• Software
  • Sonar Alternatives: Cubase (p.16)
2017/12/25 11:37:46
KHS
soens
Would you let a doctor operate on you blind? "I can't see what I'm cutting but don't worry. I know I'm cutting something..."

If I can't see it visually, it aint happening.

That comment only tell that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about..
2017/12/25 16:44:00
Resonant Serpent
Cubase is a complex beast, but I've found that it pays off in huge ways once you get a grip on what's happening. It can be as simple as any DAW on the market, or as complex as you want it to be. Between the macros and Logical Editor, I've found nothing that I can't do. The Logical Editor blows away CAL. Just having an actual built-in audio editor is amazing, and with ASIO-Guard invoked, I can run 20 to 30% more virtual instruments under Cubase than I could in Sonar. It's not a program where you want to stumble around and figure out what's happening. Invest in some of the tutorial programs online, and you'll be up to speed in less than a week.

One of the gripes people had with Sonar is that there really were no big names using the program. You had some higher profiles on music for games, but even the biggest one was using Sonar 5. Cubase is used by a myriad of professional composers and musicians.

For a good overview of the capabilities of Cubase, scroll to the bottom of this page and check out Season 1 of Junkie XL's tutorials. The guy composes for huge films, and has a lot of peripheral equipment :

http://www.junkiexl.com/tutorials/

2017/12/26 01:06:00
cparmerlee
Cubase seems to have some strangeness in how it handles stretching clips.  If you long-click the main arrow tool button, there are options for how that tool works.  One of the options causes stretching instead of cropping.  That all works just as expected.  But if you copy a clip that has been shrunk (compressed into smaller time,) it seem to me the results are inconsistent.  And likewise if you drag the middle-right handle on the clip, which is supposed to repeat the clip, what gets repeated is sometimes the original length and sometimes the shortened length.

The whole thing is baffling.  Has anybody figured out how to deal with this?
2017/12/26 07:43:00
Resort Records
KHS
soens
Would you let a doctor operate on you blind? "I can't see what I'm cutting but don't worry. I know I'm cutting something..."

If I can't see it visually, it aint happening.

That comment only tell that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about..

Actually, it's a perfectly reasonable analogy. Your response, on the other hand, is unnecessarily combative and unprofessional. Please, keep your comments productive. We are here to help our colleagues out of an unfortunate situation - not kick them when they're down.
2017/12/26 11:55:57
KHS
Resort Records

Actually, it's a perfectly reasonable analogy. Your response, on the other hand, is unnecessarily combative and unprofessional. Please, keep your comments productive. We are here to help our colleagues out of an unfortunate situation - not kick them when they're down.

Not really, if he cannot see what he is doing then zoom in, simple as that. Same with the doctor, if things are too small for him to see properly he will use a magnifying device of some kind to "zoom in"

I said he had no clue because the slip editing method is actually how many pro producers are doing it.
If you need to have the tail of a guitar blending in with next part, it's no longer a single guitar and should be done on 2 tracks. Same with the more obvious overlapping vocals. You should always keep them on separate channels, else your compressor will slam it on the overlapping part and thus making it hard to hear the words.
With modern CPUs it shouldn't be a problem to process the stuff at separate channels. Also properly coded VST3 plugins will only take up CPU time when there is actual audio present.

2017/12/26 17:05:00
JohanSebatianGremlin
KHS
 I said he had no clue because the slip editing method is actually how many pro producers are doing it.

You don't have to be a mathematician to know that many is less than all. Just because the producer of the moment does something a certain way, doesn't mean my particular project will turn better (or even as good) by using that same method. 

If you need to have the tail of a guitar blending in with next part, it's no longer a single guitar and should be done on 2 tracks.
Change the word should to could and you'll have a valid statement. If you haven't heard the project, you're in no position to make blanket statements about the best way to handle that particular production.

Same with the more obvious overlapping vocals. You should always keep them on separate channels, else your compressor will slam it on the overlapping part and thus making it hard to hear the words.
Change will to might and again you'll have a valid statement. Yeah I know I'm picking nits but nits matter when it comes to this stuff. You simply don't know what vocalist is doing in each overlapping part nor do you know how the compressor is set. It might slam when they overlap. But not everyone uses compressors set to stun on all vocal tracks no matter what so then again, it might not slam the compressor at the overlap. And even if it does push the compressor a bit more at the overlap, how to do know that won't turn out to be desirable in that particular application?

Everything you're suggesting makes good sense for production general rules of thumb. But audio production is not one size fits all. Experimentation and alternative methods need to be an option if you're building a production tool that a wide swath of people will find value in. At least in my opinion.
2017/12/27 22:33:26
cohenville1
David (Resort Records),
You suggested in your comprehensive synopsis of Cubase avoiding installing the generic ASIO driver.  I'm seriously considering Cubase (vs. Studio One) and am in the process of installing the trial version of Cubase Pro 9.5.  I was hoping to not select the option to install that dubious generic ASIO driver, but I'm not seeing an option that would allow me to install it or not.

I understand also, from various posts, that it might be necessary to do the install, delete but back up the driver in order to avoid disrupting the installation of future updates as it apparently has to be present for the updates to install.  So, I'm ready to click on "install" and it looks to me like that generic ASIO driver will get installed no matter what I do.  Is that the case, or is there some action I can take first in this regard.

Note I tried posting this question on the Steinberg Cubase forum, and it apparently has not been approved for posting yet  - it's been 2 days and counting.  Because we only have a few more days to purchase the Cross-grade offer, and I was hoping to take it for a "test drive" before buying it, I can use some quick advice.

Thank you - cohenville1  
2017/12/28 00:20:05
Resort Records
For 8.5, it was on one of the final installation prompts. For 9, now that you mention it, I don’t recall seeing the prompt either. [I haven’t upgraded to 9.5 yet.] If it’s not there anymore, you’ll have no choice but to install and disable or remove it.

For instructions, try this link out: https://www.kvraudio.com/...iewtopic.php?t=393887. It speaks of both, disabling and removing. Disabling is probably the safer route. I’m on a phone and can’t do much better right now, but there are other discussions that speak of the necessity to restore the driver when updating Cubase. If you’ve disabled the driver, it’s just a matter of restoring the respective file.
2017/12/28 00:22:03
Markubl2
Just curious, why disable it at all?  Why not just choose the correct Asio driver for your interface?  That is what I did.   Maybe I'm missing something. 
2017/12/28 01:31:42
SiTheMon
husker
Just curious, why disable it at all?  Why not just choose the correct Asio driver for your interface?  That is what I did.   Maybe I'm missing something. 

Thats what I did. Just go with the install defaults and change it when you open it. Worked for me
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account