• Software
  • What other DAWs does this? (p.2)
2017/12/21 03:48:25
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
Don't most do that?

No many don't ..Mixcraft 8 has no ability do do midi preview at all from it's browser . Ableton Live has no ability to do a Midi preview w a chosen VST instrument ..it does use some sort of inboard non de-script type of sound ...
SONY Acid Pro 7 will allow you to preview midi files using a GM midi synth it loads up behind the scenes , this is sort of like what happens when SONAR loads up the TTS -1  ..in Acid Pro it will preview a whole orchestra using the GM sounds if that is what is in the midi file ..
I have yet to figure out a way to load a synth of my choosing ..lets say a Drum VST and preview midi drum loops  ..
If it can be done I would love to know how to do it ..

Kenny

2017/12/21 04:11:03
kitekrazy1
Studio One does it.
2017/12/21 05:25:46
dubdisciple
kennywtelejazz
kitekrazy1
It's not a DAW.

I hate to break it to you Sport , Project 5 V 2.5  is a DAW .....it happens to excel at previewing Midi VIA multiple synths  .

I can understand if it is not a DAW you are interested ....still it would help for you to get your facts straight ..
If P 5 in not a DAW then neither is Ableton Live , Bitwig or SONY Acid Pro 7

Kenny

Guess I have been lucky in that the two DAWs I use the most do it.

I agree with you that the whole "it's not a DAW" thing  is kinda silly.  It's not like some divine being etched on stone some form of DAW commandments we are beholden to.
2017/12/21 08:04:34
Frank-US
As already described, in Cubase you do this through the Media Bay. You can prelisten MIDI, Audio and Instruments and all in the context of your project. Means that MIDI and Audio preview is playing back in sync (tempo) of your project.
That's cool when you searching for any kind of loops that fit to your song.
2017/12/21 08:41:17
Jeff Evans
In Studio One you do need to have instruments installed. eg Presence with a drum kit loaded and say a piano virtual instrument. You just navigate to where the midi files live and simply select the track. Then play the midi file in the browser and it will address the selected track.

So if you were auditioning the drum grooves you simply select the track with the drum sounds on and the play the midi drum grooves in the browser. To hear piano midi files just select the piano track and start playing the piano midi files. No need to drag any of them out until you are ready to do so.
2017/12/21 14:04:25
kitekrazy1
kennywtelejazz
kitekrazy1
It's not a DAW.

I hate to break it to you Sport , Project 5 V 2.5  is a DAW .....it happens to excel at previewing Midi VIA multiple synths  .

I can understand if it is not a DAW you are interested ....still it would help for you to get your facts straight ..

Kenny

I failed to notice P5 in the background with that large AD2 screenshot.
2017/12/21 18:58:41
kennywtelejazz
Jeff Evans
In Studio One you do need to have instruments installed. eg Presence with a drum kit loaded and say a piano virtual instrument. You just navigate to where the midi files live and simply select the track. Then play the midi file in the browser and it will address the selected track.

So if you were auditioning the drum grooves you simply select the track with the drum sounds on and the play the midi drum grooves in the browser. To hear piano midi files just select the piano track and start playing the piano midi files. No need to drag any of them out until you are ready to do so.

Hi Jeff,

I'm still in the process of using my S O training wheels , Thankfully I have gotten that far w Studio One ...
The workflow you have described is my preferred way of finding new ideas , grooves and sounds w out having to commit to anything unless it gels ...

I'm under the impression this workflow is what the OP is asking about in this thread ...

kitekrazy1
kennywtelejazz
kitekrazy1
It's not a DAW.

Kenny

I failed to notice P5 in the background with that large AD2 screenshot.

Oh it's OK  Kite, I didn't mean to bite your head off and beat a war drum .
I'm still a little angry around the edges that P 5 was dropped years ago ...
The whole recent SONAR getting dropped thing brought some of that up unresolved frustration up to the surface ...
Sure I could have used a much smaller VSTI in my screen shot ..it would have been a better choice and easier to see P 5 ....next time ...

all the best,

Kenny

2017/12/21 19:04:11
Mesh
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
Don't most do that?

No many don't ..Mixcraft 8 has no ability do do midi preview at all , Ableton Live has no ability to do a Midi preview w a chosen VST instrument ..it does use some sort of inboard non de-script type of sound ...
SONY Acid Pro 7 will allow you to preview midi files using a GM midi synth it loads up behind the scenes , this is sort of like what happens when SONAR loads up the TTS -1  ..in Acid Pro it will preview a whole orchestra using the GM sounds if that is what is in the midi file ..
I have yet to figure out a way to load a synth of my choosing ..lets sat a Drum VST and preview midi drum loops  ..

Kenny

Kenny, does Samplitude Pro X3 do this?
I just got it installed yesterday, but only used it for a very short time. 
2017/12/21 19:39:38
scook
I believe Samplitude previews MIDI using the MS GS Wavetable Synth only.
2017/12/21 20:24:24
kennywtelejazz
Mesh
kennywtelejazz
dubdisciple
Don't most do that?

No many don't ..Mixcraft 8 has no ability do do midi preview at all , Ableton Live has no ability to do a Midi preview w a chosen VST instrument ..it does use some sort of inboard non de-script type of sound ...
I have yet to figure out a way to load a synth of my choosing ..lets sat a Drum VST and preview midi drum loops  ..

Kenny

Kenny, does Samplitude Pro X3 do this?
I just got it installed yesterday, but only used it for a very short time. 

Hi Mesh ,

I think scook may have answered that one for you ...
I'm super happy for you that you decided to get Samplitude Pro X 3 ...
Congrats to you , in many ways Samp is in a class all of its own
Sure a DAW w the ability to audition midi files w a chosen VSTI of the users preference while auditioning the midi content VIA the browser is something I prefer .  Samp not doing that has never been a deal breaker for me  ...
Samp makes up for it in so many other areas where it does excel  ...in some of these other areas where Samp excels many other DAWs don't even come close ...so I just roll w it

Happy vibes sent out too you ,

Kenny

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account