• Software
  • Sonar alternatives more in-depth (p.5)
2017/12/28 23:15:47
Jeff Evans
I have been working with professionals for the last 37 years and many have not agreed with me so you are way off base there!!! 

I do teach but only one day a week teaching music in a private school residential college.  I am working with 15 year olds teaching them music.  I am highly regarded in that role by the way and it is not a money thing so much either.  I really love the job and it is good to get out of the studio.

It is very simple really and I am not interested in getting into an argument either.  If Studio One won't do what you need it to do then simply find a DAW that will.  Sounds like Cubase might be for you.

Just out of interest many Cubase users have migrated over to Studio One as well.  Wonder why that may be.  And there are tons of ex Sonar users that love it more than Sonar too.

You still have not said how long you have been using Studio One as well. Sounds like to me not that long. And yes Matron is right about the manual. It is not a good indictor of what Studio One can do. I wish they would update it a bit more often. Hopefully they will. The Groove 3 video on Recording and Editing Midi is excellent too BTW.

2017/12/28 23:43:36
tenfoot
Good to know Jeff:) As I have said many times, I really like Studio One. There are many other programs, Sonar included, to which I can switch if I need to do more complex midi editing. It is just good practice when making reccomendations to acnowledge any programs strengths and weakness, no matter how much it suts our own purposes, rather than dismiss those who's needs may be more involved, lest they be dissapointed.

As we have learned from Sonar, prosletising what we are familiar with in the face of evidence to the contrary doesn't help anything evolve,  and rarely ends well. Given the rapid advancement of S1, I am sure Presonus are well aware of its limitations and will have exciting developments planned for its future.
2017/12/28 23:57:49
Jeff Evans
There does not seem to be a reason why you fellas cannot keep using Sonar anyway.  Unless there is something I am not privy to such as does it ping the server every now and then to ensure you are still valid.  I have heard both sides of that story so I am not sure about that one.

We are due for a Studio One update V4 and they say it will be in 2018.  When they do a major like that it will often contain a lot of new features too.  Some say the midi side may not get a lot better but then again you never know either.  Many have have been asking for it and they do listen and often put the largely requested things in.

I cannot quite remember either where it is but I will look for it.  Someone has created an add on script that extends midi functionality a lot.  It is not a standard thing but I have heard it is reliable and fully stable too.  It contains many things people have been wanting for a long time.  It free too from memory.
2017/12/29 00:05:49
tenfoot
Jeff Evans
There does not seem to be a reason why you fellas cannot keep using Sonar anyway.  Unless there is something I am not privy to such 
I cannot quite remember either where it is but I will look for it.  Someone has created an add on script that extends midi functionality a lot.  It is not a standard thing but I have heard it is reliable and fully stable too.  It contains many things people have been wanting for a long time.  It free too from memory.

I have been chasing Studio One X midi scripts for a while, but am yet to find a version that will download and install. I would love to check it out!

2017/12/29 00:09:05
tenfoot

prosletising

Thank you, I had to look that up, I now have a new word

One would think they would be aware of it's limitations, they should be at least, I guess it comes down to what they give priority to, hopefully they get it right for the majority. Me, I am easily pleased, as long as they keep it fast, and stable like it is and keep moving forward I'll be happy .

It's probably over my head and perhaps out of my usage realm, but the new Midi stuff that Mr Anderton mentioned that will be unleashed in 2018 might be something to keep an eye on, don't know any details other than it's coming in 2018, but he seemed excited about it.
2017/12/29 00:13:37
Jeff Evans
I think Studio One X is no longer. I just did some searching. You can still get to a link that has a lot of downloads but right now there is not a lot of info as to what they are etc.. Or how to install. Windows only too.
2017/12/29 00:41:38
tenfoot
Matron Landslide
tenfoot

prosletising

Thank you, I had to look that up, I now have a new word

One would think they would be aware of it's limitations, they should be at least, I guess it comes down to what they give priority to, hopefully they get it right for the majority. Me, I am easily pleased, as long as they keep it fast, and stable like it is and keep moving forward I'll be happy .

It's probably over my head and perhaps out of my usage realm, but the new Midi stuff that Mr Anderton mentioned that will be unleashed in 2018 might be something to keep an eye on, don't know any details other than it's coming in 2018, but he seemed excited about it.

Haha - you are very welcome:) I would not want to trade the speed of Studio One for any functionality either. Clean and fast is how we like it. That is probably the most notable difference to Sonar. That, and everything works! Perhaps if I had listened to the Matron sooner:)

I will certainly keep an eye on upcoming developments. 
2017/12/29 00:44:33
tenfoot
Jeff Evans
I think Studio One X is no longer. I just did some searching. You can still get to a link that has a lot of downloads but right now there is not a lot of info as to what they are etc.. Or how to install. Windows only too.

Thanks Jeff. I had a play with a few downloads on my windows machine but couldn't work it out.
2017/12/29 03:32:00
chris.r
Kev999
Are you planning to put all the info you receive into a table and make it public? If so, that would be very useful to a lot of people.

Yes I'm thinking of doing that but it makes sense only when I get more comprehensive info about most of the major DAWs. I got Reaper covered resonably fine so far and waiting for details about Cubase.
2017/12/29 03:39:34
chris.r
Jeff Evans
Midi was deigned for music and best used so (...)

Studio One (and many other DAW's) can certainly achieve a very professional result and that is really all that counts.

Absolutely agree on achieving professional results in Studio One as well as in Sonar, Cubase, Reaper or any other DAW. If it's only about creating music I would be able to have it done even on my mobile phone or an old tape recorder.

But the next day I can get a quick job, like clearing a bunch of live MIDI recorded piano tracks and make them ready for printing as sheet music. That would involve some quick cleaning from ghost notes, using CAL scripts to delete doubled notes or do some advanced quantizing or to tie notes (make legato). Make a tempo map. Sometimes work on left and right hand performance - separate them into two tracks, then display them in one piano roll in different colors to see both hands at once and be able to make few arbitrary edits on notes/chords.

The next day I may need to work on vocal tracks and may want to use comping or vocalsync. Or replace a kick drum of poorly made multitrack drum recording. Correct timing issues within band members i.e. isolate drummer's feel and paste it onto bassman track.

Then I may need to adapt a synth performance full of CC data to a different synth with different MIDI mapping. Or even shape/smoothout the knobs moves of the player. When working in arrange window I rarely have clips aligned to the grid, when I want to move them I use the precious Snap By to keep their offset. Groove-looping comes here handy too.

Then I want to mix something and I want to have few of my trusted 32bit plugins in 64bit DAW at the hand. Of course at some point I may need to freeze some tracks. When my client asks for preview I want to quickly select a portion of a mix and export it to mp3 or flac.

Those are just some everyday basics for me... I mean DAW is a DAW, one day it's working for you the other day for your client. I would prefer to do it all in one DAW. I was doing fine in Sonar. I will keep it using but if there comes the time to move on I would like to know where is my next step.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account