• Software
  • Studio One - Introduction (p.3)
2017/12/17 11:58:28
rodreb
Arnd, I have a question for you. I know Studio One has sets of keyboard shortcuts to emulate those in some other DAWS, is there a chance a set to emulate Sonar's shortcuts might be implemented. It would really ease some of the burden of switching. Plus, I'm old and find it more difficult to learn new things the older I get. Ha ha!!
2017/12/17 13:48:12
Zargg
rodreb
Arnd, I have a question for you. I know Studio One has sets of keyboard shortcuts to emulate those in some other DAWS, is there a chance a set to emulate Sonar's shortcuts might be implemented. It would really ease some of the burden of switching. Plus, I'm old and find it more difficult to learn new things the older I get. Ha ha!!

I like that idea
My muscle memory is full of SONAR keystrokes, and will take some time to get them replaced/added to S1.
All the best.
2017/12/17 15:28:06
TheMaartian
rodreb

Learning a new set of keyboard shortcuts, as in retraining muscle memory, is a lot of work and unintended consequences can happen.

One thing to consider, though, is that there are tons of excellent training videos for Studio One, and every single one of them uses the default keyboard shortcuts.

If you remap to SONAR shortcuts, you'll have to translate every reference (training videos, FAQs, forum posts, etc) in your head. For as long as you use SO.

Me? I'm just going to bite the bullet and learn the defaults.
2017/12/18 13:22:58
dcumpian
To me, the major keyboard shortcuts I continually stumble over in S1 are the navigation keys in Sonar. I lived in CTRL-PGUP and CTRL-PGDN. Most of the others actually make more sense than they did in Sonar.

Regards,
Dan
2017/12/18 15:11:25
musichoo
Take the effort to learn S1 keyboard shortcut. The rewards is worth the effort.
2017/12/18 17:37:01
Arnd Kaiser
cparmerlee
Arnd, Thank you for spending time here. I purchased StudioOne Pro last summer, mainly to collaborate with another artist.  At that time, I wasn't particularly eager to split time with SONAR because I felt I got better results faster with SONAR.

Be that as it may, I was very impressed with how intuitive the most common operations are in StudioOne.  I know that did not happen by accident.  That is the result of planning and vision, and I commend you and your team for that.  I also commend you for the concept of a specific mastering mode, rather than just encouraging people to throw some "mastering stuff" on the main mixing bus.  What you did there makes very good sense to me.  I had already invested in Ozone, and I believe I can achieve a higher quality result with Ozone (of course, I could use the Ozone plugs in the S1 mastering function.)  I certainly have used your mastering section to assemble CDs.

Finally, I want to congratulate you and your team for being the first to really recognize the possibilities that can come from the convergence of DAW and notation.  I view the current software as a first step that is not terribly useful as it exists today.  However, if you can get to the point that a user can compose freely in MIDI and in notation, at liberty to move from one mode to the other and back again, this will be enormously powerful and will expand the potential DAW market to include a large number of people who compose in notation.

In short, I think you are headed in a good direction.  Having said that, I am moving to Cubase as my main replacement for SONAR because I believe Cubase is considerably more advanced than S1 presently, e.g. in the chord support.  And I really cannot consider Notion at this stage because it is not nearly up to the functional level of Finale, which I have used for ~ 20 years.

Things change.  I don't see Finale keeping up, and expect to see them go the way of SONAR before too long.  I hope Notion and S1 will continue to advance rapidly because we will need those solutions.  And I am certainly not throwing away by S1 license.  I will certainly use S1 as needed for collaborations, and I will probably choose S1 over Cubase on any project that is likely to need Molodyne.

I wish you and your team well.  The work you are doing is recognized and appreciated.

Thanks for your kind words. I can only encourage everyone here to take a close look at Studio One and Notion like you did. There's a lot more to discover in terms of workflow than mentioned here. 
2017/12/18 17:39:51
Arnd Kaiser
musichoo
Take the effort to learn S1 keyboard shortcut. The rewards is worth the effort.

I agree, at the same time I would certainly love to see a Sonar template for keyboard shortcuts. Maybe someone here can create one? I'd be happy to include it in one of the next updates. 
2017/12/19 17:01:19
WallyG
Arnd Kaiser
.... I can only encourage everyone here to take a close look at Studio One and Notion like you did. There's a lot more to discover in terms of workflow than mentioned here. 

I also purchased SO3Pro and Notion 6. (I had a copy of Notion 4). After watching several videos on Groove 3 and other tutorials, I'm really impressed with the features in SO3Pro. After I finish up a few songs in Sonar, I'll switch over to SO3Pro as my main (only) DAW. I'm also going to purchase the FaderPort 16 when it becomes available and retire my X-Touch.

Walt 
2017/12/20 13:40:48
dlesaux
I purchased Studio One during the black Friday deal. The experience has been very positive so far. Although there are differences between Sonar and Studio One, there's not a single thing I was doing in Sonar that I haven't been able to do in Studio One. Other user's experience may vary of course depending on how they used Sonar.

Studio One's "last touched" automation workflow is extremely user friendly. Very clever and easier to use than Sonar's. Their automation lanes are also less buggy than Sonar's. I used to spend a lot of time cleaning up extra nodes in Sonar that seemed to just appear out of nowhere!

Right now, I'm still watching tutorial videos from Groove3 and Studio One Expert and learning something new every day. I hope Studio One has a long life and that i won't need to go through this again!

Thank you Arnd for dropping into this forum and extending a welcome hand. You'll see me on the PreSonus forums.
2017/12/21 17:39:19
mudgel
Would a copy of the 2000 page reference manual be any help? It has a whole section of keyboard shortcuts listed according to the window they work on.

Here’s a link to the Sonar Reference Guide.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ahg7GEVUP0Hf4y22xtZ6Nd52ag_-
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account