• Software
  • Comparing Sonar with Studio One (p.8)
2017/11/30 02:12:28
Jeff Evans
I highly recommend all the Groove 3 videos starting with version 1.5 even and going into 2 and then 3. There are Explained videos and Advanced videos for all versions. Stuff that is explained in V1.5 say does not get explained again. Only new stuff is added.

One good option is to get one of those passes say for a month or two and do some intense learning. They are all beautifully explained. Good idea also is to run the video on a separate machine (with audio mixed in with your normal DAW audio) and have Studio One running in front of you on your main machine.

There are also tons of free Presonus videos too.  The Groove 3 stuff is logically explained in a great learning order though. Then you get cracking doing projects and use the information you have learned.
2017/11/30 02:32:36
denverdrummer
Studio One can do a lot of thing that Sonar can do, but it's often more work in S1 than Sonar.  Quick grouping is one example.  You just click drag in Sonar.  I don't know of any other DAW that does it as easy.

There are many other things that Sonar does better that S1 simply cannot do.  Like Track Templates (no song templates aren't track templates), Dim Solo as mentioned, right clicking on the record icon on the transport to change record modes, screen sets, I could go on all day.

The appeal of Studio One is it's simple design.  I get the appeal of it, because if you've worked with any other DAW, you just sort of pick it up intuitively.

My biggest complaint of Studio One is the fact that it friggin drops out on me all the time when tracking.  I don't have this problem in Sonar, I don't have this problem in Cubase.  Not saying this is everyone's experience, but this has been mine.
2017/11/30 02:41:25
timidi
Jarsve
I really dont care about CPU use and RAM use. I have a Core i 7 with 6 cores and 12 threads and 32 GB of RAM. I rather want a DAW that uses all of that to sound great than less and inaccurate/noiseless/less musical sound.

For what I want real fast in S1
1. Regions as it is in Sonar. have them on the bar for all to see.
2. Keyboard shortcuts to jump back and forth to regions.
3. Keyboard shortcuts to Jump to next/later bar.
4. Keyboard shortcuts to jump to beginning and the end of the projects.
5. Busses in its own place so that they can always be shown.
6. Automated faders on Busses
7. ProChannel, with always available EG, Compressor and so on. Why do we have to look up this tools.
8. Picture Icons on the tracks.
9. Improve the automation of faders so that you, not only can type in level, but also the time code. And that it works more smother. Now it sound like an on of switch.

More to come.

For #5, I believe you can setup shortcuts to do that. Via the little track selector thingy on the left. And, then you can scroll thru say, tracks 1-9, just busses, all tracks etc.
2017/11/30 02:49:03
sharke
Again, for those claiming that one DAW has a superior basic sound than another, answer me this. Why have DAW manufacturers (apart from Harrison) never, ever approached their marketing efforts from that angle? Can you think of one single DAW manufacturer (apart from Harrison) which has boasted about such things as "warmth," or "superior stereo imaging" from their sound? I can't. In fact if anything, the only thing you can imagine them boasting about is how transparent their sound is, and you don't even hear them say that. 
2017/11/30 02:56:29
telecharge
I've posted this before, but here it is again: Audio Myths & DAW Wars

Although I likely won't be upgrading to Studio One Pro myself, I would encourage anyone interested in Studio One to pay attention to Jeff Evans. He's one of the most knowledgeable users on this forum, and a nice guy, too.

Thanks for all your great posts, Jeff!
2017/11/30 03:06:20
bitflipper
OK, here's a comparison for you:

I've had perhaps a dozen crashes with SONAR in 14 years. All but one one of them was caused by a plugin, not SONAR.

I've had 8 crashes with Studio One in 4 days. Mostly access violations, all raised in Studio One.exe.

This does not inspire confidence.

The good news is that Studio One does generate minidumps by default.
2017/11/30 03:14:34
Jeff Evans
I have had about 3 crashes with Studio One in 6 or 7 years so that to me inspires plenty of confidence. Sounds like it might be something else causing the issues if you are having S1 crash. It is not prone to crashing at all.
2017/11/30 03:50:20
mikedocy
bitflipper
I've had perhaps a dozen crashes with SONAR in 14 years. All but one one of them was caused by a plugin, not SONAR.
I've had 8 crashes with Studio One in 4 days. Mostly access violations, all raised in Studio One.exe.

