• Software
  • What I miss so far in Studio One. (p.6)
2017/12/09 10:31:30
Tom B
Spent a lot of time with Studio One the last few days. Even though it was mentioned in an earlier post, I was surprised that there is no per-track signal peak display. Really needed that future earlier this evening. The level meter plugin can display the peak value without opening the plugin.  However, adding level meter plugins to each channel is rather inconvenient.  Being new to S1, I wonder if I missed an option to enable channel peak metering? 
2017/12/09 11:16:08
sonarman1
Tom B
Spent a lot of time with Studio One the last few days. Even though it was mentioned in an earlier post, I was surprised that there is no per-track signal peak display. Really needed that future earlier this evening. The level meter plugin can display the peak value without opening the plugin.  However, adding level meter plugins to each channel is rather inconvenient.  Being new to S1, I wonder if I missed an option to enable channel peak metering? 

Yes, this I miss the most. Btw the level meter plugin seems to show only the pre fader level. I can sometimes solo the channel and see the peak value in the master channel but its hard to live without this feature. 
2017/12/09 14:18:15
pwalpwal
Tom B adding level meter plugins to each channel is rather inconvenient.  B

you can do them all at once by selecting all the channels you want it on and then dragging the level meter on, it'll get added to all the selected channels
/hth
2017/12/09 19:07:51
Jeff Evans
You are confused with the metering as well. The meters ARE showing you peak levels all the time. I just did a test where I created a sound that was only 10 mS wide and went up to 0 dB in level.  It still registers 0 dB on the track meter which means they are showing peaks now. 

Level meters do not have to be installed.  Although what pwalpwal is saying is also correct.  Plugins can be installed on any number of selected tracks at once.

A good way to go is to monitor rms levels throughout your system by installing the level meter in a few key areas in your project and put it into K System mode.  Or use the Level meter normally and you will see both peak and rms.  I tend to monitor rms levels with a third party plugin such as the Klanghelm meter or the recent Waves VU meter (which is excellent BTW)  If you choose reference level such as K-20 for example then you don't even have to worry about peaks. They will take care of themselves and you will rarely get a clip light.  And don't forget too that the clip lights are also still there too.
2017/12/09 22:34:59
Tom B
Thanks all for the suggestions regarding the S1 level meter and metering in general. 

My question might have been ambiguous. To clarify:  I'm referring to a numeric readout which displays the peak level detected. For example, in SONAR, it's the number displayed below the level meters (e.g. console view). The S1 level-meter is very useful and I like that it can be inserted at various spots.  

edit:
P.S. Going to check out that Waves VU plugin. Sounds like they've modeled the physical VU meter movement. 
2017/12/09 23:32:10
RSMCGUITAR
Hey Jeff,

You seem like the resident expert on metering. I'm wondering your thoughts on the Presonus VU meter add-on?
2017/12/10 07:21:00
werewindle
Just completed drum map for SD3 (AD2 was already available) and will be uploading to presonus exchange in next few days, also working on some of the virtual instruments by Ample Sound.
2017/12/10 10:36:56
rodreb
Are the track/waveform colors in the track view editable in Studio One? I really don't care for how bright and cartoonish they look. Kind of annoying, IMHO. 
2017/12/10 10:55:04
pwalpwal
colours are somewhat configurable, plus the gui changes as you adjust the sliders

2017/12/10 11:20:17
rodreb
Thanks, pwalpwal.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account