• Software
  • Comparing Sonar with Studio One (p.10)
2017/11/30 14:14:39
doncolga
GIM Productions
Jarsve
 How can I reach other than the few first markers in the song with the qwerty keyboard? I often have up to 40 markers in the songs. and they shows in the time bar.

Ok it's off topic....but Sonar gui is awesome!

In Sonar, how can you quickly get from channel 1 to channel 75 on the console?
2017/11/30 14:17:32
dcumpian
exitthelemming
One aspect of Studio One that might take SONAR users a while to get used to is how multitimbral vst instruments are handled e.g. Sampletank, Kontakt, UVI Falcon etc. It took me a few days to get my head around this but when you have several MIDI tracks routed to individual MIDI channels on the same VSTi and use a MIDI volume fader on just one of the tracks to adjust that track: ALL the tracks are adjusted?! This seems counter intuitive and the only way I can get things to behave in the manner of just about every other DAW on the planet is to enable as many individual audio outputs in the VSTi as I need for separate tracks and control the track volumes (and pan) from there via the console view. There are postings on the Presonus forums questioning this issue but it seems that the software is actually designed to work this way. Despite this, I have enjoyed working with SI hugely and for me, despite some 'habit induced' niggles,  believe that most SONAR users would feel at home with this DAW

It seems that the common perception for S1 users is that you are supposed to modify the individual instrument levels in the VST itself. This never worked in Sonar because Sonar would override the levels unless you setup some automation. In S1, it does work. Volume is not automatically reset on stop and start of playback. Having said that, mapping individual outputs is probably the best way if you like to mix with the instruments rather than bounce to audio.

Regards,
Dan
2017/11/30 14:28:48
rogeriodec
Has anyone seen this comparison? 
https://www.slant.co/vers...3/~sonar_vs_studio-one
2017/11/30 14:40:25
exitthelemming
dcumpian
exitthelemming
One aspect of Studio One that might take SONAR users a while to get used to is how multitimbral vst instruments are handled e.g. Sampletank, Kontakt, UVI Falcon etc. It took me a few days to get my head around this but when you have several MIDI tracks routed to individual MIDI channels on the same VSTi and use a MIDI volume fader on just one of the tracks to adjust that track: ALL the tracks are adjusted?! This seems counter intuitive and the only way I can get things to behave in the manner of just about every other DAW on the planet is to enable as many individual audio outputs in the VSTi as I need for separate tracks and control the track volumes (and pan) from there via the console view. There are postings on the Presonus forums questioning this issue but it seems that the software is actually designed to work this way. Despite this, I have enjoyed working with SI hugely and for me, despite some 'habit induced' niggles,  believe that most SONAR users would feel at home with this DAW

It seems that the common perception for S1 users is that you are supposed to modify the individual instrument levels in the VST itself. This never worked in Sonar because Sonar would override the levels unless you setup some automation. In S1, it does work. Volume is not automatically reset on stop and start of playback. Having said that, mapping individual outputs is probably the best way if you like to mix with the instruments rather than bounce to audio.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks for the feedback Dan and yes, it's just a very different way of working that I have become routinely inured to treating as if I had just entrusted my tropical fish collection to a seal. The resetting of volume on stop and start of playback in SONAR when arranging MIDI files is something I certainly won't miss....
2017/11/30 14:42:09
Wood67
doncolga
It's like everything is a 1-2 click operation.  It's taken me mixing about 30 songs before getting to what I felt was pretty good proficiency, and I still have much to learn.  But after that, Studio One is just working much better for me now.

Thanks for that post - very useful.  I have around 4 hours now in SOP.  I was really missing the ProChannel, and then discovered the chains setup in the console.  Other thing I used a lot in Sonar was my own plug in management.  With a lot of VST/VSTi plugs I need more than just view based on vendor, file, type.  Need to learn more about Transport controls though as these are quite different.

Someone mentioned console emulation options - haven't see those yet, are they plugs to insert over the channels?
2017/11/30 14:46:42
Sylvan
doncolga
Guys, good grief.  It's silly to bash Studio One (or any other DAW) if you've only spent a few hours, or a few days on it compared to years you've been on Sonar.

I don't think anyone here is "bashing" Studio One at all. I see a lot of SONAR users that are making a difficult transition to a new DAW. An unexpected transition that will eventually become necessary because of SONAR getting the plug pulled out. 

