2015/07/17 18:16:46
williamcopper
Good post.   To those who say make 15 posts .. then you get criticized for flooding the forums.   can't win.    But I agree and have been bothered by about 1/3 of those ..

2015/07/18 06:39:22
mudgel
Some great ideas here. Ah! How do I vote for one and not another.

Great conversations too but only a few suggestions being discussed. Seeing as this is an actual request forum it makes it hard to support a single idea that's part of multiple requests. If this is where Cakewalk come to see what we want, will they really spend much or any time at this thread. Just asking the obvious question.
2015/07/18 09:44:01
somo
Spencer
sonar has undo on a per fader basis, just right click on it. I like it, makes the undo list far less cluttered.

it is indeed fairly ghetto that you can lose sight of a cursor behind another cursor in the timeline.

8) works fine, use Synth Preview Output in the browser

The Undo / Redo: I understand, but the problem is something else. Sonar does not record all the steps, E.g. volume change.

8) thank you ,  I'll try it...
2015/07/19 19:52:42
RD9
scook
This is feature request and is being refined. It just got off to a shaky start. This has nothing to do with how to use SONAR. From what I can see, the request is a rewrite of the Skylight interface with an emphasis on tiny displays. Moving some elements around and eliminating white space where possible.

First: Somo, thanks for a good and thoughtful post. I am working my way through your suggestions and already have learned a lot of new things about Sonar from the responses. 

Second:  Scook is right about the flavour of your post.  I was wondering what screen size you have since this may colour your opinion.  Would it be possible for you to describe your system in the footer of your post?  e.g. are you using a laptop? (I will be updating my own footer to include monitor information.)

Thanks,
R
2015/07/19 21:21:23
icontakt
I respectfully disagree that this is a good post. Most people follow the rule and create only one request per thread. Creating one thread a day for 15 consecutive days is absolutely fine. Also, many of the goals the OP wants to achieve here are already possible in Sonar. I hope this thread won't grab CW's attention too much. Below are my replies to each item:

somo
01.    Adjusted Screenshots do not work in all projects as well. When I create screenshots in one project and open another project, everything is gone and I must everything set up again.

Create your own project template and use it every time you start a new project. That's what project templates are for.

somo
02.    If I change position VU meter (Horizontal/Vertical) or set Narrow (Widen) Strips etc. in one project and then reopen this project, I must everything set up again. Inspector Window I must always docked too. Sonar should remember these basic facts!

Same as above.

somo
03.    Changing the Volume Level - when I 2x click into a cell with a numerical value of Volume, I can’t enter a number Value on the numeric keypad.

Works fine here, on both audio and MIDI tracks.

somo
04.    Sonar not remember zooming level of midi notes too - I open the project and must midi notes to zoom again.

This is probably a bug, not feature request.

somo
05.    History in Sonar (Undo/Redo) not working well. Sonar is not saved everything. E.g. Volume of fader position.

The fader position can be restore by double-clicking on it and select "Revert to xxx." Or save a Mix Scene before moving it. I don't want fader positions to be included in undo histories. 

somo
06.    When I create a Track Template, Sonar not store all the information. E.g. I save a Track Template with NI Battery + MIDI Notes + Mapping. But Mapping is gone! I must set up the NI Battery (Mapping) again.

You can probably just load the mapping in Battery. If it can't even save a mapping, it's a bad program, I must say.

somo
07.    Whenever I open a new project, I must to reactivate Full screen (Full Screen does not hold all the time).

Again, create your own project template and use it every time you start a new project.

somo
08.    When I click on a  "*.mid"  file in Browser, Sonar does not play MIDI from the file trough VST Instrument.

Works fine here.

somo
09.    Please add the “Duplicate loop / loops / selection” Function. It is tedious to always use "Ctrl + Drag and Drop".

Turn the clip into a Groove Clip (by selecting it and hitting Ctrl+L) and just drag the right edge of it to the right.

somo
10.    Please add the Zooming with mousewheel, as E.g. Samplitude, Reaper or Sony Acid. It's incredibly effective!

Already exists. Check the Mouse Wheel Zoom Options in the Track view's Options menu.

somo
11.    Please correct the loop points in the Ruler - When I place the Play cursor to the left or right side of the loop selection (loop points), I must always click on the piece next. Play cursor on the sides collides with loop points. This is awkward.

Not sure what this means. Maybe placing the play cursor to the right side of the loop section and hitting the W key once will help?

somo
12.    When I add a track via hotkey, always is added to the end of the other. Correctly should create at a track that I selected.

I get the same result even without using a hotkey. If you really want a new track to be created just below the one you selected, I suggest you create a new thread just for that. You might get some votes.

somo
13.    When I select multiple tracks, I do not move them all at once - it is not working. I must to drag and drop each separately. Related problem: all strips in the Console do not drag and drop(move)!

I saw someone request this already, and I voted for it. Can't find the thread.

somo
14.    CPU and Disk Performance Meter shows real only CPU Performance. Other parameters show nothing - HDD is always 100% etc. (= is it only bitmap?).

I don't find the module very helpful. So I guess I agree with you.

somo
15.    Please make graphic of Sonar more slim - Sonar has too strong dividing lines, too many panels and so on ... today is a modern slim graphics. Please skins?

I agree, to some extent.

somo
16. When I copy a sample using CTRL + mouse (+ drag and drop), so Sonar create next copy of the sample. When the project has a lot of copies of the Sample, the disc (HDD) has a higher performance and sound problems arise. Better to create links to the main sample.

Edit -> Preferences -> Customization -> Editing -> Copy Entire Clips as Linked Clips. 
2015/07/19 22:14:34
Doktor Avalanche
∆ This...

Suggest this gets moved into Sonar forums.
2015/07/19 22:14:40
Doktor Avalanche
Dupe.
2015/07/20 11:22:42
somo
Doktor Avalanche
Dupe.

Kokote.
2015/07/20 11:28:49
somo
icontakt
I respectfully disagree that this is a good post. Most people follow the rule and create only one request per thread. Creating one thread a day for 15 consecutive days is absolutely fine. Also, many of the goals the OP wants to achieve here are already possible in Sonar. I hope this thread won't grab CW's attention too much. Below are my replies to each item.

I know how they work templates. But why should I adapt? Sonar should work well without the use of templates. With this approach, Sonar will never be improved! For other useful answers thank you.
2015/07/20 12:14:10
Doktor Avalanche
somo
I know how they work templates. But why should I adapt? Sonar should work well without the use of templates. With this approach, Sonar will never be improved! For other useful answers thank you.

? What have you got against using templates
That allows you to do what you need right?

If you are stating there are bugs then you are in the wrong forum, you should create a new thread for each issue...If you seriously want Sonar to be improved you should have seperare thread for each of these items or vote on existing threads.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account