• Software
  • Comparing Sonar with Studio One (p.9)
2017/11/30 06:47:59
mettelus
Perhaps a dozen crashes with SONAR in 14 years is a very hard pill to swallow. I had more auto fault reports in a couple weeks (was on earlier X3 versions).

If one knows the landmines and has a static workflow, it is possible, but most users aren't that lucky.
2017/11/30 07:51:03
sonarman1
double post *deleted*
2017/11/30 08:43:22
sonarman1
sharke
Again, for those claiming that one DAW has a superior basic sound than another, answer me this. Why have DAW manufacturers (apart from Harrison) never, ever approached their marketing efforts from that angle? Can you think of one single DAW manufacturer (apart from Harrison) which has boasted about such things as "warmth," or "superior stereo imaging" from their sound? I can't. In fact if anything, the only thing you can imagine them boasting about is how transparent their sound is, and you don't even hear them say that. 

Not true. I have seen Daws marketed as Enhanced audio engine, Superior sound, etc. I have watched a few S1 videos where its marketed as sounding superior. Not sure if its a official video. However the validity of such marketing is questionable.

And dont forget that protools was marketed for a while stating as sounding best. I couldnt find those old promos now. This is one of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPjpjZGtns
There is another video its all about protools sounding better.  
2017/11/30 09:06:23
sonarman1
doncolga

Multiple outputs on VI's.  On the console, click the arrow by the VI, click expand and check the outputs you want.  Set outputs accordingly on the VI.  Eezy peezy.

Plugin chain windows:  you can get to all the plugins on one window.  I didn't notice this in Sonar, and it's insanely convenient.

These two are killer features in S1. All the others you have stated are available in Sonar, some with little more clicks and some even more easier. Sonar does have clip gain, but gain knob is more convenient in many situations. 
We gotta deal with it. Any daw will miss many features and as sonar is in dead end we gotta deal with these few workarounds for a while I guess. 

Yet its hard to deal with the absence of track templates and Numeric meters in channel strips. Numeric peak meters are very useful in balancing the level of before fx and after fx signals while processing. I need it almost always and the workaround to use a separate plugin for that is a lot to do. 
2017/11/30 11:09:59
ØSkald
 How can I reach other than the few first markers in the song with the qwerty keyboard? I often have up to 40 markers in the songs. and they shows in the time bar.

2017/11/30 11:43:14
GIM Productions
Jarsve
 How can I reach other than the few first markers in the song with the qwerty keyboard? I often have up to 40 markers in the songs. and they shows in the time bar.

Ok it's off topic....but Sonar gui is awesome!
2017/11/30 12:00:40
tenfoot
bitflipper
OK, here's a comparison for you:

I've had perhaps a dozen crashes with SONAR in 14 years. All but one one of them was caused by a plugin, not SONAR.

I've had 8 crashes with Studio One in 4 days. Mostly access violations, all raised in Studio One.exe.

This does not inspire confidence.

The good news is that Studio One does generate minidumps by default.

Thats incredible bitflipper. I have been running it for 4 days on a laptop also running a dmx controller, x32 control software, traktor dj, Sonar and an autoloader. It hasn't missed a beat. 

Equally amazing is that you have only had a dozen crashes in 14 years. I am guessing you skipped X1 and X2;)

2017/11/30 12:22:06
sonarman1
Did a few basic null tests and so far everything nulled perfectly. I didn't even use any change in fader or pan so its a very basic null test. But it nulled.

While nulling few  vsti riffs however there was difference but thats coz synths dont output 100% same audio everytime??(correct me if I am wrong.) So I guess these synth tracks not nulling is not a Sonar or S1 problem. When I bounced the same instrument track twice in Sonar itself and try to null both they don't null. 

Other than that I guess there is no difference in audio engine of both. I haven't run any extensive tests so too early to conclude. However I am pretty sure the GUI alters our auditory perception a lot. Seems thats how the brain works. Sonar's GUI is very inspiring specially while mixing. 

Jarsve
The faders are different. And I dont have Breverb, REmatrix Solo and BT Compressor CP2S-3. For the Bass with the BT Compressor, I imported the freezed track.

So you haven't finished your mix yet? The Sonar mix is very good so probably you can try the same fader and pan levels. For reverb try to use some other plugin with almost the same settings.  I guess it will turn out fine.
2017/11/30 14:02:05
exitthelemming
One aspect of Studio One that might take SONAR users a while to get used to is how multitimbral vst instruments are handled e.g. Sampletank, Kontakt, UVI Falcon etc. It took me a few days to get my head around this but when you have several MIDI tracks routed to individual MIDI channels on the same VSTi and use a MIDI volume fader on just one of the tracks to adjust that track: ALL the tracks are adjusted?! This seems counter intuitive and the only way I can get things to behave in the manner of just about every other DAW on the planet is to enable as many individual audio outputs in the VSTi as I need for separate tracks and control the track volumes (and pan) from there via the console view. There are postings on the Presonus forums questioning this issue but it seems that the software is actually designed to work this way. Despite this, I have enjoyed working with SI hugely and for me, despite some 'habit induced' niggles,  believe that most SONAR users would feel at home with this DAW
2017/11/30 14:06:44
doncolga
Jarsve

Shift + B and Shift + Y
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account