MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY?

Author
marvinglenn2
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
2014/12/12 01:51:07 (permalink)

MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY?

I started out, 15 years ago, on an iMac and experienced an 18 month struggle that I hope never to repeat.  After switching to Windows, I was off and running!  Mac, I know, has improved immensely since then (so I've been told) but I'm asking for your recommendations based on your recent experiences with these platforms.  Just a quick opinion.  If you're passionate about one or the other, please concisely explain your passion.
I realize there could be some real hurdles to overcome by switching and I hope to be able to determine if it will be worth the effort.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

i7, 16GB Ram, Roland Quad Capture, MOTU MIDI, Event 8 Monitors, Dual Screens, Yamaha Controller, Virtuoso, Proteus 2000, Roland XV3080, Presonus Eureka, Rode NTK, etc. etc.

16 Replies Related Threads

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/12 01:52:46 (permalink)
    PC because Sonar doesn't run natively on a MAC. 
    Larry Jones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 834
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/12 01:58:52 (permalink)
    Mac vs. PC is the third rail of user forums. Touch it at your own risk.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    maltastudio
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/12 02:04:26 (permalink)
    For Sonar 100% PC Win 8.1.

Peace 

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
    Sonar Platinum Latest 64Bit  
    Pro Tools 12.. Latest
    Motu 624 AVB , Yamaha 01v96i
    www.maltastudio.com
    https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/12 03:04:15 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy
    PC because Sonar doesn't run natively on a MAC. 

Yes.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/12 06:37:41 (permalink)
    Plus why pay 3X as much for an equivalent MAC plus the software to run Windows applications.

I have an iPhone so I'm not 100% anti-Apple. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/12 20:59:53 (permalink)
    My son installed OSX? on an Acer laptop, works great.. 1/3 the price. But he finds it hard to get cheap or free apps for it so can't see the point in it all. PC has better software , free and cheap. He's thinking of running Logic on it because everyone he plays with uses Logic. 
    Macs are made out of the same guts these days I am told. 
    But there are better music apps for the iPad than there is for the Andriods. So iPAds are sort of worth it. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/30 19:13:36 (permalink)
    You can make a dual-boot Hakintosh, or run Boot Camp on a Mac to get the Windows partition you need. Parallels or another virtual Windows environ will be too slow.

But, why bother? If you need a mac for something else, get those little bricks they sell and just share the keyboard, monitor, and mouse (KVM). Or get an iMac, the latest of which are in face totes amazing.

But for a DAW? You'll get way more bang for the buck with a PC, and have lots of DAW options to choose from including and aside from SONAR. If you go all in on a Mac build you've still got options (Reaper, Logic, DP, Cubase, etc) but your hardware costs will be higher. 

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/30 20:28:05 (permalink)
    ...wicked
     If you go all in on a Mac build you've still got options (Reaper, Logic, DP, Cubase, etc) but your hardware costs will be higher. 

Though the hardware retains a certain value making the financial argument a half truth. My old MacBook Pro still goes for over 1/3 of what I paid for it in 2010. Not bad at all, especially compared to my two last PCs, which I literally had to pay to get rid of. 

With that out of the way, Sonar on a PC is an absolutely valid option and one which I still recommend to my friends starting out if they're on PC.

As for OS, I have no experience with the latest incarnations of Windows, but 7 looks like a very solid contender. 

OTOH, the latest Mac OS I hate with a passion, and the one before that, Mavericks was almost as bad. My brand new Mac running Mavericks takes quite a while to start up compared to my previous computer running Snow Leopard.

I often toy with the idea of installing Windows on my MacBook only to run Sonar - but the idea of having to go back to managing drivers, cleaning the registry, optimizing things and all keep me from it.

Even if Mavericks and Yosemite suck, you can pretty much just pick any Mac off the shelf, start it, log into your account, download Logic and you're set. The default Apple drivers for my audio interface actually give me better performance than the manufacturer's...

I realize that things aren't what they were on Windows 5 years ago, but I've just gotten spoiled I guess. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    backwoods
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2571
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/30 22:19:48 (permalink)
    PC- you can even get one that costs as much as a Mac if you shop carefully.
    Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/30 23:26:46 (permalink)
    They are all PC's now.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/31 00:20:33 (permalink)
    I think the answer to your question can swing on a few factors. One big factor, IMHO, is if you plan to use your computer for general use as well.  Macs seem to hold up better in that regard. Macs are also a little more functional out the box for music since the native sound is easier to use in a pinch compared to buiilt-in PC sound options.

I think Rain has a point about the value, but there are other factors that push Alex's initial version of the truth a little more his way. I rarely bother selling PC's because there tends to be an overlap in usable components. Recycling components like video cards and such can bring about huge savings.  Unless you are a high end gamer or an advanced 3D artist, odds are good that a quality video card from 2010 is still useful. i know that scenario is not perfect and does not cover laptops, but i also know high end gaming pc laptops on par price wise with Macs have higher resale value than your typical Dell or HP.

