• SONAR
  • How to convert keyboard "Style" to" Sysex" file? (p.2)
2013/11/10 04:23:54
Jeff Evans
Hi ramtin. I realise what I am suggesting is not ideal but an option. It is not difficult to synchronise the measures from your sequencer and the Technics keyboard.

You will have to get your DAW sequencer to send midi clock out the midi port that is feeding your Technics.

Normally the Technics is running on its own internal clock but it can be put into external sync mode and in this mode it will start and stop and sync with the sequencer. The Technicas will lock to the incoming external clock. It is in the manual. RealTime Setting (Midi 2: Page 1) Where it says 'clock' <int> Change this setting to <Midi>

When you powerup again it will be back onto <Int> automatically. However you will need to put it back to <Int> for normal operation again without powering OFF.

Most keyboards sync to sequencers very well.
2013/11/10 06:56:38
ramtin
Dear Jeff,
I can set My keyboard clock.But can I ask you how can I set Sonar x1 to send midi clock out the midi port that is feeding My Technics and ultimately apply your method? I think that I have to open the style by midi format and set the ports of each track corresponded to my keyboard.My keyboard style is filling one by one for example 1-drums 2-base 3-acomp1,.....
Can you please explain more?
Thanks in advance
2013/11/10 15:27:27
Jeff Evans
From the X1 Manual. I just looked up stuff on Midi Sync:

To use MIDI Sync with SONAR as the master
1. Configure your external MIDI devices to receive MIDI Sync.
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Project - MIDI.
3. Check the Transmit MIDI Start/Continue/Stop/Clock box.
4. For most applications, check the Transmit MIDI Song Position Pointer box.
5. If you are using a drum machine to play patterns or loops, check the Use Start, Never Continu
option and disable the Transmit MIDI Song Position Pointer option.
6. In the MIDI Sync Output Ports field, check off the output ports that you want to send the sync
signal out of.
7. Click OK.
From now on, the transport controls in SONAR control playback on the external MIDI devices.
2013/11/10 20:20:36
LHong
ramtin
LHong
Have a look MIDIOX
  http://www.midiox.com/ 

May be it does what you need!
P/S: for some reasons, I couldn't get the direct link here!

Good luck!

Dear LHong,
Thanks for your offer, 
I have already used the software.But had'nt seen any option for this particular case, in Midi-ox Tabs,If you Know any option there which can help me on the case please do the favor to me
Regards
Ramtin

Basically, the MIDIOX is an application that allows you to transfer from SysEx file (.syx) or from Text editor data to your MIDI keyboard as "SysEx Dump".
In your case as Style files (.sty or .cpm), which is similar to (8-16 tracks) MIDI file format and contained the MIDI track's marker to determine what the parts in the keyboard style to work, such as Intro, main, fill or end, etc...you could simply import the styles to Sonar for MIDI editing as needed.

What you will also need is an utility of MIDI to Sysex can be found as follows. It allows to convert the styles (or MIDI file) to SysEx (.syx). Then you can use MIDIOX -> load file -> send Sysex.
 http://www.bwalk.com.au/MidiUtil/SyxToMidi.zip  

Home page:
 http://www.bwalk.com.au/MidiUtil/FileConvert.html  

An alternative MIDIOX is sendsx from Bome
 http://www.bome.com/products/sendsx 

Hope this helps!

2013/11/11 01:51:56
ramtin
Dear LHong,
Thanks for your explanation,
As I have studied,Any instrument has its own ID in Sysex.For example for “Technics SX KN 1000” they are
F0 : Exclusive status,
50 : Technics ID
21 : Individual data command
01 : KN
10 : Model 1000 (Should be)
01 : data size (Should be)
F7 : End of Exclusive
Secondly there are some other codes, which define the address which sysex file should be placed in the keyboard style user panels. Because the address for Style is different as song(sequence) or .....
When I  convert the style to midi file and then change it to Sysex,as the output is an midi file,
  1. How the converter software can find that it is a “Technics SX KN 1000” file and precise the correct ID in sysex file?
  2. As the converter is converting Midi to SYSEX how it can recognize that it is a "style" and specify the correct address in Sysex file in order to place in the keyboard style user panels?
Regards,
Ramtin
2013/11/11 03:39:43
LHong
Good question!
I think the "MIDI to SYSEX" Utility just does trans-coding (whether style or not)!

