• Software
  • What I miss so far in Studio One. (p.3)
2017/12/05 00:15:12
Tom B
This link to the Presonus forum has a very useful side-by-side comparison of SONAR vs Studio One.

In that comparison, it implies Studio One (S1) doesn't have "Ripple Editing".  As Sylvan asked, is there equivalent functionality for Ripple Editing in S1?  Perhaps it's called something else. I was able to move individual clips to make room for an insert in S1, but it was a simple project and it would be a bit cumbersome to move many tracks using this technique. 

So far, I've spent about 20 hours with the Studio One demo. I've been looking at the videos, consulting the reference manual and have remixed a 16-track song (transferred from SONAR) to get a feel for Studio One. 
2017/12/05 00:47:15
Jeff Evans
There are screen sets in terms of the mixer view. e.g. what is visible and what is not. Very handy for simplifying the mixer views.

There is a form of mix recall. You can save many versions of the song you are working on.  Still only one Studio One song but it might have 5 versions.  Any version can be clicked and the whole session just reverts to that version.

Nudging events on the same track is possible. There is also a way to move or copy events from one track to the other and maintain alignment.

There is a workaround for track templates. Like if you install say an instance of Kontakt with a complex output routing that can all be done in an instant from a saved preset etc..

Ripple editing is possible in Studio One

Punch IN in can be set differently to the loop

2017/12/05 01:33:51
backwoods
hey sylvan you should have a look into samplitude if you get a chance. it has some really cool audio recording features. eg you can set up multiple punch in/out markers along the time line so you can do them all in single pass
2017/12/05 15:43:41
mettelus
One thing I miss (to add to the above) is the ability to launch an external wav editor (specifically Audition) from the S1P app. S1P does not release a file for editting (i.e., it cannot be saved if launched from the S1P browser into an editor). I have never found a solution/feature request for this, but also admittedly have not extensively searched. In SONAR I do this quite often, and is a 30 second operation for noise removal during tracking.
2017/12/05 17:27:14
Sylvan
Jeff Evans

Punch IN in can be set differently to the loop

I have looked high and low for this and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to accomplish this in Studio One. Are you sure this can be done?

For example: I want to loop 4 bars, and want to setup an auto punch on the last two bars only. So I hit record, 4 bars will loop but only bars 3 and 4 will auto punch. Can this be done in Studio One? If so, can you point me to documentation or a tutorial that shows how? Or even explain it here if you have time. If not, posting a link to the info would be most welcome. Thank you.
2017/12/06 16:30:53
Sylvan
I see. I suppose I was right. This is not currently possible in Studio One. I hope they add this feature soon as it is or was a big part of my tracking work flow. I am quite sure others would love this as well.
2017/12/06 19:03:05
gbowling
Jimbo21
the hardest thing to get used to is the start at now time that Sonar has. All I've found so far is Alt P that will start back at the selected place and you have to turn that off and on and click to a new place for playback to start and  again hit Alt P.

Right-click on the transport controls and there are several options for what happens when you stop the transport. Selecting "return to start on play" is similar to the default way sonar did it. It returns to wherever you had the curser set when you started playback or record.

gabo
2017/12/06 19:18:45
Jeff Evans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuY9rZVl2JE

This video might give you some info about Auto-punch. The idea his you should be prepared to move the loop around and resize it quickly on the fly.  If you want to loop 4 bars and only record the last 2 then yes you need to be in record for the entire loop but only play in the last 2.  You can also use record takes to layers while doing this and end up with a bunch of layers.

If I only wanted to record the last 2 bars of a 4 bar loop I would be setting the loop around those last two bars anyway.  There are also a lot of pre roll and pre count options too.
2017/12/06 19:59:38
Sylvan
Jeff Evans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuY9rZVl2JE

This video might give you some info about Auto-punch. The idea his you should be prepared to move the loop around and resize it quickly on the fly.  If you want to loop 4 bars and only record the last 2 then yes you need to be in record for the entire loop but only play in the last 2.  You can also use record takes to layers while doing this and end up with a bunch of layers.

If I only wanted to record the last 2 bars of a 4 bar loop I would be setting the loop around those last two bars anyway.  There are also a lot of pre roll and pre count options too.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your efforts very much. I did like that "Pre-Record Audio Input" feature that the video showed. That is a very cool feature which SONAR did not have. I will be using that or sure.

However the Loop and Auto Punch feature is just not the same. Thank you for showing possible ways of still working with it, but SONAR's ability to have completely separate Loop and Auto Punch points is really what I am hoping for. Studio One does not have this, and that's ok. It can't be perfect and I understand that. This is an area where it could use some improvement. That's ok too. I would love to submit a Feature Request for this. 

Thank you, hope all is well.
2017/12/06 20:22:01
Jeff Evans
What I have found is there is usually a very workable workaround that gets any job done and that after all is way more important.  

For example everyone is screaming about track templates but there is also a workaround for that too in Studio One which allows you to store a very complex output routing from a virtual instrument as a preset and then you can load it.  e.g. multiple outs from a drum instrument coming to multiple mixer channels.  Then well into a production you can create a track and open this preset and viola your drum machine suddenly appears with all its routings.  This is common one.  Effect chains can also be created not only as a chain but a routing that involves any number of processors all on a single track.  This can be loaded in too in a flash.

They are adding features all the time.  At some point they will get stuck into the punching options no doubt about it. I have never had any issues with punching in and out.  There are some very good detailed videos on it too with Groove 3 especially as part of their extended Studio One series.  As always they turn up many features that you did not know about.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account