For me, the one thing that makes me contemplate getting a Mac is for Mac only software like Logic.  I have contemplated the hackintosh route but fear Apple will do their best to make using a hackintosh a constant struggle.
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/31 02:16:56 (permalink)
    dubdisciple

I think Rain has a point about the value, but there are other factors that push Alex's initial version of the truth a little more his way. I rarely bother selling PC's because there tends to be an overlap in usable components. Recycling components like video cards and such can bring about huge savings.  Unless you are a high end gamer or an advanced 3D artist, odds are good that a quality video card from 2010 is still useful. i know that scenario is not perfect and does not cover laptops, but i also know high end gaming pc laptops on par price wise with Macs have higher resale value than your typical Dell or HP.

I was thinking about that earlier tonight... The point is valid, and as a matter of fact, this is also where one of the biggest crossroads is found.

Personally, though I've built and I did troubleshoot my own PCs for years, the last thing I want is to do is get under the hood. That component you recycle from 2010 may save you money. It may also cause you headaches. At any point, anything you recycle may or may not be a cause of trouble. 

The very least you'll have to do is get into that technical frame of mind and investigate how the various components you want to use work together. As a matter of fact, putting a computer together implies a certain amount of research and staying up to date.

I did that, and it was no big deal. Some dig it, and I get it. But after living w/o having to ever worry about such things, I sure wouldn't want to go back. I don't stay up to date, I don't care about technicalities.

Every minute I spend NOT thinking about my computer and its components is a gift.

When it was time to upgrade a few months back, I visited Apple's web site, found a Mac that matched my needs and budget, went to the MacStore the following day, picked that computer and brought it home.. 

I was up and running minutes later.

With a bit of research and will, someone could have put together a much better PC, but the fact is that, in spite of all the theoretical superiority, my Mac does all that I need. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/31 11:19:27 (permalink)
    The platform you choose should be based on the SOFTWARE you want to use.

If Logic is your primary DAW application, you buy a Mac.
    IMO, Doesn't make sense to buy a Mac to run Sonar (under Bootcamp) as your primary DAW application... when it's not officially supported.  

Hackintosh is very intriguing... but by definition you're running a hacked-together OS... which can be "broken" with any update.

Neither platform is inherently more/less stable.

The basic hardware (motherboards/CPU/RAM) is identical on Mac and PC.
    This includes the onboard audio (ie: Realtek).  Mac isn't using a different/dedicated audio interface.
    The difference being OSX has slightly better lower-level support for low-latency audio.  
    Thus, a Mac will get decent low-latency performance from the same onboard Realtek audio.
    You still don't want to use the onboard audio... as it's no match for a dedicated audio interface.

post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2014/12/31 11:41:10

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/31 16:43:09 (permalink)
    Also you don't want to get a Mac if you aren't using Apple's Os because you pay a massive premium for having a shiny box. This is not only in terms of a price premium for what hardware you get, but in terms of lack of expandability. You can just get a lot more PC for your dollar, and you can upgrade that system later in all kinds of ways if needed. So it just makes no sense to spend more and get less, unless you wish the software that comes with it.

Also, with regards to audio, you run in to the issue of MacOS and version support. They only patch versions 2 versions old, rev their OS pretty fast, and change things with little notice. This leads to a situation where having a stable platform is hard. You find things like OS 10.6 not supporting the newest Kontakt update, whereas it is supported on Windows 7 (both released 5 years ago) and running fine on Vista (released 8 years ago). MS supports an OS for a minimum of 10 years from original release, meaning you can have a stable platform for a lengthy period if you want. Personally I like upgrading pretty quick, but I know some professionals that want to stay on a set platform for a good long while and MS's support model makes that much more realistic.
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2014/12/31 20:27:47 (permalink)
    Well coming to a forum with mainly PC users is bound to be tilted that way. I'm still thinking Sonar might be ported over or written for OSX one day. But if not I'll still be a fan.

It really depends on your wants/needs and what you personally like about each OS and music software.. Either will do just fine. PC is the least expensive route hands down.I'm not personally concerned about my PC once it has seen better days....I'll probably give it away rather than bother with making a few bucks on it.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: MAC or PC FOR AUDIO PRODUCTION WITH SONAR? AND WHY? 2015/01/01 10:01:27 (permalink)
    Linux Ubuntu studio is my favorite. Windows takes tons of configuring to make it work for real time audio and even with all my years of practice I have computer issues in the field. I've never used a Mac for audio but that may be changing as I'm being issued a Mac for my new job role.

That said, my main daw its sonar x3 on Windows 8.1. I'm held back from giving up Windows because RME DigiCheck and TotalMix are not available on Linux.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1