• Software
  • Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! (p.2)
2017/12/18 22:45:07
TheWholeDamnZoo
soens
Well I've had every one crash or completely disappear at one point or another while working in them. Probably due to plugin issues. There is no "stable" DAW that I can tell.

I mostly use Ableton Live and never had such issues. I don't know which DAWs you use but have you rules out problems with your system or hardware?
2017/12/18 22:49:35
Jeff Evans
Studio One is seriously stable. Probably far more stable then Sonar in fact. Something Sonar users might not be used to.
2017/12/18 23:26:26
DaGeek
Jeff Evans
Studio One is seriously stable. Probably far more stable then Sonar in fact. Something Sonar users might not be used to.

Not for me - yesterday just playing one of the demo projects all of a sudden the screen sped up and went totally crazy UI wise without me touching anything. Also have had a few dropouts from time to time, though rare. Cubase, Samplitude, Digital Performer, Mixbus and Reaper have all worked like champs. To be fair, Sonar has never been reliably stable either.
2017/12/18 23:28:28
CoteRotie
Jeff Evans

Agreed.  I have a few days on Studio One now, and ease of setup is amazing, it's rock-solid so far and the workflow is pretty good.  I don't like how it shows effects in the mixer view, I like Sonar's effects bins much better, but it's workable.  No weirdness so far, things seem to work much more smoothly than the other DAWs I've tried.

2017/12/18 23:39:52
DaGeek
CoteRotie
Jeff Evans

Agreed.  I have a few days on Studio One now, and ease of setup is amazing, it's rock-solid so far and the workflow is pretty good.  I don't like how it shows effects in the mixer view, I like Sonar's effects bins much better, but it's workable.  No weirdness so far, things seem to work much more smoothly than the other DAWs I've tried.

I absolutely LOVE how it puts all the effects for the channel in a tabbed dialog when you click on one of the effects to edit. Makes it so much easier to cycle through each and tweak. Not sure if you can override that behavior or not. Wish the other DAWs had that. 
2017/12/19 01:30:39
StevenMikel
 I've been using Cubase LE AI,it came with my interface.I like it so far,it hasn't given me any problems and,after watching a few videos,I don't have any trouble working with it.It's got all of the basic functions I need and it lets me use all of my 3rd part plugins.I was disappointed when I tried Studio One Prime and it wouldn't let me use my plugins.
 I just downloaded the demo of Studio One 3 Pro and will be trying that out for a few days.I tried Reaper and just wan't feeling it,I might give it another shot though.I tried it once a few years ago when it had just gone to version 4 and didn't have any problems then.
 I'm strongly considering Cubase because I'm already familiar with it,the only thing I don't like is having to use the elicenser. The other reason I'm considering Cubase is because of the VST,Note Expression. One of my favorite things about Studio One is the splitter function.
2017/12/19 02:20:18
WallyG
kevmsmith81
I won't touch anything which requires ILOK....

Ditto!

Walt
2017/12/20 14:59:40
bitflipper
I managed to crash the un-crashable Studio One. Several times. I have also crashed Samplitude once, but that was caused by a plugin, not the DAW itself.

SONAR, OTOH, is rock-solid and has been for years.
2017/12/20 16:24:05
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, I've got just about all the main DAW applications for PC... and I don't find any of them particularly unstable (including Sonar Platinum).
Most issues are with plugins...
2017/12/20 16:29:24
Jim Roseberry
I get the comments about iLok.

But... one nice thing is that you don't have to deal with challange/response (authorization).
In my case (due to my career), my main studio machine is almost constantly changing.
It's nice to not have to constantly re-authorize all applications/plugins.  
Especially nice not having to worry about limited authorizations...
ie: As much as I like Samplitude, it's annoying to have to contact support once you've blown thru three authorizations.  An authorization system more like Studio One's (where you can remove unused authorizations) would be much appreciated.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account