• Software
  • What I miss so far in Studio One. (p.12)
2017/12/24 09:17:07
sonarman1

Those are general color schemes (which I do use), not actual customization like Sonar's Theme Editor & Panu's Duckbar can do.

If someone can create a mod that makes S1 look a bit like Sonar. That would be Wow.

2017/12/24 09:22:17
sonarman1

If someone can create a mod that makes S1 look a bit like Sonar. That would be Wow.

Well I guess as long as it's optional, after using Studio One for 2 1/2 years or so (since release of v3) I can't stand the sight of SONAR, the few times I have fired it up in the last 6 months I couldn't wait to shut it down, it's gastly, just looks and feels old and well . . . no thanks.
2017/12/24 10:50:22
soens
AFAIK, Studio One 3's GUI files are locked away. It seems v1 & 2 could be altered by Studio One Toolkit. But it appears to be no longer available.
2017/12/24 20:13:34
Jeff Evans
I think it is a case of having all that control over the GUI does not fit into the Studio One philosophy. They are more concerned with workflow and getting things done. In all my 6 years or so I have never given being able to change the GUI a thought. Perhaps it is because all those thousands of hours I have spent using it I am creating music rather than tweaking the GUI.

For some it is simply not necessary because the GUI is actually really sweet just as it is and super well designed. So much so in fact you don't have to change it. Just learn it and get on with it instead. The colour and brightness/contrast options are actually all I need to be able to get it looking the way I prefer.

If you are really intent on doing this I say move on to a DAW that allows you to do it. You might find yourself wasting a lot of time doing this rather than getting on with just making music which is something that Studio One is super good at. I wonder sometimes how productive these so called DAW's are that allow you to do a million things and have a million choices are compared to Studio One. That is the real test for me. For me the whole software just seems to slip back into a level of unobtrusiveness that allows a super level of productivity to shine forward. This is the real stuff that is important. Especially doing pro work too where time constraints often apply.

Another problem you might have too is all the tutorials and tips and tricks etc that relate to GUI elements are based on where they are now and not where you may be moving them too. Changing them around may in fact slow you down and inhibit the learning process somewhat.
2017/12/24 21:14:37
Marshall
I have asked for help on this over on the PreSonus forum, but so far to no avail. I have watched numerous videos, but still no luck...

In Sonar, I always used the "Sound on Sound" recording mode within a project. This meant I could record a bit of guitar (or vocals, whatever), stop, then place a marker just before the end of the recorded audio, start recording again  from that marker (on the same track), hear the audio between the marker and the end of the original clip, AND record on top of it.

I posted this on PreSonus forum to try to explain this:

Please help - I record a section of audio. Then I place a marker towards the end of the recorded audio. I now want to record a further section of audio on the same track, hear the section between the marker and the end of the original audio, and record a second piece of audio, leaving the original piece intact. 

I have selected "play overlaps" on the track, but I cannot hear the original audio when record is enabled, hence I do not know when to "come in" for the second piece of audio. 

It seems that PreSonus does not support "Sound on Sound" mode like I have got used to in Sonar. It was suggested that I duplicate the track and record each bit of audio on separate tracks. This works, but is cumbersome to say the least, as I have keep changing the record enabled track. 

I am more than prepared to alter my workflow, but I don't know how to do it efficiently. 
2017/12/24 21:33:24
Jeff Evans
Some of these may help:

https://m.youtube.com/wat.?t=49s&v=iuY9rZVl2JE

And maybe this too:

https://m.youtube.com/wat.?t=53s&v=0QDTMlz8tRs

It may be a combination of using Record Mix mode and Takes to Layers. Thereby creating new layers for the recordings you are making.
2017/12/24 22:07:54
StepD
Matron Landslide

Well I guess as long as it's optional, after using Studio One for 2 1/2 years or so (since release of v3) I can't stand the sight of SONAR, the few times I have fired it up in the last 6 months I couldn't wait to shut it down, it's gastly, just looks and feels old and well . . . no thanks.

You're not included with the S1 crossgrade, are you? Worst S1 PR person ever. ;-)  You should change your user name to Axegrinder.
2017/12/25 01:01:43
soens
GUI hacks or not, I'm liking SO3 better than the rest... so far. Function and easibility come 1st!
2017/12/25 05:07:28
dubdisciple
The sonar/cakewalk world seems so different than world outside when it comes to topics like GUI. When i come here it feels like so many are out of step.
2017/12/25 08:41:42
Marshall
Jeff Evans
Some of these may help:

https://m.youtube.com/wat.?t=49s&v=iuY9rZVl2JE

And maybe this too:

https://m.youtube.com/wat.?t=53s&v=0QDTMlz8tRs

It may be a combination of using Record Mix mode and Takes to Layers. Thereby creating new layers for the recordings you are making.

Thanks Jeff, howver I had already seen those videos and am still confused. Anyone else able to chime in? Surely I wasn't the only guy using Sound on Sound mode in Sonar?!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account