• Software
  • Comparing Sonar with Studio One (p.2)
2017/11/28 19:09:34
Jeff Evans
Summing engine sounds great.. Their stock plugins are great.  Once you get to know them they easily slip into your go to choices when mixing.  Back that up with a good selection of well chosen third party plugins and you are in a very strong position.  Panning sounds nice in Studio One.  As soon as you move it, the image seems to appear quickly. 

You cannot have a DAW that has no bottom end!  It is a ludicrous statement.  In my setup Studio One simply faithfully reproduces in playback exactly what I am sending it.  I work with many synths too as well as kick drums and bass guitars etc.. I would notice pretty quick if the low end of the system was wrong.  They sound so fat and floor shaking in real life when I play them through the synth mixer and I am monitoring it directly.  On playback Studio One sounds exactly the same here for me anyway.  

The built in console emulation is very good and if you grab the Mix engine plugin add on such as the CTC-1 console emulator you get a choice of 3 amazing sounding consoles. The approach they have taken with console emulation is very good and it can sound great.  They have modelled basically the Neve and SSL sound and given you a custom option which is more like a very transparent mastering type console. The crosstalk options are also excellent.  Mixer and tape machine crosstalk can be dialled in.  It all helps to glue a mix real nice. 
2017/11/28 19:09:56
synkrotron
Interesting.

I am going to try a simple test.

Create a new and very simple project in SONAR. Probably a drum track with some keys. I'll keep it all "in the box," using MIDI and VSTi. I will use some simple reverb and delay.

I will then export the MIDI.

Next I will start a new "song" in Studio One and insert the same VST and use all the same presets, no tweaking. I will use the MIDI export from SONAR just to save some time.

I will then export the audio from each DAW and see what comes out...
2017/11/28 19:20:10
Jeff Evans
I think with the migration thing it is better to leave all projects done in a previous DAW stay there. Yeah some stuff like midi and audio can be imported but you would really need to remix a project completely.  Presonus even advise it is better to start projects in the latest version of Studio One which happens to be 3.5.2 as of now.  There can even be issues importing a Studio One project as well from a previous version into the later version.  e.g. a project done on say 2.6.5 and being imported into 3.5.2  It is better to start all now projects inside the latest version.  And remain there.

If you are importing stuff from another DAW just ensure you render tracks out that might have very specific processing on. 

Any other DAW will seem a little foreign and at sea initially, but once you have been on it for a year or so and you become a quick power user then you won't look back.   Your previous DAW will even seem clunky compared to where you are up to speed with the latest one.

I am also in contact with Logic on the Mac too and I have found it a breeze going from Studio One to Logic.  They are more alike in many ways.  Logic is magnificent really.  They have seriously perfected that DAW on the Mac.  Studio One works real nice on the Mac too.  I have got on both platforms.  Transferring data from one to the other is also a breeze.  Sessions all open up either. 
2017/11/28 19:22:59
synkrotron
Hi Jeff, it has just been updated to 3.5.3

cheers

andy
2017/11/28 19:48:10
MagicMike
Sylvan
Jarsve
I have tried to open the same project in Studio One and I have to say that the sound of Studio One Sucks compared to Sonar. I mean. It sounds like it doesn't have any depth. And things sounds nasal and harsh. There is 2 different plugins from the original project that i couldn't use in S1. Breverb and REmatrix Solo. I have almost the same reverbs in REmatrix insted. That should not be that big of a deal right? It just sound like there is no dynamic. Sonar has so much more depth in the sound.

Any other found this?

I know exactly what you mean. I suspected I heard something different with Studio One so I started investigating. I ran some tests and came to the conclusion that SONAR sounds more open, deep, and clear. On my first test I can show exactly what I did and the results that prove there is a difference. I will run a stripped down more simple test soon to delve deeper on the subject.

But there is most definitely something to this.

Check the "Pan Law" setting.  I think Sonar defaults to 0db.

I've just been learning about this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-JRWZo6V0
2017/11/28 20:02:07
sharke
Aside from DAW's whose whole point is to add a particular sound to a mix (i.e. Mixbus), nobody has ever been able to demonstrate conclusively that one DAW sounds different to another. All we ever have is subjective opinions (and we all know how unreliable they can be when it comes to judging two pieces of audio) and people claiming to have done tests and that they'll post the results "in due course" (but they never do). 

