• Software
  • What I miss so far in Studio One. (p.5)
2017/12/07 07:47:24
sonarman1

For example everyone is screaming about track templates but there is also a workaround for that too in Studio One which allows you to store a very complex output routing from a virtual instrument as a preset and then you can load it.  e.g. multiple outs from a drum instrument coming to multiple mixer channels.  Then well into a production you can create a track and open this preset and viola your drum machine suddenly appears with all its routings.  This is common one.  Effect chains can also be created not only as a chain but a routing that involves any number of processors all on a single track.  This can be loaded in too in a flash.

You can add a group of tracks at once e.g. 8. And if the inputs all increment e.g. starting at Input 1 and going up one at a time to Input 8 you can also select that in the new track options window and it will do it in an instant.  if your inputs are all over the place then you will have to manually set them. And yes add FX and FX chains. Although chains can be stored and easily dragged in. If you need an EQ say on all 8 tracks you can select all 8 tracks and drop a single EQ onto any one and 8 of them will be installed.  Then you only need the preset settings for each track and each EQ can be set to that preset. Same with compressors.

These will certainly help. Thanks for the workarounds Jeff. However will be much more easier with Track templates. Hope they implement them soon. Again, thanks for the workarounds, the instrument presets seem to save every routings and settings inside the vsti but not in the S1 routing or tracks, still can comein handy than doing it all from scratch. 
2017/12/07 08:50:19
Jeff Evans
Don't forget you can create a Song Template. Not a song but a template for which you can start a song.  Any complex setup can be created and then saved as a template. When creating songs you can start from the template rather than the usual options.  Good for repetitive type setups and recording sessions etc..

What you cannot do is suddenly re route everything in an instant half way through a production.  But still you can select any number of tracks and create a buss for the selected tracks and they are all routed there automatically. 
2017/12/07 12:40:08
gbowling
mkerl
gbowling
.  I find the instruments in S1P to be better than sonar and the selection of loops is just as good if not better. 

Interesting!! I was just trying the S1 Demo and wouldt prefer the stuff from Cakewalk. Hmmm. Seems, I shouldt have a closer look . . .

Unfortunately the demo doesn't come with all the content, when you purchase S1P you get about 30gig of content. I think there is only about 10% of it available in the demo. 

gabo
2017/12/07 15:27:45
mkerl
gbowling
mkerl
gbowling
.  I find the instruments in S1P to be better than sonar and the selection of loops is just as good if not better. 

Interesting!! I was just trying the S1 Demo and wouldt prefer the stuff from Cakewalk. Hmmm. Seems, I shouldt have a closer look . . .

Unfortunately the demo doesn't come with all the content, when you purchase S1P you get about 30gig of content. I think there is only about 10% of it available in the demo. 

gabo

Ohh, really? Didn't realize / thought of this. But it's obvious. Shame on me :)

Thanks for your help
Cheers :)
2017/12/07 15:35:09
pwalpwal
don't forget you can still use the content/loops etc from sonar in s1
2017/12/07 21:32:33
btsabq
gbowling
Jimbo21
the hardest thing to get used to is the start at now time that Sonar has. All I've found so far is Alt P that will start back at the selected place and you have to turn that off and on and click to a new place for playback to start and  again hit Alt P.

Right-click on the transport controls and there are several options for what happens when you stop the transport. Selecting "return to start on play" is similar to the default way sonar did it. It returns to wherever you had the curser set when you started playback or record.

gabo

I have the option for "Return to start on Stop" enabled in S1. Is there an S1 equivalent for the Sonar command "Stop with Now marker" CTRL+SPACEBAR?
2017/12/08 00:33:36
Tom B
btsabq
gbowling
Jimbo21
the hardest thing to get used to is the start at now time that Sonar has. All I've found so far is Alt P that will start back at the selected place and you have to turn that off and on and click to a new place for playback to start and  again hit Alt P.

Right-click on the transport controls and there are several options for what happens when you stop the transport. Selecting "return to start on play" is similar to the default way sonar did it. It returns to wherever you had the curser set when you started playback or record.

gabo

I have the option for "Return to start on Stop" enabled in S1. Is there an S1 equivalent for the Sonar command "Stop with Now marker" CTRL+SPACEBAR?

I haven't found a direct substitute for SONAR's  Ctrl+Spacebar behavior.   In S1, the Stop (shortcut NumPad0) will do stop-now,  press Stop again and the cursor will return-to-start, press again and it will return-to-zero.  It takes some getting used to.  "Return to start on Stop" needs to be disabled (the S1 default) for this multiple Stop behavior.

Edit:
I discovered S1 Ctrl+Spacebar sets the time-cursor to the position of the mouse pointer. This is really helpful since it eliminates traversing to the timeline to set the time-cursor. 
2017/12/08 23:04:12
mkerl
gbowling

I also want to add that I wouldn't go back to sonar for anything! S1P is so much better even with a few things that aren't as good. The way we write songs, the arranger track is far superior to anything sonar had. The bend marker detection is much more accurate than transients in sonar and multitrack drum editing with the bend tools is also much easier and you don't have to bounce clips to get better quality. The ability to split and route FX on each channel is better than anything sonar had and I like adding console emulation in one place via the "Mix FX" on the bus instead of having to do it on every track.  I find the instruments in S1P to be better than sonar and the selection of loops is just as good if not better. Melodyne seems to work better and my CPU usage  is lower!

gabo

Meanwhile, I was playing around with S1, and I'm really impressed. Quick and easy - and I'm quite happy with the results I get with no effort. It's just fun to work with. No need to trash Splat immediately, but the crossgrade offer from Presonus, well, I don't think I'll have any regrets to go with it.

Cheers!!
2017/12/09 01:12:21
gbowling
pwalpwal

Good point. I need to do some organizing of files. S1P is very good at rooting around the finding things on your computer. Like all the vst's from sonar and other things. That's ok for now since I'm also still using sonar. 

But long term I probably need to put everything in non-sonar folders and point S1P there so I can keep things organized.  Need to think some about how to go about it. 

gabo
2017/12/09 01:29:54
mkerl
gbowling
pwalpwal

Good point. I need to do some organizing of files. S1P is very good at rooting around the finding things on your computer. Like all the vst's from sonar and other things. That's ok for now since I'm also still using sonar. 

But long term I probably need to put everything in non-sonar folders and point S1P there so I can keep things organized.  Need to think some about how to go about it. 

gabo

Yes, the scan from S1 is automatic and access through the browser inside is easy. Organizing is another story, if the full version comes with 30 gigs of stuff as you said before - I have a 256 GB ssd for OS + Progs and 1TB HDD for all other stuff and external drives. And I need avalaible free space on ssd since I work with Pictures and Videos, too. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account