MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1

Author
robynsky
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2011/01/21 10:27:18 (permalink)

MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1

HI there

I am running windows 7 64bit. Quad core 2.8 Ghz with 8GB ram (PC1333).

I have been a long time supporter of Sonar and recently did a project for a customer who insisted that the project be done on Pro tools. They paid for pro tools and the M Box 2, so I was happy. Although I am not very fond of Pro tools, I do like the M Box interface.

My problem is this. When  I run the M Box in sonar 8.5 it was running like a charm. When I upgraded to X1. the M box became a B.M.I.L ( bad mother in law.) I have looked at the forums and am not seeing anyone else with this problem. When I run a midi project and insert a virtual instrument it shuts down sonar completely. if I run an audio project the marker gets to the first bar and then stops moving although the project continues working?

I have made sure I have the latest driver, I have un installed and re installed. I have changed latency settings etc etc. I just cannot get past this.

I cant see that this is a 64 bit problem cause the interface works well with 8.5 and my laptop still has 8.5 on it and  it is also running 64bit and it works well.

When I run my PCI M Audio card I have no problems at all.

So if there are any suggestions I would appreciate it I am a little lost.  

Thanks guys and gals.

27 Replies Related Threads

siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/21 12:38:04 (permalink)
    I am VERY interested in if you have or do find a solution to this.  I am planning on getting a mbox w/protools in the next couple of weeks and i would hate to spend $500+ on something I can't use.    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its likely a X1 problem.   I have also have a quad core 8gb phenom and I got to the point where X1 wouldn't open at all, even with the m-audio pci card.  I just got done doing a factory reset on my machine and i'm waiting until X1b comes out before i reinstall X1 on it. I know I probbly didn't  have to go to the expreme of a reset, but I i'm crazy like that and don't my machine to have any bad memories of X1 when i do try to reinstall it. plus crashing that many times can't be good for any machine. Mine got to where it couldn't uninstall unrelated programs like that dang media smart crap I didn;t want in the first place. heh    I have a tv, I don't need to watch netflix on my studio computer.  after the reset though I ws able to uninstall all the extra crap from the factory I didn't want / need.   I assumed I was the only one haveing problems with the X1- phenom combo.    I hate your having problems  but I'm glad I'm not alone.   lol     please keep us posted if you find a reason or fix for your problems.   sorry i'm not much help my friend..

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/22 02:51:04 (permalink)
    Hi there thanks for the reply.

What I said about pro tools I have 804. Its real good, it just takes alot of getting used to if you are used to Sonar. Midi editing is poor if you compare it to Sonar.

I am going to upgrade my laptop Lenovo W510 Quad 4 / 8GB Ram Win 7 64 bit  to X1 and see if I can re create the problem.

will let you know.

thanks

VigilantSound
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 474
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/22 10:46:54 (permalink)
    Are you useing asio?

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
    4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
    ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
    MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
    SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
    Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

siris1977
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/22 12:27:08 (permalink)
    Ok i just moticed that if you use a delta 1010 you are NOT posed to install the X1a  patch.

"The SONAR development team is working around the clock to address this issue however in the meantime we recommend that if you are using any of the following audio interfaces that you do not install this update until we can correct the issue.
    • Any Lynx Studio Technology interface
    • Digital Audio Labs Card Deluxe
    • M-Audio Delta 1010
    • Frontier Design Group Dakota"
    I wonder if that goes for the m-box as well since it is pretty close to a delta 1010.?.

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 00:59:37 (permalink)
    Hi there

I have not istalled the Patch X1a

I am using ASIO yes, but I have tried WSAPI (I think its called) also. Its morning here in SA, going to try to do the laptop this morning to try to re create.

Iam really stumped.

thanks for all the replies.

siris1977
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 04:29:50 (permalink)
    if you use that you still need to do a hardware test in WDM  to get some of the info the WSAPI didnt collect.   
    then change back to WSAPI 

have you tried that?

robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 05:29:47 (permalink)
    OK Update on the problem. I have installed the MBox on my Laptop --- and it works like a charm. so it does not look like a 64 bit problem neither a X1 problem. -- I also checked the Microsoft patches, I cant find a patch that is USB \ sound etc related. I also made sure that the Laptop has the same patches on it as the desktop so we can rule that out. so I think the problem is with my install on the main studio PC

I am going to unestall X1 completely and do some registry cleaning also

will let you know.

VigilantSound
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 11:35:12 (permalink)
    The x1a patch is for pci audio cards, not usb.....

the mbox2 should work without it,  mine does....

