• Software
  • Comparing Sonar with Studio One (p.14)
2017/12/01 08:32:54
cboshuizen
Sylvan
Please watch the tests and point out my mistakes. I want to be enlightened.

OK, maybe on thing that might, or might not, be a mistake, is that in Sonar you had dithering set to Pow-r 3, rather than the default triangular.  Differences are explained here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X2&language=3&help=Mixing.61.html

What informed your choice of dithering, and do you see differences if you change it?
2017/12/01 09:48:27
Zo
For those that are in a most advanced stage ..... i use ARC and sonarworks and instead of messing with mutiple sub buses ....i found that in the mix down window you can check a box to mix without the master FX ...if you want t also have this feature to update the songs via project view after a tweak in sng view , you have at least to a mixdonw in the song view for this option to be remebered;)
For gain and phase , use Mixtool and expand it in channels ..... 

thinking of doing a video for Sonar switcher to make em master the essentials ....
2017/12/01 10:46:12
cowboydan
If you go to youtube and look up Johnny Geib or go to www.johnnygeib.com You will find a lot of tutorials for Studio One 3. Hope this helps.
2017/12/01 13:01:12
patm300e
cowboydan
If you go to youtube and look up Johnny Geib or go to www.johnnygeib.com You will find a lot of tutorials for Studio One 3. Hope this helps.

Thanks Danny
2017/12/01 13:38:23
doncolga
Hey,

What's your screen capture software?

Thanks!

Donny
2017/12/01 13:40:47
doncolga
Sylvan
slyman
Sacalait
I haven't started a project (song) in Studio One yet.  I'm learning the shortcuts to the basics at the moment.  I'm confident it can get my job done.  I probably won't move full-time to it until a couple more months.  But I have made a decision that it will be my studio DAW in the next year.  So for now it's wrapping my head around how it does things that I'm SO used to in Sonar.  No complaints at the moment.

+1

As far as sound difference, projects I've transferred over to S1 sounds exactly the same.
Software only passes through audio from and to your converters, it does not modify the source file in any way unless you process it. 
It's like saying Windows Media Player and VLC sound different playing raw files. They don't. 

Is that so? Well, as promised, I have documented some tests. I did three tests. On test 2 I did get the results to null, the other two I could not. Also, there is a clear difference in sound which is demonstrated in the third test. 

In my best Morpheus voice (from the Matrix,) "All I can offer you is the truth."

I was surprised by test #2. The other two tests were as I expected.

Here is the truth...
Test 1
Test 2
Test 3

Now that we know the summing is different, lets move onward and forward. I would love to hear from Studio One developers about why this difference exists. Maybe they did it on purpose. I have an open mind about it. But all the rhetoric about the mix engines being identical can be laid to rest.

I heard a difference on test 3, but Sonar sounded a little darker to me.
2017/12/01 13:57:13
Sylvan
I will check into that. Do you know what dithering Studio One is using? If I know that, I will make them the same and see what that does.

But if that was the case, why did test 2 null? The makes me think that the dithering is not at fault. Also, I kept everything at 24/48, so even though Pw-r-3 was selected, I don't think any dithering actually took place.
2017/12/01 13:59:44
Sylvan
doncolga
Sylvan
slyman
Sacalait
I haven't started a project (song) in Studio One yet.  I'm learning the shortcuts to the basics at the moment.  I'm confident it can get my job done.  I probably won't move full-time to it until a couple more months.  But I have made a decision that it will be my studio DAW in the next year.  So for now it's wrapping my head around how it does things that I'm SO used to in Sonar.  No complaints at the moment.

+1

As far as sound difference, projects I've transferred over to S1 sounds exactly the same.
Software only passes through audio from and to your converters, it does not modify the source file in any way unless you process it. 
It's like saying Windows Media Player and VLC sound different playing raw files. They don't. 

Is that so? Well, as promised, I have documented some tests. I did three tests. On test 2 I did get the results to null, the other two I could not. Also, there is a clear difference in sound which is demonstrated in the third test. 

In my best Morpheus voice (from the Matrix,) "All I can offer you is the truth."

I was surprised by test #2. The other two tests were as I expected.

Here is the truth...
Test 1
Test 2
Test 3

Now that we know the summing is different, lets move onward and forward. I would love to hear from Studio One developers about why this difference exists. Maybe they did it on purpose. I have an open mind about it. But all the rhetoric about the mix engines being identical can be laid to rest.

I heard a difference on test 3, but Sonar sounded a little darker to me.

Fair enough. I know different people will have different opinions on what is better. I only set out to show that there is indeed a difference. Thank you for accepting that truth. That is all I am saying.
2017/12/01 14:08:05
Sylvan
Jeff Evans
The null sounds like there is no high end. Are you sure you have not got any MixFx engaged in studio One.  Easy to do and not obvious either. Are you sure you are not applying some processing somewhere.  Is the Sonar pan law set to -3db centre as well.  I don't think it is standard in Sonar not sure.

This is not what I hear at all.  And also in my test there are 32 tracks present as well. So way more complex musically than in this test and yet I still get a null. 

That null is like way obvious. In my case even there were artifacts present in the null they were like 60 db down in level so therefore not audible.

You are doing something wrong and eventually you will find it and agree. Have you created the same  type of tracks in Studio One. e.g. if the track is mono create mono track and the same for stereo. Studio One does some level changes when you playback audio files on the incorrect types of tracks.

I even tested Mixbus against Studio One and got a perfect null. And Mixbus is supposed to adding some special analog console sauce and yet I could even get those two to null.

I didn't say it would be easy, only that it would be the truth.

I did not engage Mix FX. I did not use any plugins or panning. That is why I did not edit out the exports. You can see everything I did. There is absolutely no trickery going on. I even made all the files available for download so anyone can see for themselves.

I have done what I set out to do. I rest my case.

Maybe there is an explanation that Studio One developers could give. I would ask the same from SONAR developers but they are gone unfortunately.
2017/12/01 14:11:22
doncolga
Sylvan
Jeff Evans
The null sounds like there is no high end. Are you sure you have not got any MixFx engaged in studio One.  Easy to do and not obvious either. Are you sure you are not applying some processing somewhere.  Is the Sonar pan law set to -3db centre as well.  I don't think it is standard in Sonar not sure.

This is not what I hear at all.  And also in my test there are 32 tracks present as well. So way more complex musically than in this test and yet I still get a null. 

That null is like way obvious. In my case even there were artifacts present in the null they were like 60 db down in level so therefore not audible.

You are doing something wrong and eventually you will find it and agree. Have you created the same  type of tracks in Studio One. e.g. if the track is mono create mono track and the same for stereo. Studio One does some level changes when you playback audio files on the incorrect types of tracks.

I even tested Mixbus against Studio One and got a perfect null. And Mixbus is supposed to adding some special analog console sauce and yet I could even get those two to null.

I didn't say it would be easy, only that it would be the truth.

I did not engage Mix FX. I did not use any plugins or panning. That is why I did not edit out the exports. You can see everything I did. There is absolutely no trickery going on. I even made all the files available for download so anyone can see for themselves.

I have done what I set out to do. I rest my case.

Maybe there is an explanation that Studio One developers could give. I would ask the same from SONAR developers but they are gone unfortunately.

Dither is on by default on Studio One.  Not sure what variety.

http://www.studio-one.expert/studio-one-blog//does-studio-one-3-sound-better-than-studio-one-2

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account