• Software
  • Is the Waves Abbey Road plugins worth having? (p.3)
2017/12/19 04:06:55
mudgel
tlw
I’ve all the Abbey Rd plugins except the microphones and vinyl ones.

I’ve never quite understood why you’d want to record someinting using an actual microphone which has it’s own response curves then stick it through an “emulated” mic and get the emulation’s frequency curves applied in addition to the ones already there from the real mic.

I’m just not interested in the vinyl plugin.

The rest are very good - the plate reverb in particular is very nice, but switch off the huge animation of reverb plates vibrating away or it can be a real computer resource hog. Same with the other plugins in the series that have animations.

Comes in handy if you don’t have a big mic locker. With a single condenser and dynamic mic it’s surprising what you can do. If you can emulate a compressor, why not a mic. At least insofar as it’s a different sound.
2017/12/19 09:55:33
Rimshot
$22.41 
EMI TG12345
2017/12/20 02:54:13
Fleer
Got the bundle too. Even the King’s. Yikes.
2017/12/20 05:10:07
Grem
Fleer
Got the bundle too. Even the King’s. Yikes.

I upgraded to the bundle too!! The only ones I didn't have that I wanted was the Tape and Vinyl plugs. But now I got the Mics too!!
2017/12/20 05:39:45
Jeff Evans
What is pretty cool right now from the is the Loudness meter. Normally $399 but only $29 right now.  Could be a very valuable tool.
2017/12/20 06:09:45
sharke
tlw

The rest are very good - the plate reverb in particular is very nice, but switch off the huge animation of reverb plates vibrating away or it can be a real computer resource hog. Same with the other plugins in the series that have animations.

Those stupid, stupid, stupid animations are the most bone headed idea ever. Why on earth would you add something to a plugin which does nothing for the audio but which eats away at your CPU anyway. I have the J37 and it's excellent but it really started to fudge up my projects until I realized it was those animations going on in every instance. I know you can stop them, but the setting doesn't seem to "take," i.e. you load the project next time and they're running again. 
2017/12/20 12:48:03
clintmartin
How do you guys feel about the Kramer Master Tape? I have the J37, Reelbus, and Hornet Tape.
The J37 is the only Waves plugin I have other than the freebies.
I found a guy that is selling Abbey Road Plates for $35....Valhallaplate is $50 and I don't have it either.
It's going to be this weekend before I can try some of these demos.

2017/12/20 18:56:08
Rimshot
Reelbus tape is nice. How many tape plugs do you need?
I use Softube Tape in S1. That is my favorite now.

For plates, I am really liking this:
http://www.soundtoys.com/product/little-plate/
I got it for free. 

Fabfilter R is also great if you can find it on sale:
https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-r-reverb-plug-in

2017/12/21 02:27:43
clintmartin
Tape sims are like any other plugin...they are all different.
2017/12/25 22:03:21
clintmartin
Okay...So after demos and deals, and buying from discounters, and private sellers.
I have Waves Abbey Road J37 ($29) ADT ($22.41) Plates ($30) and Redd ($17).
Not bad.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account