2015/07/04 05:10:46
mudgel
Spencer
old thread, but still- Battery 3 is so good, even NI themselves were not able to compete against it and Battery 4 was pathetic in comparison, so really I don't see how cakewalk, who don't exactly have a nice track record in regards to instruments (apparently envelope retriggers are complicated), would stand a chance. I've said it over and over, but the dead last thing cakewalk needs to make is, actually, anything at all that ends with .vst.

Cakewalk actually have a completely different (to Sonar's) development team working on cross platform (Win/OS X) plugins, synths & fx.

You've been a member here for ages but I've recently started noticing you posting again but it all seems really negative stuff. Why don't you get your gripe out and start contributing positively.
2015/07/04 07:46:25
hanstheman
I like your thread. I think when one has invested years and money in a piece of software and the software is just missing a few essentials it makes sense to get in contact with the developers.
What I think is sad is that it all just seems so disorganized. I mean if you find a bug and you write on the forum there is no proper feedback as to whether or not this bug will ever be fixed - or is even considered a bug. Are we supposed to write directly to tech hotline with simple feature requests/ bug fixing suggestions? 
Who are responsible for viewing forum threads and organizing feature request? And where are they listed so that consumers have a proper change of knowing in what direction the development is aimed? 
I wrote many months ago about the issue with high resolution screens and turning knobs without anybody in the forums knowing anything about it (besides some having the same problem) - only to find out that this was already a "known issue" listed somewhere on the huge cakewalk site. I mean isn't there a knowledgeable forum moderator to go through forum posts and answer simple questions? 
Considering simple feature requests, if in two years time Sonar still doesn't allow me to move more than one track at a time - and that the whole track moving feedback is still so confusing I would properly look to another DAW.
And there are other confusing user interface things that bugs me - accidentally turning knobs when using mouse wheel scroll when scrolling the screen up and down is another serious issue for me, please just allow me to uncheck the "mouse wheel turns knob" feature. 
And the "double space bar click returns time marker to zero" is also just plain stupid! (wrote about that one before but no reply if they would actually consider fixing this, at least allow one to turn it off) 
Yeah - and we cannot edit gain in audio clips directly like you can in Pro tools, well we could if we would like to spend 2 min on it per clip... In Pro tools you just select an area of the clip and with buttons change the gain of the actual audio clip (not automation). We have to choose process effect and load up some vst and change the gain staging in that one. 
Alternatively we could automate the gain staging, but there is no way to make the automation line completely horizontal. You can draw a straight line, but it doesn't snap to horizontal. In Pro tools you select the area of a clip and just drag down from the top, automatically making a horizontal straight line. 

BTW, on a positive note, I got a Pro tools student subscription but gave up on Pro tools immediately - the reason was their audio engine, couldn't even run 2048 samples like I'm used to in Sonar! So if I ever should change DAW Studio one is in my eyes the only competitive candidate, and only in certain areas. Heck you don't even have folders in Pro tools... 
2015/07/04 07:48:27
hanstheman
Btw forgot to write, I've been using Sonar since home studio 4... 

2015/07/04 16:30:31
Spencer
mudgel
Cakewalk actually have a completely different (to Sonar's) development team working on cross platform (Win/OS X) plugins, synths & fx.

You've been a member here for ages but I've recently started noticing you posting again but it all seems really negative stuff. Why don't you get your gripe out and start contributing positively.

I'm a paying customer, been so for ages, I'll whine and moan all day long if I please, make sure to tell me if I break any kind of forum rules. There's lots of my threads in this section, those are my positive contributions. Not that they'll ever see the light of day, since it's becoming increasingly clear that Gibson gave the word that Sonar would now cater first and foremost to traditional musicians and recordists. If the next big feature was a way to fish out a pick from a guitar, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. At this rate you won't see me around suggesting clever ideas, helping others and ****ing at the snail-pace development of the core program for much longer because migrating to FL seems like a better idea every day as Sonar gets more outdated and behind the curve.

To tell you the truth, had I not discovered MUX which allows me to spend as much time as possible outside of Sonar proper in my projects, I'd probably be gone already.
2015/07/04 16:55:37
Notecrusher
Spencer
mudgel

I'm a paying customer, been so for ages, I'll whine and moan all day long if I please, make sure to tell me if I break any kind of forum rules. There's lots of my threads in this section, those are my positive contributions. Not that they'll ever see the light of day, since it's becoming increasingly clear that Gibson gave the word that Sonar would now cater first and foremost to traditional musicians and recordists. If the next big feature was a way to fish out a pick from a guitar, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. At this rate you won't see me around suggesting clever ideas, helping others and ****ing at the snail-pace development of the core program for much longer because migrating to FL seems like a better idea every day as Sonar gets more outdated and behind the curve.

To tell you the truth, had I not discovered MUX which allows me to spend as much time as possible outside of Sonar proper in my projects, I'd probably be gone already.

I'm with you. Can we get Gibson to sell Cakewalk back to Roland? Sorry to say though, I've looked at FL and I'm not impressed. Also purchased Bitwig and tried that for a while but it simply isn't ready for prime-time. 

You mentioned another product previously in conjunction w/ MUX, what was it?
2015/07/04 20:28:16
Spencer
Nerve, it replaces sonar's step sequencer admirably. Huge upgrade.

No daw is perfect and neither is FL but its automation system and piano roll are light years ahead of sonar, gotta admit it. It's really slick.
2015/07/04 21:07:27
charlyg
What kind of charge do you guys get out of this?

Curious minds want to know..

Always wanting to poop on things to make themselves feel better, I guess...
2015/07/05 02:30:23
Notecrusher
Spencer

No daw is perfect and neither is FL but its automation system and piano roll are light years ahead of sonar, gotta admit it. It's really slick.

Hmmm, since I looked last there is a new version of Floops. Looks really good and the GUI has been overhauled which was what bothered me before. Would like to discuss it with you, made a thread here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3250857.aspx#3250857
2015/07/05 05:08:59
mudgel
I have a suggestion for all you dissatisfied guys.

Why don't you spend some time learning the software you whinge so much about. If it doesn't do what you want and if you really think Sonar was better off with Roland than with Gibson... I can't even finish the sentence.... Where do people come up with these incredible insights? Perhaps with those genius skills you could get work as carnival fortune tellers.
2015/07/05 05:10:39
mudgel
Notecrusher
Spencer

Hmmm, since I looked last there is a new version of Floops. Looks really good and the GUI has been overhauled which was what bothered me before. Would like to discuss it with you, made a thread in the coffee shop here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3250527.aspx#3250527

There's actually a forum where non Cakewalk software can be discussed. The Software forum
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account