• Software
  • What I miss so far in Studio One. (p.10)
2017/12/16 07:09:28
rodreb
Is the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 known to have any issues with Studio One?
2017/12/16 09:25:53
Rimshot
Tom B
mikedocy
Tom B
Does Studio One  (S1) have an equivalent of the SONAR "Aux Track" ? 

SOP's audio tracks can be routed and recorded just like Sonar's aux tracks.
So yes, it has the equivalent of Sonar's aux tracks.
The audio tracks in SOP have all the routing capabilities built-in. There is no need to have a separate "aux track".

Tell us specifically what you like to do with aux tracks in Sonar and I will tell you if it is possible to do the same thing in SOP.
Most likely, it is possible to do anything in SOP that aux tracks did in Sonar.

Mike,

Thanks for offering to help out with my understanding of Studio One Pro (SOP).

Here's a fairly simple test case in SONAR --  maybe it's a bit contrived but easy to explain:
- Create a reverb bus.
- On some audio channels, create sends and apply effects to the reverb bus.
- Of course, on playback, the audio tracks will play and reverb will be heard.
Using an "Aux Track", the reverb bus can be recorded to an audio track as follows:
- On the reverb bus output select, "New Aux Track".  This creates an audio track labeled "Aux1"
- Record enable the  "Aux1"  track and hit record.  BTW, the track can have an arbitrary name.

The result is that the reverb bus has now been recorded onto an audio track (Aux1).  This  is different from bouncing or rendering since the new audio track includes all the signals and effects from the bus. 

Just curious if this can be done similarly in SOP.   I probably should ask the question on the PreSonus forum where there's a topic for SONAR questions.

FYI for those new to S1: In SONAR, a common use for an Aux Track was to print the metronome to an audio track. Studio One has a feature to render the metronome to audio.  

In SOP, you create a bus and send whatever you want to it.
Then, you can use that bus output as the input for a new audiio track and then simply record that input.
Very easy.

2017/12/16 22:08:46
Tom B
Rimshot
Tom B
mikedocy
Tom B
Does Studio One  (S1) have an equivalent of the SONAR "Aux Track" ? 

SOP's audio tracks can be routed and recorded just like Sonar's aux tracks.
So yes, it has the equivalent of Sonar's aux tracks.
The audio tracks in SOP have all the routing capabilities built-in. There is no need to have a separate "aux track".

Tell us specifically what you like to do with aux tracks in Sonar and I will tell you if it is possible to do the same thing in SOP.
Most likely, it is possible to do anything in SOP that aux tracks did in Sonar.

In SOP, you create a bus and send whatever you want to it.
Then, you can use that bus output as the input for a new audiio track and then simply record that input.
Very easy.

Thanks Rimshot.  Just tried your suggestion, and indeed, it's very easy to record a bus to an audio track in SOP!

Summary: Studio One has an equivalent to SONAR's Aux Tracks. 
Tip: Make sure to create the Studio One audio track as stereo.  Otherwise, the bus name will not appear in the audio track's input list.

2017/12/16 23:23:45
abacab
Tom B

Summary: Studio One has an equivalent to SONAR's Aux Tracks. 
Tip: Make sure to create the Studio One audio track as stereo.  Otherwise, the bus name will not appear in the audio track's input list.

Nice!!! 
2017/12/17 02:59:27
cparmerlee
Kylotan
Lack of gain knob was mildly irritating but it's trivial to increase the gain on a clip (drag the handle at the top) and if that isn't enough, I add an EQ as an insert and just adjust the overall output gain.

If we are talking about recorded material, I never used the gain knob in SONAR.  If my levels are off that far, I take the WAVs into RX6 (or any other external WAV editor will work) to normalize them outside of the DAW.  There is often some other clean-up I want to do while I am in there anyway.  If the files are normalized to -2 dB or -3 dB, I don't see any need for a trim knob.

2017/12/17 17:27:32
dcmg
Also, regarding the SONAR aux track, SO treats Folder tracks almost like busses, whereas SONAR treated a folder just as..well a folder.

If you create a folder track with several tracks within, you can make sure that's visible and able to be opened and closed in the console view as well. So the folder and buss function almost becomes one in the same. You can then apply any effects or inserts to that FOLDER ( like an aux track or traditional buss).

This allows me to use SO's (Folder/Buss) combo much the way I used Aux tracks.

(Sorry if my explanation is not totally clear..I'm still a newbie with SO but the alternative to AUX tracks was one of the first things I looked for as I used them a lot. The "Folder/Buss" relationship allows for much of the same functionality from what I can see)
2017/12/22 07:42:34
synkrotron
I would like to rename some of my VSTs

Friendly Names, if you like.

If I place Unfiltered Audio Fault into a FX Bin I can only see UnfilteredAu.

I know I can edit that in the Edit panel for the VST but it would be easier if I could rename Unfiltered Audio Fault to just plain old Fault, so I don't have to keep renaming the insert.

So, not "missing" it as such, just a very minor inconvenience for me.

Everyone say "awww..."
2017/12/22 09:54:15
soens
Instrument Definitions for hardware synths, etc. All you get is Bank & Program numbers but no way to assign a particular voice without cycling thru the #'s or guessing. Apparently modern DAWs don't think anyone uses them anymore.

Read this and tell me what you think.

It has been a feature request since v1 but so far nothing has been implemented.

Cubase has a patchname file similar to Sonar INS files but I found it not working 100%.
2017/12/22 11:23:38
dubdisciple
I also miss the ability to open an editor within program. I don't miss the step sequencer at all because it never quite felt like the one in fl studio.
2017/12/22 14:19:15
soens
Studio One Prime cannot use 3rd party plugins!

Or Macros!

What do you expect for FREE?!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account