• Software
  • Comparing Sonar with Studio One (p.4)
2017/11/29 01:38:33
jbow
Here is a side by side with Reaper and Mixbus32c, recorded in S1, I believe, then just the stems used in each. To my ears there is a noticeable difference. Second link is to the results vid. Some language maybe NSFW, IDK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDVSaoZhwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfTXxIXL6s

So maybe there is a difference between the sound of Mixbus and other DAWs. Sounds like there is. I don't think this guy is trying to fool anyone by doing it differently in one or the other.
J
2017/11/29 01:42:10
From what I understand there is, but it is only when you bring Mixbus's FX, EQ,Comp,Saturation into play.
Search down in the Software sub forum, Bapu done a test, you can read the results of that test there, which from memory was no, there is no difference all things being equal. I have Mixbus 3 and 4, but on't really like it, and it's way to frustrating to try and use as a fully fledged DAW.
2017/11/29 01:44:35
doncolga
jbow
Here is a side by side with Reaper and Mixbus32c, recorded in S1, I believe, then just the stems used in each. To my ears there is a noticeable difference. Second link is to the results vid. Some language maybe NSFW, IDK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDVSaoZhwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfTXxIXL6s

So maybe there is a difference between the sound of Mixbus and other DAWs. Sounds like there is. I don't think this guy is trying to fool anyone by doing it differently in one or the other.
J

This guy is awesome and totally legit.  Harrison is designed to sound different, and it's bad ass.  I love to work with it...I go back and forth between it and Studio One.  I use all the controls built in on the board, and it's an absolute joy to mix on it.

I picked mix A for Mixbus within seconds and that was correct.  I do like that one better.  The low end is definitely punchier, deeper and warmer.  In the back of my mind this really bugs me as I, and many others, think Mixbus sounds better than other DAWS, but I really like the functionality of Studio One.

As some do, I've not yet tried to mix in Studio One then export it out to MixBus.

Donny
2017/11/29 01:49:24
losguy
+1 on MagicMike's suggestion about Pan Laws. It's a simple but subtly pervasive thing.

Some of you old timers around here may remember that time, back before SONAR had Pan Laws, when someone claimed that Nuendo was clearer and punchier than SONAR. The back-and-forths were similar, and went on for like 28 pages. At one point the poster even claimed that Nuendo was 20-40% better.  Anyone remember that?

Anyway, some key Bakers were listening in on the conversation, and after obtaining some files from the poster for A/B comparisons, concluded that Pan Laws were at play. The new SONAR Pan Law feature was the result.
2017/11/29 02:04:54
mmarton
Mixbus is awesome, I was just getting into using it with Sonar but since I'm now just getting into S1 I'm pretty stoked about the combo.  
2017/11/29 02:36:54
Rimshot
Zo
If somebody know how the equivalent of freeze a synth from a synth rack ...would be exellnt ...i know the command to offline a track witch commit the ausio and bypass fx that you can roll back ( i hate the implemntation since when you commit the fx dissapear , great to share projects but to know what was on the track you have to make it rea ime again ...

Another question is when you modify a track in songs view and it can be upadtesd in projects view by bouncing it again ´ is there a way to control that process like choosing the bus to use for bounce (to skip Arc in my case and bounce a specific bus ?

Guyz be sure to play with macros ...it s making it super efficient ....

In S1, you "Transform to Audio Track" (right-click on the track to select). You then have options to include or exclude EFX, etc. You can always then reverse it with "Transform to Instrument Track".

For Projects, you bring in the song which is then linked to the song in S1. Then, from the Project page, you can click on the link and open the song and edit as usual. Then when you save the song, it will update in Project!

2017/11/29 02:52:37
gprokap
Can't say anything about the sound, but I'm not digging the interface at all.  SONAR is just so much better.
2017/11/29 09:08:00
sonarman1
I think OP should change the name of this post as "Comparing  the audio quality of Sonar with Studio One" Other comparisons can be done in other threads.  I for sure experience a different sound in S1 compared to Sonar. Its even more prominent while using VSTi. Its funny that some people disagree that two daws can sound different yet here we also see some folks telling My project sounds better in S1. To me I can hear the difference. I wont say the sound of S1 is bad. I don't like it though, sounds way inferior to the sound of Sonar. You may Like it. I'm also running my tests. Will post them here what ever may be the results. Few Years back I suspected my drum samples sound different in Battery nd Geist. I did a few tests to find out it was indeed real coz both were using different algorithms to convert sample rates which caused some difference in sound when samples of different sample rates were imported. I also found that different daws use different algorithms for sample rate conversion. Not sure if this is causing something in this comparison too. If you are running a test do remember to keep all audio settings same between both the daws and record or import audio of the same sample rate and bit depth. Then later you can also try to find the difference by importing audio of different sample rate(Which may cause a difference then).
2017/11/29 10:57:21
armodeus
I also made a test exporting a midi-only song to S1, VSTis only, and S1 sounds hifi but sterile to me, it lacks the warmth and quality that sonar has.
I really tried to like s1 but failed, I feel underwhelmed and uninspired by it, feels n looks like a sonar/cubase light edition to me.
Just for a start it has no Dim Solo, seriously? I can't live without dim solo.
Where is my Shift+f, shift+d? W? R? nah! The navigation sucks, can't even select the time clicking on a track.
Besides the clips look like crap and make me feel that my music is crap too.
Just looking at those clips depresses me and any inspiration I had vanishes.
And nothing like pro channel? even cubase has some sort of prochannel... drum replacer? and so on... etc etc.
Perhaps many people like s1 because it's simpler and easier to handle, that's what the new generations like, right? My drummer uses cubase because sonar looks too dificult for him.
But sonar IMO is more advanced and it may look overcomplicated for some people.
I guess sonar is not for everybody.

I seriously regret buying Studio one (even cheap and on sale), waste of money, big mistake, now it is collecting dust on the shelve next to cubase!
2017/11/29 12:03:44
GIM Productions
Maybe the underestimated direction is Reaper?
Videos page is impressive,automation and time stretching especially
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account