2015/07/26 11:26:21
stevec
Perhaps at some point a "Legacy Plugins" option could be added via CCC so that these older DX and/or 32bit plugins are grouped as an option.  But personally I see no reason to remove them altogether.  "Some" of them can still have uses, and that "some" simply changes depending on the user. 

2015/07/26 19:31:55
John T
I'd actually like the exact opposite of this feature request. I'd like for everything that's still legally allowed to be included, to be included. It's a bit of a pain, when doing a clean install, to have to dig out previous version installers in order to have this or that plugin appear.

Steve's "legacy" category is a great idea. Have that, and have everything Sonar's ever included in it. There's no reason not to; none of this stuff takes up any development resources.
2015/07/26 19:34:16
John T
I'd also quibble with this premise in the OP:

"Sonar is a PRO music platform, keep it so"

You'll have a hard time finding an actual pro who automatically values "shiny and new" over "tried and tested".

2015/07/27 01:01:12
mettelus
The legacy option would be excellent. Since I just reformatted and installed X1->Splat on this machine, that would have been SO nice to have had (especially for those confused with what is in which version).

For the OP, a related FR was to be able to rate samples more universally (which would be excellent). My issue is not that samples exist not to my liking, but that finding the ones I like a second time is not always "quick." As Bit mentioned, a lot of the material is definitely usable. Plogue's sforzando has been helpful to me on DP patches that only have selected keys available (especially those with discrete samples by key).
2015/07/27 01:28:49
RD9
A GM synth with modern, high quality sounds is an intriguing idea.  It does seem that if you had all high resolution synths, pianos, orchestral instruments, etc in one synth it would become pretty large though and might load slowly and might have latency issues.  However, if you had a virtual GM synth which was a front end that linked to other synths this might work well.  How does Kontakt 5 accomplish this?

R
2015/07/27 06:17:46
promidi
Soundblend
I Would like a 1 go to VSTi, fully GM comaptible, with great sounds, also with extended sounds
like Pads, strings, great pianos, basses and great leads.

How about a synth that is fully Yamaha XG compatible or even better MU100 compatible
2015/07/27 10:41:11
AT
The legacy products are included in SONAR for compatibility w/ older projects, not to be cutting-edge 32 bit.

The CCC idea is splendid.  Of course, older products from 3rd parties wouldn't be available for users who didn't purchase the SONAR version w/ that product, but all of Cake's stuff should be.

That should be a Cake priority (not top, but up there), since the whole raison d'etre of CCC (for us users) was convenience and organization.  If you like your old plugs, you can keep your old plugs.  The rest of us don't have to download them or wade threw them in our drop down menus.  Excellent.
2015/07/27 10:53:49
Mystic38
1 billion midi files cant be wrong ;)

GM mapping is the only standardised method of passing midi files with sounds between each and every computer (5 billion or so), arranger (millions), rompler (hundreds of thousands)..

you may as well ask for Sonar to stop supporting English, or wav files the end result is the same.

Adq
GM compatible? Are you in 1995? It is one of the most unprofessional things.

2015/07/27 11:06:07
Doktor Avalanche
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Mostly, such comments are reflective of ignorance.

Knowing how to use something trumps all kinds of bells and whistles.

I have dozens of cheap and old microphones that are great when used with experience and attention.

I use the "old" "obsolete" "decrepit" Amp Sim regularly.

If you do not like/want the CW included bits don't download, or delete as you see fit.

I suggest you complain about something that matters. :)

You are missing the point about new users who want new and shiney. That means nice UI's and efficient performance/reliability. Old users get to keep ye olde stuff if they so wish (I would still recommend dumping 32 bit plugins but that's their decision).

I'm not complaining I'm an old user. I'd like Cakewalk to sell as many copies of their software as they can.
2015/07/27 11:09:52
Doktor Avalanche
AT
The legacy products are included in SONAR for compatibility w/ older projects, not to be cutting-edge 32 bit.

Not true you get to keep the older plugins when you upgrade. One can only assume they are there so it looks like Sonar has lots of plugins. I would argue less is more... Or update them
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account