No Step Sequencer

Can manage:
No Gain Knob
No Matrix View
No Event Editor
Mix Recall

Yet to find anything similar to:
Groove clip
Clip property information in Sonar Inspector window. 
Special copy paste
Link Clips.
Waveform preview for instrument tracks.
Alt+click a bus track to select all tracks routed to that bus. 
64bit double precession engine during export
Upsampling?

Any insight from S1 experts will be helpful. What do you pals miss in S1?
2017/11/24 14:15:59
doncolga
Hey,

I switched to S1 this past Spring and I love it.  Have a look at these.  Each one is really quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WslWezLUXZ0&list=PL8i35_thZU6XXflI6jwYJV3tNM4LMRPua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXq16ppdmQ

Donny
2017/11/24 14:18:18
Karyn
Can we please keep this forum for its intended purpose now,  helping folk with Sonar questions...

Please post further questions about Studio One, Cubase, etc.. in the Software forum.

Thank you.
2017/11/24 14:27:55
Kylotan
Step Sequencer and Matrix View were so broken in Sonar that I gave up on them long ago, but maybe things improved recently?

The lack of Track Templates in Studio One is mildly annoying; I work around it with a combination of larger song templates and FX Chains. In practice it's not been as much hassle as I'd feared.

Lack of gain knob was mildly irritating but it's trivial to increase the gain on a clip (drag the handle at the top) and if that isn't enough, I add an EQ as an insert and just adjust the overall output gain.

Event Editor... never used it in Sonar except to look in vain for rogue events that might have kept it playing past the end of the song...  so not sure what an S1 equivalent would be.

Mix Recall - no equivalent as far as I know, sorry.

Groove clip - if you need to copy a loop, hit D to duplicate it. If you need to stretch it, hold Ctrl and drag the end (or Alt - I forget). Studio One also supports some sort of loop format and I expect you can convert a clip to that format if you really need the drag-to-repeat functionality? (Not sure though.)
Clip property information in Sonar Inspector window - does the Studio One Inspector not show what you need?
Special copy paste - I used this in Sonar because non-special copy/paste was worthless. What in particular do you need from this?
Link Clips - hold Shift and press D to duplicate a clip in 'shared' mode.
Waveform preview for instrument tracks - yeah, not sure there is an S1 equivalent. Maybe after 'convert to audio track' but that's basically bouncing it.
Alt+click a bus track to select all tracks routed to that bus - not sure about this. There's a little indicator somewhere in the console view showing how many tracks are routed in there, so maybe clicking randomly on that with shift/alt/ctrl might do something ;)
2017/11/24 14:28:28
Kylotan
Sorry Karyn, didn't see your post until I was done. Maybe this thread can be moved?

2017/11/24 15:12:10
doncolga
Yes, the gain knob...just click on the bottom part of an audio clip and it will highlight in light blue.  You'll see a gain adjustment handle on the top center and adjust your gain there.  You can do that to multiple clips at a time, dice up and clip and do very detailed clip gain adjustments.  Super fast and easy.  You can also toss the MixTool plugin on any channels you like if you want an actual knob.
2017/11/24 20:07:27
sonarman1
Thanks guys. 

I love the easy set up for multiple instances of VSTi outputs. Pretty amazed. Midi features like quantize, swing are pretty easy to deal with than sonar. Search function in insert fx rack is quite a plus. S1 also has smart swipe function of sonar. Pretty amazed with the easy navigation between multiple instruments and plugin windows (just like how we navigate to different tabs in web browsers) these are well made out. 

Its sometimes difficult to move on from few things you are used to, like the step sequencer. But it doesn't seem to be big deal. Groove clips can be pitch shifted in sonar according to the key and also controlled in relative to the song key with options available in the inspector.
Special paste is usefull to create multiple copies in single instance and also place them in specific order (like every 4 bars).
Hope they develop the track template feature soon. Also the lack of numeric meter in console is not a surprise(not many daws have this). Is there a workaround? Only the master bus seem to have this in S1.
2017/11/25 10:11:09
Kylotan
I looked into Groove Clips, and I think S1 doesn't have a direct equivalent. Sorry! But for the transposition functionality, ensure the clip is selected, ensure the Inspector is open (press F4), and near the bottom about 6 rows down under the clip name is a Transpose value - change that from 0 to whatever you need, based on the relative shift of key. It's not as simple as having grooves follow the markers, but hopefully not too onerous, and you can do this with several clips selected at once.

Regarding the numeric meter in Console - you can get pre-fader values by dropping an instance of the supplied 'Level Meter' VST into the inserts for each track you need it on, then clicking it to expand the display. Several of the S1-supplied plugins have mini inline displays like this, a bit like the Pro Channel I guess. Not sure it's possible to get post-fader values, although you can obviously send the track to a bus and drop the VST in there.

For pasting something several times in succession, I'd advise just a combination of hammering the D key to duplicate clips and dragging things into place as necessary :)
2017/11/25 14:09:08
synkrotron
Unlike SONAR, Studio One does not play back a MIDI note from the middle of it. The MIDI note only plays of the song position is before the note when play back is started. This was a new addition to SONAR and I got kind of used to it because I use a lot of long notes.

I use Step Sequencer a lot and the best work around I can think of is to set up a one or two bar event and loop it, as well as soloing the track.

Lots of other things, too, but I have to say that if I'd have started my music creation hobby and Studio One was the first thing I picked up I am sure I would be more than happy with it.

I am simply too entrenched in SONAR to want to make a serious jump over to Studio One at the moment...

cheers

andy
2017/11/25 16:22:49
mumpcake
SONAR only added MIDI Chase recently, so maybe Studio One will add it at some point.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account