• Software
  • Overall Experience Trying New DAWs! (p.3)
2017/12/20 17:43:16
Amicus717
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, I've got just about all the main DAW applications for PC... and I don't find any of them particularly unstable (including Sonar Platinum).
Most issues are with plugins...

That has been my experience, too. None of the DAWs I have used or tested have had any stability problems. Over the past 6 months I've used Reaper, Samplitude, and Mixbus; and this month I've done intensive testing of Studio One, Cubase, and Mixcraft.  In all cases, I don't recall a recent crash that was caused by the DAW itself, and in the case of Cubase and Studio One, I've had no crashes at all, so far...

The few crashes I did experience were all plug-in related, and most of the time it was a Sonivox plugin that seemed to be involved, for whatever reason. 

As for Sonar PLAT, there was a short time about a year ago when I was having issues, but they were related to hardware problems and had nothing to due with Sonar itself. Once I resolved those issues, PLAT was very stable and trouble-free. 
2017/12/20 17:50:46
synkrotron
Jeff Evans
Studio One is seriously stable.

I agree.

Not that it hasn't crashed on me at all, but nowhere near as much as SONAR did.

I was in my test project for getting on eight hours straight the other day (having no paid work has its advantages) and it never crashed one. CPU meter was running at around 45-50%.

Got segs on me arse though...
2017/12/20 18:34:55
cityrat
Have never had an issue - rarely with SONAR, never with any of the ones I've been trying (except Overture - but that's not really the full "DAW" we're talking about.)
2017/12/21 18:03:51
denverdrummer
DaGeek
Jeff Evans
Studio One is seriously stable. Probably far more stable then Sonar in fact. Something Sonar users might not be used to.

Not for me - yesterday just playing one of the demo projects all of a sudden the screen sped up and went totally crazy UI wise without me touching anything. Also have had a few dropouts from time to time, though rare. Cubase, Samplitude, Digital Performer, Mixbus and Reaper have all worked like champs. To be fair, Sonar has never been reliably stable either.

That's been my experience with Studio One as well.  I gave up on Studio One when it would constantly drop out in the middle of recording.  I haven't had to many problems with Sonar during recording, usually my stability problems were in mixing during playback, and there were some buggy things with take lanes, but I really enjoyed mixing far more in Sonar than Studio One, and doing anything MIDI related in Studio One is usually a 5 or 6 step process where in Sonar it was just a couple of mouse clicks.

2017/12/21 20:59:52
Jeff Evans
Depends on who you are talking to. Any major Studio One problems here are more than likely due to the users systems. I have had it installed on a Win 7 machine for 6 years and never had a crash. Especially in recording. Got it on an iMac as well now and same thing. It might have something to do with the ton of other Daw's you all have got installed.

Mixing for me is much nicer on Studio One than most other Daw's. Sonar feels clunky to me now mixing wise. Midi is powerful in Studio One too. Often many functions can be performed with way less mouse clicks in fact. It is people's lack of knowledge that mostly gets them into trouble.
I frequently run upwards of 100 plugins with REAPER, using 64 samples latency 24/44 and have never changed my latency, frozen tracks, or done anything other than happily record tracks and not bother thinking about my DAW or any of it's settings.
2017/12/22 03:54:30
djwayne
Studio One refuses to stay locked on to my Focurite 18i8. very frustrating.
2017/12/22 04:01:38
denverdrummer
djwayne
Studio One refuses to stay locked on to my Focurite 18i8. very frustrating.

Same problem with the 18i20.  Even worse when I tried to record with my Behringer XR18 on live shows.  May just not like 3rd party hardware.
2017/12/22 04:09:57
Jeff Evans
I have got a Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen ( as well as my main audio interface) and it works perfectly for me. Have you got the latest version of Focusrite Control installed. I think it is 2.18 right now.

Many of the problems being mentioned here are just not a reality for me. Sounds like other parts of your system maybe causing the issues.
2017/12/22 04:20:01
denverdrummer
1st gen on mine, so it's 1.8 FW level 634
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account