• Software
  • What I miss so far in Studio One. (p.13)
2017/12/25 10:35:31
sonarman1
I dont like every aspect of Sonar's GUI but the console view is awesome. I feel very inspired to mix while looking at sonar's console view, S1 console view is very cartoonish or in other words has a very digitalized look. Perhaps this wont be an issue to music making. But certain things goes well along with our brain and keep us inspired during work.
2017/12/25 10:51:42
synkrotron
I don't mind the look of the Console but I would like to be able to have the busses to the right of the Master Bus...
2017/12/25 19:48:00
Jeff Evans
Hi Marshall. I am away from my studio right now but happy to look into what you are trying to do. Can you explain a little more clearly what you are trying to do. One thing is for certain there is usually a way Studio One can do exactly what you are used to. It will be just a matter of figuring out the exact workflow required. And I am sure it can be done as well without having to create a separate track for each take as well.

I don't mind the console at all in fact I really like it. The console works well too on a separate monitor and extended fully vertically as well showing inserts and sends permanently. Presonus plugins can also be opened as a mini thumbnail as well while in console view and this can also be very helpful. The height of the faders are also variable. The console certainly does not impeded music making. In fact it enhances it in its own way.

The master buss being the very last thing to the right in the console in my opinion is also the smartest thing. Otherwise you would loose it half the time. Buses can be to the right or allowed to live next to tracks. Faderport 1 and 8/16 at the touch of a button can also take instant control over the masterbuss which is very cool. Once you start using Studio One with any of the Faderport models you will never go back either.
2017/12/25 20:33:10
mumpcake
I decided to look at Studio One.  One thing I haven't been able to do is be able to repeat a clip by dragging it on the right edge.  My Google-fu only seemed to find a feature request for that on their forum. 

Fortunately, for everything else someone has said that they miss in this thread, Jeff has pointed out a solution, so I hope his record holds for this one too.

2017/12/25 20:42:18
Jeff Evans
Select the clip and press D. It will generate an exact copy to the right of the selected clip. Hold D down and you will get multiple clips being duplicated continuously. Time to learn the key commands! Make sure the clip is the exact grid length though for exact copy timing. I think there is a repeat command too. I have not used it much.
2017/12/25 21:20:14
mumpcake
Jeff Evans
Time to learn the key commands!

Yes it is!  I was trying to copy a clip last night, took me forever to figure out that it was Alt-click instead of Ctrl-click.
2017/12/25 21:37:19
Jeff Evans
A good thing to do is to visit Studio One Expert and do a search for the Unofficial Studio One V3 manual. You will find a link there and you can download. Of course the manual is also in Studio One. The PDF manual in your account is a little out of date.

Do some searches on Duplicate. There are a few options in terms of duplication of events (midi and audio) For example copies are usually not shared meaning changes made in one won't be reflected in the others. However you can make copies shared meaning changes made in one copy will be reflected in all others. (Handy!!!!)

The Duplicate command on the menu allows you to create a number of copies between designated points on the time line. An event can be selected and hold down Alt and drag and then a copy is made etc..
2017/12/25 23:18:06
soens
You can download a PDF of SO3's key commands from your My PreSonus page.
Once there, go to My Purchases and click on GET ALL CONTENT, scroll down to Extra Downloads and click on Misc.
Once there you'll see Release Notes and SO3 Key Commands PDFs.

It's 3 pages so I was able to set my print options so it's all on one sheet of paper with 2 pages on one side using portrait mode and shrink to fit.
2017/12/26 11:53:05
Marshall
Jeff Evans
Hi Marshall. I am away from my studio right now but happy to look into what you are trying to do. Can you explain a little more clearly what you are trying to do. One thing is for certain there is usually a way Studio One can do exactly what you are used to. It will be just a matter of figuring out the exact workflow required. And I am sure it can be done as well without having to create a separate track for each take as well.

What I am trying to do is to replicate the Sound on Sound recording mode that you can choose as a preference in Sonar. When I am recording a lead guitar part, I typically record just a bar or two, or even a couple of notes at a time. I want to do this all on one track. Let's say I record two bars, and I am happy with it. I then want to record the second bit. In Sonar, I would set a marker, say half a bar before the end of the first piece of recorded audio. I would then move the time line to that marker, and hit record. I would then be able to hear the last half a bar of the first piece of audio (I don't want to replace it), and know when to "come in" to record the second piece. 

I might end up with 10 or more audio clips (in Sonar-speak), all of which are overlapping. I want to be able to hear everything - there is no "replacement" going on. I am "blending" the clips together. When I am happy with it, I might bounce them all together for convenience, but that's not relevant here. 

How can I replicate this in Studio One? 
2017/12/26 12:46:09
Jeff Evans
Ok I have done some experimenting. I agree this is a rather unique recording mode which seems to be a Sonar thing.  And it may not be exactly replicated in Studio One (yet!) I will keep testing though. 

Here is a work around. You need to do three things.

1 Create a keyboard command for the duplicate track command. (not duplicate complete!, just duplicate track) There is not one right now so you will have find a qwerty key that is not being used or use a modifier for one that  is being used but I suggest find a spare key letter.

2 Go to Studio One Preferences (on Mac) or Options (PC) and go to Advanced/Console. Now check the box that says 
Audio Input follows selection.

3 While in Preferences or Options/Advanced/Console check the box that also says 
Audio Track monitoring follows record. (that is if you are feeding a signal into Studio One and you are monitoring it via the software monitoring mode) If you are monitoring through an external mixer then you don't have to do this.

Now this setup does create separate tracks for your takes as you piece the solo together for example but the good news is this is seriously fast.

Setup an audio track and record the first part of your solo. Stop at some point.

Press you new keyboard command you have made and you will instantly get a new track. The previous track will jump out of record and the new one will be set to record (and software monitor)

Just hit play and you will hear first part of your solo, hit the * button on the numeric keypad and you will be instantly in record for the newly created track so you can complete second part of solo etc.  Note you can also set the loop start point where ever you want and get Studio One to jump into record there for you. If you have got any of the Faderports, you can connect a foot switch and get this to go into record too.

Keep going as needed. You will hear every track play back. Keep adding on and extending the solo say on the last newly created track. You can replace any section too. Just stay on the last track and don't press the duplicate track key command until you are ready to move on. You can also jump back to any of the previous recorded tracks and re do bits as well. Any track you select will be in record. 

The advantage of all this is you will see all your takes on sep tracks. Then just cut and paste and move all the bits onto a single track. Do fades as needed to smooth transitions. Do a CtrL B on the whole thing to get a new bounced audio of the whole thing.

Not perfect but also not bad either and quick too. You will get fast at doing this. 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account