The concerns being raised are a part of that transition. These users don't want to bash the new DAW they are moving to. Rather, they are taking an inventory of the new workflow, the possible differences in sound, what they have lost in terms of features and old habits, and what they might possibly gain.

This is a process, an exodus perhaps. No bashing. Just passionate users wanting to continue in their craft without their trusted familiar tools, having to learn a new set of tools. Remember that for many this will be a painful process. Keep that in mind before throwing out a blanket judgement. Be tolerant and inclusive, isn't that what the current culture trend is?

This passion is an asset, not a bashing. Rather than stir up the negative frenzy thing, Studio One users would do well to be patient and understanding while gently pointing out the different work flow. Know that these very talented and creative SONAR users will bring a super creative energy and much positive influence to the Studio One platform. What is being misconstrued as bashing can be a great pool of ideas that could benefit the whole S1 community.

Peace...

2017/11/30 14:52:36
bitflipper
tenfoot
Thats incredible bitflipper. I have been running it for 4 days on a laptop also running a dmx controller, x32 control software, traktor dj, Sonar and an autoloader. It hasn't missed a beat. 

Equally amazing is that you have only had a dozen crashes in 14 years. I am guessing you skipped X1 and X2;)

Yes, I did skip X1, X2, X3 and the first year of SPlat. I ran the very stable 8.5 all that time, and when rolling updates commenced I rarely updated on day one. I have settled upon a set of stable third-party components from the likes of FabFilter for my bread 'n butter processors, and similarly don't update them immediately, either. My system has been pretty reliable over the years.

And yes, it's a natural reaction to blame the environment, on the seemingly logical presumption that if such crashes were commonplace then we'd have surely heard about them. This, sadly, is not the case - for any complex application. Such an admittedly comforting belief can only be sustained by a fundamental misunderstanding of what crashes are and why they occur.

When an application fails with a C0000005 error, it's a bug. It means the program attempted to write to an invalid memory location, and is almost always caused by a null pointer. Programmers are not supposed to allow that to happen, but it's very easy to overlook a possible null pointer scenario. In can be extremely difficult to duplicate a crash scenario (which is why crash dumps exist). So it's an entirely forgivable mistake, but still a bug. Not sunspots, not RFI, not humidity, not the brand of speakers or audio interface you use.

External components are also part of that environment. The C++ runtime library, the audio drivers, plugins, Windows support DLLS - they can all crash an application. However, the crash dump tells you which module raised the error, which is how I know that 13 of my 14 SONAR crashes were caused by plugins. My current dumps identify Studio One.exe as the module that raised the errors.

My test project is minimal: no audio, no effects, just 4 MIDI tracks driving a single instance of Omnisphere. My environment has not changed other than to install some other DAWs. Mixcraft, Reaper and Tracktion all run smoothly with no crashes. And of course, SONAR, which hasn't seen a crash in literally years.

Now, I want to emphasize that I have not written off Studio One as a result of these crashes. I quite like the MIDI implementation and overall ease-of-use. It's a well-designed product. All this experience does is call into question the idea that Studio One will necessarily assure greater stability.

2017/11/30 15:17:38
rwheeler
Jeff Evans
I highly recommend all the Groove 3 videos starting with version 1.5 even and going into 2 and then 3. There are Explained videos and Advanced videos for all versions. Stuff that is explained in V1.5 say does not get explained again. Only new stuff is added. ...

Really good advice Jeff. I had jumped in with the Groove3 videos for the most recent full version of Studio One "explained." Good content there, but following your advice to jump back to the earliest videos has been an excellent learning strategy for me. It really helps to get very clear on the basics and then build on that solid foundation. Belated thanks for your post.
2017/11/30 15:34:54
ØSkald
I finally found how to enable the 64bit engine in s1. I dont think this software is that intuitive at all. Maybe if your a ProTols user it is. But i dont find it intuitive and easy to learn. Like the icon for markers. It doesn't resemble a flag in my opinion. I think i have to work hard to really learn this software!
2017/11/30 15:44:05
Joe_A
Jarsve
I have one positive thing to say about Studio One that i have not been liking about Sonar. And that the pan. That you in S1 can type in you ban insted of the way in Sonar where you have to dial it in by the mouse. That is time consuming if you have 21 track of choir you want to pan in a specific way.

What S1 needs fast is groups in the faders, pans, mute, solo and so on. The way that is in sonar is priceless. I use them all the time. then you can make one automation for all the tracks in the group without having to make the automation for all the tracks.

*Just out of curious what are you tracking (miking) to get up to 21 choir tracks?

Tx!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account