2014/10/03 19:15:56
perfectprint
I want to be able to set my virtual instruments outputs to various tracks and record audio direct to those tracks. No bouncing, no freezing, just recording straight audio from both instruments and other tracks. 

[troubleshooting scenario example deleted to focus on feature request]

THANK YOU CAKEWALK and the community for voting. This feature has now been added to the IPSWICH update.  

2014/10/03 19:29:46
Splat
Can you explain actually what happened? (what is the detail of "****ed up?"). A crash? From the sound of what you are writing you are saying that rendering with a dummy clip is just slow?

Well this is something I've wanted anyway. 

Cheers...
2014/10/03 19:32:07
scook
Alex, this is the Features & Idea forum. I believe the OP just wants to be able to record synth output in real time. It is essentially the same as wanting to record audio with effects applied. It is something which Cakewalk products have never done. Would be an interesting addition.
2014/10/03 19:39:40
Splat
I'm just asking what he means by ***ked up, and I have backed up and agreed with his proposals Scook.
Yup will edit that last line out as it is irrelevant sorry.
2014/10/03 19:49:52
perfectprint
parameters inside of my twisted tools ensemble were changed as sonar attempted to freeze the synth. the resulting audio was NOT what I originally had orchestrated.

this was just the latest scenario that Sonar has shown its shortcomings by not having this simple feature - not looking for a workaround or alternate solution. just venting a little frustration and would really like to see it implemented.

i believe internal real time routing and recording is a feature of most other DAW's, Ableton and Pro Tools for sure. It is a great resampling utility, it increases workflow, and all around makes a ton of sense.
2014/10/03 20:06:19
Splat
That's weird. Undo did nothing?
If you have steps to reproduce it would be great if you could throw us a new thread here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Problem-Reports-f77.aspx

Anyway I still agree with the feature request.

Cheera
2014/10/06 11:22:30
gcolbert
I realize that there are 'other and better' ways of recording MIDI/Synth that are available, but sometimes I just want to use my MIDI keyboard and a VSTi like I would if it were an external synth and record the audio in a project.  I would go as far as to argue that this is a common expectation that new users have of a DAW's capability.  I believe that this expectation is prevalent enough in new users that it even deserves a track type dedicated to it (real-time synth or some such) that records the audio output from a soft-synth.  This needs an easy-to-select (idiot-proof) setup that allows the midi/synth/audio routing to be an audio input like a microphone for a regular audio track.

2014/10/06 14:11:20
stevec
Voted. Not something I'd use a lot, at least not in the past, but the more I play with Reaktor...

2014/10/07 10:19:22
sharke
Yes I've run into this problem with both Reaktor grooveboxes and Geist (when I arrange the drum parts within Geist itself). The dummy MIDI track works but when I was using Reaktor grooveboxes a lot I had a workflow down whereby I'd export the section of the track I wanted and dragged the clip back into an audio track. But many people, myself included, have expressed a wish to be able to record the output of VSTi's onto an audio track. It seems like a no-brainer and in fact I was very surprised when I first discovered you couldn't do it. 
2014/10/07 10:36:16
lawp
Historically it's been said that it is to prevent simpletons introducing feedback loops
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account