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

JClosed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 11:54:18 (permalink)
    Yes - I even got the old and outdated (grin) Mbox 1 working in Windows7 64bit, even while Digidesign (now Avid) did not supported Vista at all for this hardware. The trick is to make the driver installer program Windows XP compatible (because it is mend to be used in Windows XP) and install the drivers as Administrator...

I have really no idea why the Mbox2 did not work. Are you sure you used the latest drivers AND used the 64 bit drivers?
    robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 12:37:15 (permalink)
    OK I got this down. The problem here is pro tools itself.

It has nothing to do with latency, or ASIO, or any other driver setting. Believe me I spend from 9 o clock this morning to now 19h42.
    Earlier I said that the Mbox 2 was working well with my Sonar X1 install on my Laptop. The reason for this was because I installed the laptop fresh with Sonar X1. (did not upgrade from 8.5) I re loaded the laptop and then installed Sonar X1 and for the Mbox used the Pro Audio 9 driver and not the 804 driver. This works and it works well.
    I cleared a drive on my Main studio PC and set it up in the BIOS as the Boot drive. Then loaded it with Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate. Once that was done I installed Sonar X1 and it was performing better than ever. I installed the Pro Tools 9 driver and connected the Mbox and it works like a charm.
    Remember the Pro tools 9 driver is fully 64 bit compliant. The 804 driver is to HOWEVER you have to have pro tools already installed to apply the update, and the driver is contained in the update its not separate. If any of you have ever had the displeasure of installing pro tools 8 on a 64bit machine you will know that it is a mission. You have to run it in compatibility mode from the properties view of the setup.exe, then you also have to run as administrator, then you must not connect the hardware when prompted but wait till it has installed the drivers, at this point the install will hang. Pro tools advice is to start the install again. Anyway it’s a nightmare.
    On a hunch I decided to try install pro tools on the laptop (that was working well) after 3 attempts at the Pro tools install I called it a day, however the little it did install completely blew the sonar install out the water. The Mbox now was no longer working, completely hanging the X1 as soon as you try to play audio or run a virtual instrument. I did a system restore to before I tried to install pro tools and sonar was back to its best.
    This is not an Ilok problem because the Ilok drivers are only installed after the hardware driver is installed and the pro tools install hangs before that. The pro tools install hangs because win 7 64Bit kicks off a 32bit install (cause I selected compatibility mode) and a 64 bit install, because it’s a 64bit operating system. In some way A conflict occurs and the only way to get past this is to try again and again. The install seems to run a little further every time.  
    So my conclusion is that where it was possible to run both Pro Tools and Sonar 8.5 on one PC, with X1 this is no longer possible.
    The other thing is I would suggest that you don’t upgrade to X1 if you have 8.5 I would reload and install from scratch it definitely has worked for me and it works well.  
    The other option is don’t use an Mbox 2…..lol. Lets face it there are plenty of other Interfaces around.

For info I work in IT ad have 12years experience in software engineering , programming, support etc etc.

robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 12:46:16 (permalink)
    Just to clarify I am not saying you should not upgrade to X1, It has worked well for me. I am saying that if you are running 8.5 rather reload your machine and then install X1.
    JClosed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 13:49:51 (permalink)
    Wow - they got that Mbox2/Protools install really made difficult. I have to agree with you. I have installed Protools 8.0.2 (because the Mbox1 is not longer supported in the higher versions - talking about screwing your clients) on Windows 7 64 bit. I have installed X1 afterwards (it was a test partition), and 8.5 was never installed before.

The Mbox1 worked without any problem in Sonar X1 (although it is old hardware with a rather high latency). So - I guess they screwed things up after 8.0.2 (and/or the Mbox2 drivers). I do not read if you have done a "clean"  X1 install (without 8.5 first being installed on the system), and I do not own a Mbox2 to try out such a " clean" install. Did you have tried that too?
    VigilantSound
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 22:03:50 (permalink)
    Wait, i have Pro tools, sonar 8.5 and x1 all on the same machine and they all work fine?

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

VigilantSound
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/23 22:43:55 (permalink)
    also, im pretty sure pro tools 8 wont install on win7 pc, the installer will check whaqt version of windows you have, just like you ccant install PT9 on a xp or vista machine....

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/24 06:10:38 (permalink)
    Hi there
    @ Vigilant Sound.

Pro tools and 8.5 works together no problem ( in my update). its when you install X1 and Pro tools together that I received all the issues. I did some more work after the update, and the driver contained in the update, overwrites any driver on the machine as well as making literally hundreds of reg entries. If you un install pro tools all those entries are still there, I confirmed that. Problem with registry hacks is you cant distinguish between what the drivers putting in and what is placed there by Pro tools and what is put in by a software update of a different program which is Pro Tools compliant so to speak.

