• Software
  • What I miss so far in Studio One. (p.14)
2017/12/26 14:57:33
Jimbo21
I haven't found it yet but is there a loop record in SO3? Like for instance the aforementioned lead guitar track I sometimes like to loop and record multiple takes at once. If already covered, apologies.
2017/12/26 15:11:40
Marshall
This is really helpful Jeff, thanks. The thing that makes it pretty slick is that each track automatically jumps in and out of record as you select/deselect it...and this can be done by the up and down arrows, rather than scrabbling for the mouse! Not perfect, but very close!
2017/12/26 20:00:14
Jeff Evans
Thanks Bill. I think it is interesting how Soanr had this sound on sound thing happening.  It is a great record mode. Remember too that Studio One is always improving and adding in new features.  It would not surprise me in the least they add that in as an extra record mode at some point. Probably in a major update such as V4. Which could be this year.

I think my approach works well at least for now. The thing about recording with the loop mode and doing takes to layers is that it works great except you don't hear anything from the previous takes and in your case you want to.

I know this does not apply necessarily to you but midi recording can be done the way you want in Studio One. There is a record mix mode that lets you hear everything and allows you to add in new material. They just need to get something similar happening in audio.

If I were to create say a solo in stages like this the above approach would be how I would do it at least for now.

Watch out as well for those two options of record mode and monitoring following track selection. They can be annoying as well when you don't want them. Just turn them off when not needed.

If you are also concerned about the extra tracks being created and taking up realestate another idea is create a solo folder say and do it all in there. Then you can just close the folder and it will only occupy single track width.  (Note - in the mixer you can hide all those solo tracks too so you don't have to see them all) You could also select all those solo tracks and create a buss and apply the effects processing there. Then you would not even have to cut and move the various solo pieces onto one track at all. Just leave them all separate and they are all addressing the buss. You would not have to fiddle with cross fades either just use the fade handles at the start and end of each event on each track.  You could also get creative and add special effects to just certain tracks too meaning some parts of the solo would get delays etc..
2017/12/26 20:20:36
cparmerlee
Jeff Evans
It would not surprise me in the least they add that in as an extra record mode. Probably in a major update such as V4. Which could be this year.

They will have to hurry.  :)
2017/12/26 20:46:50
Jeff Evans
cparmerleeThey will have to hurry.  :)

That is just the thing. There is no hurry. What a lot of people are forgetting is that Studio One is only 6 years old and other DAW's are like 30 years old. None of them were even remotely as powerful at 6 years old as Studio One is now. Even now at 6 it is only slightly behind some DAW's and already way ahead than others.

If people keep voting for the feature requests they will simply put them in. Plus the ones they think of that nobody has thought of and they are often excellent.  Next year we will more than likely have it all. Track Templates, Import session data, mix recall (which can be done now in a number of ways) midi event editing etc it goes on.  We even have VCA faders right now, which are excellent at times. It has been a marvelous program to use and grow with.

2017/12/26 20:49:57
cparmerlee
Jeff Evans
Probably in a major update such as V4. Which could be this year.
cparmerleeThey will have to hurry.  :)

That is just the thing. There is no hurry.

If they are going to get it out this year, they will have to hurry.  Personally, I don't mind waiting until 2018.
2017/12/26 21:18:29
Dave76
Jeff Evans
Select the clip and press D. It will generate an exact copy to the right of the selected clip. Hold D down and you will get multiple clips being duplicated continuously. Time to learn the key commands! Make sure the clip is the exact grid length though for exact copy timing. I think there is a repeat command too. I have not used it much.

Some bonus features for the D key:
- Hold down shift and shared copies are created (eg. changes to one affect all of the copies).
- Hold down alt and any existing events will be pushed over to make room for the duplicate.

Also, I find that Studio One attempts to guess a musically appropriate place to put the clip so keeping exact grid length hasn't been necessary. For example, if you have an acoustic guitar clip with the strum beginning before the first beat of the measure, Studio One will position the duplicate so that the strum falls at the same musical offset relative to the next measure. Of course, some times the guess is completely out of line with what you want but it is predictable once you play around a little so easy to compensate for as needed. 
2017/12/27 05:17:51
Rasure
Spent the past few days in Studio One 3 Pro, Liking it so far, the only thing I`m not keen on is how in Sonar I can work solely in track view and view all buses and outputs in that view, I have to keep switching to mixer view in SO just to see the master out. Be perfect if all buses were shown by default in edit/track view as and when they were added.

I`ve voted this up over at PreSonus http://answers.presonus.com/2805/id-love-to-see-busses-and-fx-tracks-in-arrange-window would be great if any Sonar users who would like this to also vote it up :-)

I was going to stick with Sonar, but been thinking a lot about its unfixed bugs and of course future plugin support, so have to make a move to a DAW that is strong and being updated on a regular basis.
2017/12/27 05:48:08
Jeff Evans
There is a way to set up Studio One so that pressing the F3 key alternates between the mixer being full screen and the arrange window being full screen. A la Pro Tools. I am on two screens so I am glad to be honest that the arrange window is only showing what it needs show. One could suggest that buses and things are best left to the mixer page. 

I prefer to do the mix changes on the mixer page and the music editing on the arrange page. 
2017/12/27 06:03:38
Rasure
Ok maybe not by default, but at least having the options :-)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account