2015/07/13 18:50:00
mrhoades
I am a composer of computer generated music and I use Csound, a programming language meant for music composition. One important aspect of my compositions is multi-channel diffusion. Using Csound I generate multi-channel .wav files, which I import into Sonar X2 Producer to edit. I have been doing it for many years and it works great! However, of late I am generating .wav files with more and more channels. As a student at Virginia Tech, I have access to a 144 channel system, for which I am writing algorithms that will create 144 channel .wav files. I can get Sonar X2 to import all 24 channels of a 24 channel wav file but it cannot import a 48 channel .wav file. Using Pro Tools, I can import a 144 channel wav file, however, I prefer to use Sonar, I have been using it since the first audio version (4) came, and so would like to be able to do that in it. Is it possible to expand the number of channels it can import from a wav file? 144 would suit my current needs.

Thanks so much,

Michael Rhoades
2015/07/15 08:39:02
mudgel
Someone more clever than me will have to answer that for you. I wasn't aware such a thing existed and wonder why Sonar in which you can create unlimited tracks, can't import these files.

It sounds like someone like Noël from cakewalk would need to answer your question.

Just as a matter of personal interest, what format do these files take?
2015/07/15 09:11:38
mrhoades
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.
Within the file system these multi-channel .wav files look like just any other .wav file. It is within the file itself that the header is different and so stipulates the number of channels. It is no different than a stereo (2 channel) .wav file.
For example, one of my test files is named "test_24.wav", which imports as a 24 channel sound file. As I stated, "test_144.wav" imports 144 channels into Pro Tools, but not in Sonar...I am a Sonar user and it is transparent to my process so I hope to be able to continue using it.

Hope that answers your question.

Do you know if there is a way to contact Noel or someone who might be able to implement this change for me?

Michael
2015/07/15 16:06:08
bluzdog
I think you can PM him. Menu -> member list -> search under N -> hover over his name and click on send private message.

Rocky
2015/07/15 16:47:02
mrhoades
Thanks Rocky. I tried to PM Noel but I have only been a member of this forum for one day and you have be a member for three... So I will wait...

Michael
2015/07/16 07:50:47
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Can you send me a an example of such a file? SONAR handles standard multichannel Waveformat extensible wave files and should be able to pull in as many channels it has if its reporting it correctly.
I will fix it if its a problem on our end. Thanks.

mrhoades
I am a composer of computer generated music and I use Csound, a programming language meant for music composition. One important aspect of my compositions is multi-channel diffusion. Using Csound I generate multi-channel .wav files, which I import into Sonar X2 Producer to edit. I have been doing it for many years and it works great! However, of late I am generating .wav files with more and more channels. As a student at Virginia Tech, I have access to a 144 channel system, for which I am writing algorithms that will create 144 channel .wav files. I can get Sonar X2 to import all 24 channels of a 24 channel wav file but it cannot import a 48 channel .wav file. Using Pro Tools, I can import a 144 channel wav file, however, I prefer to use Sonar, I have been using it since the first audio version (4) came, and so would like to be able to do that in it. Is it possible to expand the number of channels it can import from a wav file? 144 would suit my current needs.

Thanks so much,

Michael Rhoades

2015/07/16 09:29:02
mrhoades
That would be fantastic Noel. I would be willing to update to the latest version, I am using X2 Producer, if I could import these files.
As a note, I am generating the 48 channel and above wav files in exactly the same way I am generating the 24 and 8 channel files that do import.

My 144 channel test file is 254 MB. How is the best way for me to send it to you?

Thanks tons,

Michael
2015/07/16 10:18:33
mrhoades
Hi Noel,

Your message inspired me to go back and do my testing again but I did get the same results. A 24 channel .wav file imports perfectly but a 48 channel wav file does not. When I try to import the 48 channel file it imports only one channel.

For testing, if it is easier for you, I can send you a 48 channel file. It is only 41mb in size. For this testing I am generating a simple 10 second long sine wave.

Thanks again,

Michael

2015/07/16 15:44:13
Just put a link to some test files on google drive or yousendit or something and send me the link.
2015/07/17 08:24:30
I can repro the problem with your test file. Will look into it. Thanks.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account