• Software
  • What is "missing" in Reaper DAW?
2017/11/22 03:16:51
cecelius2
Hi:  I know some of you have highly recommended Reaper as an alternative DAW for Sonar.  I have never used it, but am now thinking about it as an alternative DAW.  I love Sonar, like Cubase, tolerate Studio One, and use Mixbus for final mix/masters.  I have downloaded Reaper and am viewing some of the tutorial videos on Reaper.  However, I wonder what is not found in Reaper that is found in Sonar, or Cubase, or even Studio One?

Question:   Can some of you let me know what are the weaknesses with Reaper?  or (more relevant to the announcement that Sonar is being discontinued) What is missing in Reaper that is found in Sonar?

Thanks

C2

2017/11/22 03:47:19
dubdisciple
More of a matter of what is different than "missing". Some different things off topnof my head:

Comes with minimal effects plugins. The instruments included can barely be called that. For people with tons of third party vsts this is no big deal.

I don't believe it has integrated Melodyne support.

No step sequencer

No pro channel

No matrix view

No bus channels per say, bit very flexible routing

I don't think there is an arpeggiator.
2017/11/22 03:49:12
The thing that gets most people is the GUI and menu system, both of which can negated with the HUGE amount of available custom themes, and the menu system is pretty much fully customizable, so you should be able to get something acceptable. There is a lot 'hidden' under the hood.

REAPER is probably the most powerful DAW going, it's just not obvious to most, you'll see people often saying "But REAPER can't do this or that" when in actual fact it can, they just don't know how to do it. There are good documention and a huge range of videos available, plus they have a 'SONAR To REAPER' guide pdf available, because they have a large number of SONAR Refugees already.

Try it, you'll either like it or not, the demo is fully functional, and it doesn't expire, 
2017/11/22 07:49:16
Chandler
I think I'm going to make the switch to Reaper too. I wish I wasn't forced to switch like this, but at least Reaper gets lots of rave reviews, so I hope I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Sonar.
2017/11/22 08:09:42
synkrotron
I'm using Reaper right now...

So much to unlearn!
2017/11/22 08:38:10
kitekrazy1
Chandler
I think I'm going to make the switch to Reaper too. I wish I wasn't forced to switch like this, but at least Reaper gets lots of rave reviews, so I hope I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Sonar.

Upgrades are cheap.  The website has video tutorials.  Part of it's popularity came from being a resource friendly app.
2017/11/22 08:53:53
cecelius2
Thanks for the info; the downloadable themes looks like they will help with the GUI.  However, the lack of ARA Melodyne is a concern.  At least I see that some have found a way to use Melodyne, even though it is not a smooth as it is in Studio One or Sonar.

I see there is some good video tutorials on youtube that will help.

I still will go to Sonar and use it until it no longer works.  My Sonar use has been very stable for the last couple years; so I hope I can keep using it for some time to come.

Reaper looks promising, and I think is it wise to learn several DAWS just for times like this.  For $60 it is a no brainer.

2017/11/22 09:43:41
synkrotron
cecelius2
For $60 it is a no brainer.

Absolutely
2017/11/22 13:55:24
dcumpian
Mostly, for me, it was the midi editing. Everything else about Reaper pretty much blew me away. I know there are composers using Reaper, but it was way too awkward for me for pure midi work.

Dan
2017/11/22 14:34:42
BobF
For those of you looking into Reaper, here are some resources that make Reaper awesome (to me):

My current favorite theme
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1719/Imperial_LCS-mod_v2.zip

A set of essential extensions
http://www.sws-extension.org/

A replacement menu system
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=518669

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account