Helpful ReplyM-Audio Keystation 88es Channel Change

Author
polarbear
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1212
2014/11/20 13:24:45 (permalink)

M-Audio Keystation 88es Channel Change

hey everyone,

so I have an m-audio keystation 88es, and in kontakt, i always have to go in and choose midi omni to get any sounds to happen when I hit keys on the keyboard... i always thought it was a software thing and it hit me today... oh, i bet my keyboard isn't set to channel 1! however, i can't quite figure out how to set the channel.

i found the manual, but it has this layout that i guess is more of a general layout that applies to all the differently sized keyboards, but i not necessarily to the 88 specifically, so i'm worried about hitting the wrong keys after hitting the advanced functions button.  i did some googling but so far no luck. anyone know exactly what keys i need to hit to get my channel switched to channel 1?

thanks.

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: M-Audio Keystation 88es Channel Change 2014/11/20 14:10:59 (permalink)
From the manual

Channel
MIDI data from the keyboard can be sent on any of 16 MIDI Channels. However, certain MIDI devices and MIDI software applications require
the keyboard to send data on a specified channel. If this is the case, you can change the channel the data is sent using the following
method:
< Press the Advanced Functions button to engage Edit Mode.
< Press one of the 16 Channel keys from D1 to E3, according to the Channel that you need.
For example, if a device specifies that you need to send data on Channel 10, press the Advanced Functions button, and then key F2 to select
Channel 10.
The Channel can also be assigned to the Octave “+” and “-” buttons. Once assigned, pressing “+” or “-” will increase or decrease the channel
incrementally. When Channel 16 is reached and “+” is pressed, Channel 1 will be selected. If the Octave “+” and “-” keys are selected to vary
the Channel, the lights above the buttons will not change, since it is not possible to have a Channel with a negative value. Pressing both the
“+” and “-” buttons together will recall Channel 1.

Then try recoding some midi and check the events list it should tell you what channel you are transmitting on.

Or even try that first.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
polarbear
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1212
Re: M-Audio Keystation 88es Channel Change 2014/11/20 14:15:33 (permalink)
Yea see that's what I found too, but I just don't get it. I'm so not used to hardware based stuff... I'm so reliant on software and mouse clicks haha.

So D1 is Channel 1, and it follows all the white keys only up to E3 as 16?

You know what. I decided to just not be a wuss and try it and it worked haha.

It just would have been nice if there was a clearly laid out image that actually said "CHANNEL 1" above the D1, etc etc to make it clearer. But hey, I'm good!

Thanks!

http://www.bydavidrosen.com
http://www.imdb.me/davidrosen
Winner of Best Song of 2007 at Acidplanet.com!

PC Audio Labs Rokbox OB1 - Gigabyte X99-UD4-CF - Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz - 32GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 7700 - Windows 7 Pro
Sonar Platinum - Komplete 9 Ultimate - Spectrasonics Omnisphere - reFX Nexus2 - And the list goes on...
RME BabyFace Pro - M-Audio Keystation 88es
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
Re: M-Audio Keystation 88es Channel Change 2014/11/20 14:48:06 (permalink)
I know what you mean I have a Keystation Pro 88 and that is not obvious either, thankfully I have the free software product for programming the thing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re: M-Audio Keystation 88es Channel Change 2014/11/22 19:48:46 (permalink)
Hey Wookiee:

What free software product are you referring to for programming the Keystation Pro 88?

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
Re: M-Audio Keystation 88es Channel Change 2014/11/23 13:22:15 (permalink)
Mr Barnes Sir Enigma came on the original driver install disk if ya need a copy let me know I will see what I can do. 

thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re: M-Audio Keystation 88es Channel Change 2014/11/23 14:29:50 (permalink)
Oh yeah, Enigma. I forgot about that. I have a copy, but my USB port got messed up on my Keystation and Enigma wont send any data using the standard MIDI ports.

Thanks for the reply, though. 

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: M-Audio Keystation 88es Channel Change 2014/11/23 14:40:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kristoffer 2014/11/24 16:23:07
I have that same controller, but it works like this for any controller, if you leave Sonar set for Omni (default).

Omni means that Sonar will send any midi data it receives on that midi track to the output synth assigned to that midi track.

The trick is that you have to do one of two things to get Sonar to REACT on that midi track for what you are playing on your controller:

1.  Bring THAT midi track into focus, by clicking on the track in console view, or in track view by clicking on the number on the far left side of THAT midi track (click on the track number).

2.  You can have the focus on another track, but still hear your midi track's associated synth IF you click on that midi track's midi Input Echo On button, so that it lights up.  I use this method to cause multiple midi tracks to play at the same time, so I will have the focus on let's say a nice piano midi track.  I may also want to hear a backing pad, so I will have a separate midi track and associated synth set up, and all I have to do is to simply click on the backing track's midi Input Echo On button to ALSO get Sonar to send any midi data along to the associated backing track's synth.  You can do this with any number of different midi tracks, to get all kinds of nice layers while you are playing.  You can decide if you want to record all of that data at the same time, or not, by arming any of those additional tracks for record.  (I don't actually suggest that usually, as I tend to hold backing track chords more and not have them echo every single piano note, and so on).

So, in any case, however you end up choosing to configure things, for none of the above do I have to change my midi controller's midi channel, NOR do I have to set different midi channels for the additional midi tracks.  Sonar will record each of my midi tracks on channel 1, the default, but each track only plays back the midi data recorded on its track, and sends its midi data only to each track's designated synth from the Output assignment made for each midi track.

Things DO need midi channel adjustments when you have multiple instruments loaded up into a multi-timbral synth like Kontakt.  If I have a single instance of Kontakt loaded with Piano, Strings, Bass, and Organ, I set up the Kontakt Output routing section so that each loaded instrument gets its output routed to its own stereo output channels, and Kontakt automatically assigns the next available midi channel to each synth as it is loaded into Kontakt.  This means that if I loaded the instruments in the order of: Piano, Strings, Bass, Organ, then Kontakt will assign those to midi channels 1,2,3,4 (Piano gets 1, Strings gets 2, etc).

Then I set up a separate midi track and audio tracks for each of the instruments, BUT the midi Outputs will all say only Kontakt as the synth - that alone will not send the Piano midi data to sound through the Piano instrument.

For THAT to all work, I go to each midi track, and just under the F/X bin of each midi track, there is a place to set the Midi Output Channel, and I click on the drop-downs of each track and set the appropriate midi output channel for the tracks (Piano gets 1, Strings gets 2, etc).

Then, as any midi track for the above is brought into focus, OR that track's midi input echo on button is manually lit, then since all the tracks are set to Omni, Sonar will not care that your controller is set to channel 1, BUT it will transform the midi channel of any data you trigger through your controller to that of each midi track's midi Output Channel assignment.  SOOOOO, even though I play my controller on midi channel 1, IF the midi track for Strings is in focus or that track's midi Input Echo On is on, then Sonar will send any triggered midi data on midi channel TWO (2) of the Kontakt synth, and you will hear the Strings sounds playing.

I have to head out to church, so I have to stop.  The above may seem quite confusing, but once you get it, it will quickly become second nature to you - it's harder to explain than it is to just do.

You can layer up sounds from different instruments any way you wish, and Sonar will cheerfully accommodate you, as long as your routing assignments are set properly, AND you have the desired tracks set to send midi data to their associated synths (focus and/or input echo on, as described above).

I HOPE some of the above helps you with it all - best of it all, and please post back if you have any problems figuring any of this stuff out.  The forum is a GREAT place for help and guidance.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1