cubase, I can't even access the handles from the underneath clip, so I don't know how I could even do this operation in any productive way.

Like David above, I haven't been able to get ANY automatic cross-fades to work, not even those less than 500 ms.  But even if it did work, I don't understand the logic of limiting it to 500 ms or requiring the user to actually specify the maximum automatic cross-fade.

Automatic crossfades do work in Cubase once you have enabled it from the auto fades menu. However, they do not show as visible crossfades like when you do a manual crossfade, but the crossfades are still there even you can't see them.

The reason to specify the length of the auto fades are because when we do audio editing, and more so using the slip editing method, we only want a crossfade value of around 2-5ms depending what we are editing. If the auto fade was always same length as overlapping audio, it would be useless.
2017/12/24 15:48:54
cparmerlee
KHS
Automatic crossfades do work in Cubase once you have enabled it from the auto fades menu. However, they do not show as visible crossfades like when you do a manual crossfade, but the crossfades are still there even you can't see them.

Thanks.  I'll give it another listen.  You are correct in surmising that my comment was based on the visual appearance.

So let me summarize.  With SONAR (and every other program I have worked with) if I slip one clip over another, the fade extends over the entire overlap area.  If I don't want so much overlap, I shorten the clip.  In SONAR, I can easily shorten any clip because if I select the clip, its handles are accessible, even if it is "underneath."

With CUBASE, I pre-determine what I think the "correct" length of cross-fade will be.  Then when I slip one clip over another, only that specified length does a fade (with no visual indication).  And the rest of the overlapped part of the underneath clip is silenced.  As an example, If you set the cross-fade length for 100 ms, and have an overlap length of 1000 ms, the first 900 ms of the underneath clip will be silenced automatically.

I guess I can see a certain logic to that, but it seems backwards to me.  If I chose the "right" autofade length, then I can drag the underneath clip left and right until the timing is right.  I will still have to edit the length of the "on top" clip, and I may have to go completely out of my way to change the fade length if I don't like the result using my specified normal autofade length.

Now that I understand it better, I'll give it a try to see if it is as awkward as it sounds.

2017/12/24 15:59:19
JohanSebatianGremlin
I'm learning more and getting more comfortable with Cubase as I spend more time with it. I think I've finally got the ins and outs and control rooms settings configured correctly (that only took 2 weeks to do what every other DAW does automatically). 
Pro tip for those still learning: You need to create and name an output on the output tab for every physical output, but you also must leave it 'not connected' on the output tab. Then you create an output with the same name on either the control room tab for main outs or the external effects tab for external aux sends. Its on these tabs that you actually assign the outputs to the physical ports on your interface. But none of them will work unless you also have a corresponding output setup as 'not connected' on the output tab. Simple. Not. 

Anyway now on to my question. Is there a setting to make playback stop at the end of the project? I've looked but can't find one. I asked over at the cubase forum but got no response yet. I've searched at the Cubase forum but only found threads that offered workarounds. Does such a function exist in Cubase?
2017/12/24 21:54:08
bwbalint
I am trying to consolidate some of the extra midi and audio loops that are bundled with some various DAW's.  Sonar's and Samplitude's are fairly easy to find, but other than in Cubase's specific media Browser, I can't find any of the loops or midi files that one can open up while in Cubase.  I have done a couple of windows search of 'my PC' with a few of Cubase wave files such as '01 bass 02.wav,' but Windows can't find it.  

anyone know where these files are located and how to access them outside of Cubase?

Thanks.  Happy Holidays!
2017/12/24 22:58:25
KHS
cparmerlee

Thanks.  I'll give it another listen.  You are correct in surmising that my comment was based on the visual appearance.

So let me summarize.  With SONAR (and every other program I have worked with) if I slip one clip over another, the fade extends over the entire overlap area.  If I don't want so much overlap, I shorten the clip.  In SONAR, I can easily shorten any clip because if I select the clip, its handles are accessible, even if it is "underneath."

With CUBASE, I pre-determine what I think the "correct" length of cross-fade will be.  Then when I slip one clip over another, only that specified length does a fade (with no visual indication).  And the rest of the overlapped part of the underneath clip is silenced.  As an example, If you set the cross-fade length for 100 ms, and have an overlap length of 1000 ms, the first 900 ms of the underneath clip will be silenced automatically.

I guess I can see a certain logic to that, but it seems backwards to me.  If I chose the "right" autofade length, then I can drag the underneath clip left and right until the timing is right.  I will still have to edit the length of the "on top" clip, and I may have to go completely out of my way to change the fade length if I don't like the result using my specified normal autofade length.

Now that I understand it better, I'll give it a try to see if it is as awkward as it sounds.

When i mention slip editing, that is not when you move a clip around to overlap another clip. Slip editing is when you move the audio inside the clip without moving the actual clip.

This is an example for drum editing, just bear in mind it's an older Cubase version for this video but Cubase 9.5 are no different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbdldKjutsI

This is the best way to do it, and like i said above, keep crossfade length at around 5ms. This goes for both drums, guitars, bass and vocals. So why only 5ms? Well, because that sounds the most natural and personally i prefer with the s-curve fade. It needs to be fast enough so you won't notice there is an actual crossfade happen but long enough to avoid any clicks or other artifacts. You don't want you audio to sound edited right? A good edit will sound like you have never edited, and that cannot be done with a 500ms or longer crossfade.
2017/12/25 01:11:16
soens
Would you let a doctor operate on you blind? "I can't see what I'm cutting but don't worry. I know I'm cutting something..."

If I can't see it visually, it aint happening.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account