• Software
  • Sonar Alternatives: Cubase (p.7)
2017/12/06 20:14:23
raisindot
Resort Records
raisindot
One question, however: Can anyone tell me whether Cubase has a n "Event Filter" feature to Sonar's? I've seen the Event List, which is great, but I really love the Event Filter as a way to make universal changes to a MIDI track (such as replacing all occurrences of a note with another, a boon for rhythm track editing). I know you can do similar things in the piano roll view, but I really like Sonar's search and replace feature much better. 

Does anyone know whether Cubase does this? I've looked everywhere on their help site for "Event Filter" but all it seems to say is that this feature just determines what will be shown on a particular Event view. 

This is a nice example of the documentation troubles I described in my original post.  Yes, Cubase can do this.  The keyword you're looking for is "logical editor."

To complicate things, there's two living versions of the Logical Editor and, of course, they're named differently.  The Logical Editor runs as a function, filtering and transposing data as you describe - it's the closest thing to CAL scripting Cubase offers.  The Input Transformer, on the other hand, is pretty much an identical tool but runs in real-time as a MIDI Insert.  Consequently, it's not covered in the main Operation Manual - you'll only find it mentioned in the Plug-In Reference.  Intuitive, right?

Now that you know the keywords to look for, you can get  more help - you'll need it - in the docs, forums, and on YouTube.  Good luck and have fun!

Thank you so much! Having something like this in Cubase--even as complicated as it is to learn about--could really be a deal-maker for me. 

And, just to show how much better I think the CW forum is than the Cubase forum, I asked this same exact question on Cubase 9.5 area of the Steinberg Cubase and no one answered it. 'Twill be ironic if I have to come here to get my Cubase questions answered! :) 

2017/12/06 20:56:39
Makzimia
I sat in on a Youtube live room with Greg Ondo. OUCH, I am completely amazed how powerful Cubase Pro 9.5 is. I am still only scratching the surface, as I record. But, watching what some things are still not on my radar, that he demoed... awesome!. As was said well by David, MIDI is incredible in Cubase. It's of course part of where I started with it decades ago, on steroids now.
2017/12/06 20:56:54
Resort Records
ooblecaboodle
I need to be able to give out raw multitracks, and expect to receive raw multitracks. Extra steps such as removing all plugins and so forth just isn't tolerable.

Here's what I got from the Steinberg forums:  While there aren't dedicated checkboxes in the Export panel, as one might expect, there are multi-function buttons on the MixConsole that can bypass certain processes.  Hold the Alt key and press "I," "E," "CS," or "S" to disable Inserts, EQs, Channel Strips, and Sends, respectively.  These functions are also available via key commands so, for example, you could create a batch command that disables all of them with a keystroke and another to re-enable them.

Other options are available but sorta messy.  For example, you can render files in place (with the desired wet/dry options), but this drops the resulting audio files into your project's general audio pool and would need to be dug out manually.  Hrmmmph.
2017/12/06 22:19:32
Resort Records
raisindot
'Twill be ironic if I have to come here to get my Cubase questions answered! :) 

You won't be the first.  I've Googled other Cubase topics and ended up here. 

Another option is Gearslutz.  They host a dedicated Cubase + Nuendo forum under the DAW Talk forum.  For difficult technical questions, I sometimes have better luck there.  For example, I once asked the Steinberg community about the technical differences between Cubase's nine time/pitch-shifting algorithms (e.g., élastique, MPEX, standard) and got nothing but "Use whichever sounds best."  Ugh.  The first response I got from Gearslutz was spot on and thorough.  Very helpful.

2017/12/07 15:04:18
bartveld
Maybe this has already been posted, but just to be sure.
I got this through Gearslutz: Overloud will unlock its plugins for (ex)Sonar-users.
https://www.overloud.com/news/overlo...walk-customers
2017/12/09 00:49:11
bwbalint
As I continue some trials with Cubase, I would like to report that I have gotten my MCU PRO to work fairly well as a control surface in Cubase.  The only thing not working is the 'Marker' buttons.  New 'Marker' is not even working when I program a different button for it.  One thing I did find after much looking is 'Enter' and 'Cancel' in Cubase MCU PRO speak is 'Confirm' and 'Escape' under the 'Focus' category.  I did have a Cubase overlay which helps.  

I also have TouchOSC working well with Cubase as well.  Also managed to get the basic transport buttons for the VS-100 working and in-sync with the MCU.  

Samplitude PRO X3 has been a little bit more of a challenge in getting the VS-100 and TouchOSC working, but I will keep pecking at it in between guitar riffs.  
2017/12/09 01:03:19
abacab
bartveld
Maybe this has already been posted, but just to be sure.
I got this through Gearslutz: Overloud will unlock its plugins for (ex)Sonar-users.
https://www.overloud.com/news/overlo...walk-customers

Yup!  The Overloud plugins are my favorite Cakewalk extras.  The unlocked versions are working well here!!! 
2017/12/09 03:20:36
Maarkr
David's first post reminded me so much of when I used Cubase up to ver 4.  I switched because of all the quirks and spending so much time trying to make things happen.  Very pro package but I went crazy trying to get a real workflow.  I was leaning towards going back to Cubase but after reading this I really don't want the headaches again.  
2017/12/09 07:29:47
noynekker
Maarkr
David's first post reminded me so much of when I used Cubase up to ver 4.  I switched because of all the quirks and spending so much time trying to make things happen.  Very pro package but I went crazy trying to get a real workflow.  I was leaning towards going back to Cubase but after reading this I really don't want the headaches again.  

Well, I just finished programming all my FAV Sonar keyboard shortcuts into Cubase 9.5 . . . so now I have the same workflow with a better GUI.
2017/12/09 09:04:36
bartveld
Can someone give me some pointers about setting up a control surface in Cubase? Where to start, for one thing. I haven't reached that part of the manual yet.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account