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if there was anything to this whole "DAW x sounds better than DAW y" thing then the DAW manufacturers would be shouting it from the rooftops. Cakewalk would have boasted that Sonar sounds more open than Studio One, and you'd have DAWs proclaiming that they have a better soundstage than other DAWs etc. But since none of that is true and you'll never see anyone demonstrate it with verifiable data, this entire marketing angle is never explored. The most you'll ever hear them say is to make vague claims like "crisp 64-bit audio engine" which don't really establish anything other than to confirm that there is nothing wrong with the audio engine. And I think that's the best a DAW can claim about its audio output - we don't do anything bad to it. If they were processing the audio any better than other DAWs then we'd never hear the end of it.
2017/11/28 20:06:43
chuckebaby
Its funny, there shouldn't be much of a difference but yet similar to the old consoles, DAW's seem to have their own nuances.
2017/11/28 20:44:05
Serious_Noize!
Jarsve
I have tried to open the same project in Studio One and I have to say that the sound of Studio One Sucks compared to Sonar. I mean. It sounds like it doesn't have any depth. And things sounds nasal and harsh. There is 2 different plugins from the original project that i couldn't use in S1. Breverb and REmatrix Solo. I have almost the same reverbs in REmatrix insted. That should not be that big of a deal right? It just sound like there is no dynamic. Sonar has so much more depth in the sound.

Any other found this?

While I plan on using Sonar and not changing, I have tried the Reaper daw and it is pretty good, if you need a new daw that's the route I would go. I am sticking with Sonar though, for me it is the best and best sounding.

But, much like you and your comparison between Sonar & Studio One, I did a comparison of my own between Sonar and Reaper and there was no comparison in quality, it was very noticeable that Sonar sound way better than Reaper by comparison with the same project .wav files imported. Some things Sonar does like clarity and other things just shine compared to Reaper "IN MY OPINION". I'm sure someone will chime in and say the opposite, but that's okay, to each their own, that is just my opinion. Sonar is the best. 

Happy Holidays!
2017/11/28 21:15:13
Jeff Evans
Yes just had an update 3.5.3.  All seems good to me.  That is another thing too about Studio One.  We are getting updates regularly and many of them feature lots of fixes and new features and improvements.  Don't forget too that a major update e.g. to V4 next even paid at $99 will be a major step.  Many of the things that Sonar users miss will eventually end up in there.  In a slightly different form and often more elegantly and simpler to use.  They have not stopped adding in new features.  It is one of the most exciting programs to be involved with right now.
2017/11/28 21:27:36
ØSkald
Jeff Evans
Summing engine sounds great.. Their stock plugins are great.  Once you get to know them they easily slip into your go to choices when mixing.  Back that up with a good selection of well chosen third party plugins and you are in a very strong position.  Panning sounds nice in Studio One.  As soon as you move it, the image seems to appear quickly. 

You cannot have a DAW that has no bottom end!  It is a ludicrous statement.  In my setup Studio One simply faithfully reproduces in playback exactly what I am sending it.  I work with many synths too as well as kick drums and bass guitars etc.. I would notice pretty quick if the low end of the system was wrong.  They sound so fat and floor shaking in real life when I play them through the synth mixer and I am monitoring it directly.  On playback Studio One sounds exactly the same here for me anyway.  

The built in console emulation is very good and if you grab the Mix engine plugin add on such as the CTC-1 console emulator you get a choice of 3 amazing sounding consoles. The approach they have taken with console emulation is very good and it can sound great.  They have modelled basically the Neve and SSL sound and given you a custom option which is more like a very transparent mastering type console. The crosstalk options are also excellent.  Mixer and tape machine crosstalk can be dialled in.  It all helps to glue a mix real nice. 

It is not the base bottom end I talk about, but the dynamic bottom. it seems like it has cleaned much of warmth and ambience that makes the sound great. It sounds Sterile and not musical in my ears. Like it is hard to make the sound because of the lack of depth. You only hear the peak sound. Not what’s underneath.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account