• Software
  • Comparing Sonar with Studio One (p.18)
2017/12/01 21:09:02
Sylvan
sonarman1
Wow! I was just about to post that setting up dual pan plugin in S1 masterbus is indeed doing nothing. (May be I am not not doing it properly?). But seriously how else to do it?

Great job Sylvan now its obvious there was a solid reason behind why many including me was wondering about the difference in sound.
It seems with sonars default pan law 0db constant your mono track is gonna sound +3db if panned to center. 
So thats why you felt your low end was better in Sonar coz your kick was in mono and +3db in level in comparison to S1 with -3db pan law.
http://forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts/list/0/37072.page this post is useful in understanding pan law.

Yeah, I couldn't get the Dual Pan plugin to do anything either. That is why I removed it, went into SONAR and changed the Pan Law there to match the setting of Studio One. 

If you or anyone else can figure out how to make Dual Pan plugin work in Studio One to change the Pan Law, please share it with us. I want to test that setting going in reverse.
2017/12/01 21:19:45
Jeff Evans
I have just set up an experiment using a tone generator, followed by Dual Pan and then a VU meter such as the Klanghelm VUMT meter.

I have indeed tried all the settings and they all work and respond.  It is not so much what the levels are in the centre and extremes (they do also vary too) but how it changes as you move either of those pan controls in Dual Pan and observe what happens on the VU meter.  The various settings produce different results as you sweep the individual pan controls over their range.

Take a dual pan setting like one control fully anti clockwise and the other in the centre position.  Observe the position of the needles in both VU meters.  Select all the settings in the Dual Pan low settings menu and see for each one a different result in the VU meters.  They all work.  I think subtle is the name of the game when you are actually panning in a mix situation though.  And in the end we still use our ears to set a pan position and level, so matter what the pan law you have chosen at the time you will make those adjustments to satisfy your ear.  With any pan law setting that end result is going to be consistent. 
2017/12/01 23:02:30
dcmg
Good work to everyone involved here...very enlightening thread!

2017/12/01 23:20:48
CW3948368110
Just to clarify my post #157:
The Dual Pan plugin is about panning the signal, it is not supposed to do anything if you don´t move the knobs. The panning law setting is for that plugin ONLY.
2017/12/02 00:36:05
ØSkald
Anyone know a way of opening omf files in S1?
2017/12/02 00:57:11
Sylvan
CW3948368110
Just to clarify my post #157:
The Dual Pan plugin is about panning the signal, it is not supposed to do anything if you don´t move the knobs. The panning law setting is for that plugin ONLY.

I see. Is there a way to change the default pan law overall in Studio One? Or is the -3dB just hard-wired in?
2017/12/02 01:02:28
doncolga
Sylvan
doncolga
So I just completed a null test comparing Sonar and Studio One.

Original tracks from VST's in Sonar with no processing at all in either DAW.  Exported with no dithering in either Sonar or Studio One and I'm getting complete nulls from individual tracks and from the combined final mix.  I agree dithering needs to be off on both.

That was a very cool process to see.

That would be another twist in all this, if Studio One can null with SONAR using VST's (I assume you mean VSTi's) but not with audio.

Can you show your test and show that they are nulling?

I didn't change any panning laws on either DAW with my test.
2017/12/02 07:04:41
sonarman1

I didn't change any panning laws on either DAW with my test.

I guess you never did any panning and recorded everything in stereo. So the pan law wont have any effect. Hence you got complete nulls. Sylvan had two tracks in mono and the two daws had different pan laws so he didnt get nulls 
2017/12/02 10:02:23
CW3948368110
SylvanI see. Is there a way to change the default pan law overall in Studio One? Or is the -3dB just hard-wired in?
It seems the -3dB is hard-wired, but I´m not 100% sure - I purchased S1 just yesterday.
Anyway it doesn´t matter because you always mix the way you want with new songs in S1 - and you automatically compensate whatever the pan law is without thinking about it. You can also fix minor difference with old songs imported to S1 with M/S eq.

2017/12/02 17:06:51
dubdisciple
This ended up being a very informative thread
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account