Bit, There has to be something strange happening with your system.
If this was a widespread issue it would be all over the forums.
I have been running SOP for a little over a year and I find that it is more stable than Sonar.
It seems very rock solid. I can do "stupid" things like go internet browsing while SOP is running in the background
with no problem whatsoever.

2017/11/30 04:29:00
doncolga
Guys, good grief.  It's silly to bash Studio One (or any other DAW) if you've only spent a few hours, or a few days on it compared to years you've been on Sonar.  Some of the things I'm seeing people get stuck on are really basic, but you do need to learn how the other DAW does it; it's not going to be just like Sonar, and you shouldn't expect it to be.

Six months ago I thought Sonar was the only game in town.  Then, some Studio One users explained some of their workflow.  It really opened my eyes and got me investigating more.  I can tell you that after about six months Studio One, and mixing probably about 50 songs on it, my current workflow mops the floor with my Sonar workflow, for production and mixing, and that's after being with Sonar for a really long time.  Do what feels right, of course, but give it some time, you may very likely like it better after you see how things work.

A few bread and butter items:

I don't need a gain knob.  The easiest way to adjust the gain of an audio track is to click the track event and drag up the blue handle in the middle; as a bonus, the waveform changes accordingly...I may be wrong but never noticed that in Sonar.  You can toss in the Mix Tool plugin on all tracks at one if you like, and there you'll get polarity, gain knob, other good stuff.  I'll admit, they should put a polarity switch right on the strip.

Select multiple tracks:  CTRL+ click the ones you want, then set faders as a group.

Select all tracks:  Click the first, Shift, click the last.  (agreed, CTRL+A is better) 

Once you select the tracks, drag in any plugins you like, very easy and all at once.

Function Keys:  just try them out and toggle them...very cool.

To add a VI:  click and drag it to a track

Multiple outputs on VI's.  On the console, click the arrow by the VI, click expand and check the outputs you want.  Set outputs accordingly on the VI.  Eezy peezy.

Freeze a VI:  right click and "transform to audio"

Manual plugin scan:  open the browser on the right, click the home button, click "update plugins".

File management?  Songs and project file management is super tidy in Studio One.  Very easy to find anything.  It handles much of this for you in a great, logical way.

Track management?  That was a nightmare for me in Sonar.  Click, scroll, click, scroll.  On Studio One I can organize tracks for a big 70-80 plus track project in like 3 minutes on Studio One, then focus really easily on the groups I need when it's time to start mixing.  I'm lighting fast on Studio One...I'm not bragging, that's just a fact.

It has a proper track list, and when you click on a track on the tracklist, you land on that mixer strip.  Sonar did not do this and this was a complete PITA.  The tracklist also shows you at a glance what's playing.

Export:  Set begin and end markers, CRTL+E, pick your format, done.

Plugin chain windows:  you can get to all the plugins on one window.  I didn't notice this in Sonar, and it's insanely convenient.

Float the mixer to another monitor?  Of course.  But I don't need to.  F3 to show the mixer, drag it all the way up for a huge, gorgeous console with the longest faders, then F3 to toggle between the editor and mixer.  My eyes are not working so hard by constantly going back and forth between two monitors.  It's one less monitor to buy.  But yes, it will do that.

Sidechaining:  add a send, click side chain, pick the destination.

Tempo change:  show the Tempo Track. set the resolution (probably already done), alt+click and drag to draw your tempo changes in.  Or, + on the tempo track to add a new tempo.

Time signature change:  right click on the top timeline to insert a new time signature.

It's like everything is a 1-2 click operation.  It's taken me mixing about 30 songs before getting to what I felt was pretty good proficiency, and I still have much to learn.  But after that, Studio One is just working much better for me now.
2017/11/30 05:07:16
CTStump
bitflipper

I had this problem in version 2 when I locked my sample buffers on my Emu 1616 pci. I know it may not help being as it's version 3 but might be a hardware conflict. I sure if you post your dump file to the forum you may get some help.

That's the only thing that crashed me but version 3 runs okay here as fas I can tell and still using the Emu on windows 7.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account