• Software
  • What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? (p.5)
2017/12/18 16:19:47
kevmsmith81
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
kevmsmith81
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
For me it's a balance of honesty and efficiency.  If you are correcting almost every note and changing the phrasing so it no longer resembles the original recording, then your pendulum has swung too far to the fix it side of the equation, and your music has lost it's honesty and integrity IMHO. Fixing something that you *could* have sung or played OTOH for time efficiency has not.

Agree with this. 

However, I also see no issue with "over-use" of it as an Artistic approach, such as done by the likes of Kanye West, T-Pain, Cher etc.  It's all down to personal preference, really.

Difference between the examples you site is that Cher could actually sing the part without any tuning software. 

She was recording vocals way back in time when no "artist helper" software even existed.   ;)

Yeah, I know that.  I was just using that as an example for a well known artistic use of Autotune technology (and in fairness, the first that I'm aware of).
2017/12/18 16:56:26
DeeringAmps
Given almost every major recording artist uses some form of dangerous narcotic
Not a "good" reason to blindly follow suit!
Just sayin'...

T
2017/12/18 16:58:00
kevmsmith81
DeeringAmps
Given almost every major recording artist uses some form of dangerous narcotic
Not a "good" reason to blindly follow suit!
Just sayin'...

T

There's a difference between using drugs and using tools to assist with music production.  :p
2017/12/18 17:00:55
jbraner
Too many posts to quote.

Melodyne does a lot more than pitch and timing correction.
You can also extract tempo changes from an audio file, and also extract MIDI note info from an audio file.
And if you want, you can mess around with partials and do "sound design".

It's way more than a "autotune" ;-)
2017/12/18 17:03:48
DeeringAmps
Both are a "slippery slope".
But, you know what they say about opinions...
And I must admit I am very opinionated.
I think arbitrarily "fixing" pitch and timing is the "fast track" to pulling the life out your music.
Like most "spices", use sparingly.
But again, its just my nickel98 on the subject.

T
2017/12/18 17:25:14
azslow3
DeeringAmps
I think arbitrarily "fixing" pitch and timing is the "fast track" to pulling the life out your music.

When typewriters was replaced by computers, people have started to "fix" typos instead of re-typing the whole page of important document.
There is more "life" in real instruments, but people use Kontakt not only for "new type of sound" synth.

jbraner
Too many posts to quote.

Melodyne does a lot more than pitch and timing correction.
You can also extract tempo changes from an audio file, and also extract MIDI note info from an audio file.
And if you want, you can mess around with partials and do "sound design".

It's way more than a "autotune" ;-)

I guess my thoughts on the subject are, of all the things it CAN do, which ones are the ones I NEED for something like that to do, and the answer for me always come up NONE. That's not to say that my way is right and everybody else's is wrong. It's just the way I roll.  I'd never need to extract tempo changes from an audio file because any audio file I'm working with is something that I recorded, and the tempo will be how I wanted it. I actually have at least a couple tools in my toolbox now that can convert audio pitches to MIDI, but the times I've needed to do that equal zero.

Still, I'm not saying that other people should do what I do, and that's why I'm happy that ARA2 is coming to REAPER very soon. Folks who need or want that, will get it, and since I'm not waiting for Cockos to fix some bug that's been in REAPER for ten years and never looked at, I don't care if they spend some time implementing it.

azslow3
DeeringAmps

When typewriters was replaced by computers, people have started to "fix" typos instead of re-typing the whole page of important document.
There is more "life" in real instruments, but people use Kontakt not only for "new type of sound" synth.

I use Liquid Paper to fix my pitch or timing issues!

2017/12/27 15:11:53
ThSch
dubdisciple
(...)
I don't believe it has integrated Melodyne support.
...)

There is a plug-in called Reatune which seems to be very useful (you can watch a video about it in "Resources / Video / FX & Plugins / Fx & Plugins)

2017/12/27 17:48:17
michael diemer
I like Reaper, I've been using it for the past year and a half, doing symphonic stuff (yeah it can do that). Then I remembered I had Studio 8.5, so I reinstalled it (my Producer 8.5 didn't work right for some reason). So now I'm able to compare the two. My workflow is definitely faster in Sonar.

What I miss the most is, being able to click on icons for the various views, and they come up as whole page views. So much easier than the docking views in Reaper. (Although it wouldn't surprise me if you could make Reaper do that, as it's infinitely customizable. But not everyone is good at that).
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account