It might be good idea to keep original style format instead of converting "style to midi".
How about try to convert directly from the style file by changing extension to .mid from .sty or .cpm.

2013/11/11 04:54:53
ramtin
Dear Lhong
your advice, changing extension to .mid from .sty or .cpm is not applicable,

regards

2013/11/11 11:40:03
LHong
Sorry to hear it! I don't have Technics Keyboard nor those utilities with me at the moment!
Look likes you need more specific "Style to SysEx file conversion" for your Technics keyboard to work properly! Just wondering how other people do, in order to get the "SN1000 style file" to work? From Floppy Drive?

Edit: It seems be OK (created .syx output file), when I tried the Yamaha Tyros style (.STY) renamed to .mid and ran "MIDI to Sysex" utility! Not sure about the .CMP Style file since I don't own any!
Have a look  the example as follows:
Input style file (original before rename to .mid):
 http://www.mediafire.com/?63e871sfna2idzp 

Output Sysex file:
 http://www.mediafire.com/?3a1wm2wh32jsw98 

Any ideas?

2013/11/12 01:52:19
ramtin
Jeff Evans
From the X1 Manual. I just looked up stuff on Midi Sync:

To use MIDI Sync with SONAR as the master
1. Configure your external MIDI devices to receive MIDI Sync.
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Project - MIDI.
3. Check the Transmit MIDI Start/Continue/Stop/Clock box.
4. For most applications, check the Transmit MIDI Song Position Pointer box.
5. If you are using a drum machine to play patterns or loops, check the Use Start, Never Continu
option and disable the Transmit MIDI Song Position Pointer option.
6. In the MIDI Sync Output Ports field, check off the output ports that you want to send the sync
signal out of.
7. Click OK.
From now on, the transport controls in SONAR control playback on the external MIDI devices.

Dear Jeff,
I apply the setting on Sonar and fortunately, I was able to fill the style in my "keyboard user style". But a small problem occur when I use the combination of sonar and midi file in order to fill the style. Actually there is happened some disorder specially on drums tracks when it is playing back through keyboard speakers. It may change the original octave on drum track and/or something else. Wherever, I had not the same problem when I had done the same, using "Style works XT universal" and the play back was performing very well through my keyboard speaker. As I have Many Tools in sonar such as loop, merge, copy delete etc.  ...and above all, I can set my keyboard clock with sonar to playback in same time, I prefer to use sonar to handle this issue and hope that you have a solution to remove disorder and match the drum tracks with the keyboard.
Regards
Ramtin
2013/11/12 02:08:14
ramtin
LHong
Sorry to hear it! I don't have Technics Keyboard nor those utilities with me at the moment!
Look likes you need more specific "Style to SysEx file conversion" for your Technics keyboard to work properly! Just wondering how other people do, in order to get the "SN1000 style file" to work? From Floppy Drive?

Edit: It seems be OK (created .syx output file), when I tried the Yamaha Tyros style (.STY) renamed to .mid and ran "MIDI to Sysex" utility! Not sure about the .CMP Style file since I don't own any!
Have a look  the example as follows:
Input style file (original before rename to .mid):
 http://www.mediafire.com/?63e871sfna2idzp 

Output Sysex file:
 http://www.mediafire.com/?3a1wm2wh32jsw98 

Any ideas?

Dear LHong,
Thanks for your support,I was not able to check your solution because
  1.  Mediafire did not respond when I was going to download your result,and the following masage was appeared:

MediaFire will be right back!

2. The software which I had downloaded was not trial version and asked me for donate.
Regards
Ramtin

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account