You can sit and delete them from the reg, but believe me there are thousands.

I am going to have to make a decision to use either Sonar, or pro tools, its point less trying to run them both. its sad but at this point Pro tools is the industry standard, although I think that Sonar X1 is probably a better product and alot more bang for your buck.

siris1977
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/26 16:10:45 (permalink)
    even if you have pt and X! on seperate dard drive?   or seperate partitions?

I was planing on getting protools in a couple weeks but i'm not giving up X1 just have protools.
    i'll get studio one before i do that.    or stay at pt8 or m-powered

VigilantSound
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/26 16:21:34 (permalink)
    Whats your os? Win7, im not seeing this issue here, like i said i have all three playing nicely...

Pro Tools 9.0.1 just came out buy the way, not that i think it will help your situation,

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

VigilantSound
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/26 16:25:10 (permalink)
    Are you sure your using the right mbox driver?
    What verson of PT are you using? 

Like i said before PT 8 is vista/xp only and PT 9 is win 7 only...

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

brooklynbowler
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/26 19:11:49 (permalink)
    Robynsky...

I posted a couple threads a few weeks ago about mbox2 problems with Sonar X1a and 8.5

TOTAL PAIN IN THE ASSH

To make a long story short....

I had a similar problem with soft synths and midi issues (some notes would go audibly missing)...but the marker freezing on the first bar is how all my problems started. Basically, my issue came down to a graphics setting for my non-standard laptop size monitor. How that influenced the midi, I have no idea, but it must have been related to the realtime drawing in the software. Also there was some USB issue where my touchpad was using a port that could have been conflicting with the mbox...prob not your case since you are using desktop.

Also i found that sorting reg entries in regedit by date modified/created made removal of digi files pretty easy...about 30mins.

Of note, I have no have PTLE8, Sonar 8.5, and Sonar X1 all working. The mbox2 was trashed and replaced with a Sonar UA1010, which has been awesome for mobile recording...even adapts to fit in my rack.

Dr Fad Protege
    VigilantSound
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/26 19:16:12 (permalink)
    You would be surprised how many audio issues are cause byvideo cards and settings, ...

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

VigilantSound
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/26 19:19:30 (permalink)
    Siris: Dont skip over PT just cause one or two people cant get it to work, i have 4 pc's at the moment and all have PT ans Sonar on them and they all work great, just make sure  you install it right, take your time, read the manuals and its should be fine...

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/27 03:37:10 (permalink)
    HI there

Will try the video settings. but I am in the process of reloading from scratch in any event. That worked well with my Laptop.

thanks again to all
    robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/30 06:19:22 (permalink)
    HI there

Everyone, tried the video thing and no -- problem persists -- removedall the entires from Reg, but problem persisits. I have reloaded and stayed away from Pro Tools on this install. Just installed X1A and it is a sweet as sweet can be.

I have a mac book Pro 4Gig Ram OSX 10.6.6 and and I have installed the Protools on there (32bit) and have decided that if I get a project again for whereI need touse Protools Iwill run it on the Mac.

I still stay with my original prognosis. keep Protools and X1 seperate
    ambolik
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/01/30 09:25:14 (permalink)
    also, im pretty sure pro tools 8 wont install on win7 pc, the installer will check whaqt version of windows you have, just like you ccant install PT9 on a xp or vista machine....

I have PT8 installed on Win7 x64....it was hard to install....but it works....
    But I have the same pb with X1 and the Mbox2: the playback cursor freezing after the first bars, while audio is still playing....
    robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/02/06 02:26:56 (permalink)
    OK just an update.

I have dont a complete re install from scratch, win 7 64 bit, then sonar, native instr etc etc. using my audiophile 2496 and the machine is running well. Have done 23 tracks last night with full inserts, virtual machine, dimension pro, rapture, Native's B4, battery, reaktor, etc.

machine and sonar running very well, no problems at all.

so I would say don’t upgrade 853 to X1. do a fresh install. a major pain in the butt, but this studio is now flying.

best week I have ever spend re installing having software de activated etc.

I kept the original install however I did the new install on a new separate drive, just in case I forgot to de activate software, or forgot to copy any programs I had setup.
    X1 is better than 853 at this point although its been a journey to get here.

thanks
    StarTekh
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2007
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/02/06 09:32:00 (permalink)

robynsky: goto motherboard home page-support.there you
    will find chipset/inf drivers for the motherboard/os and
    there should be some USB drivers there too. see you using
    usb 2 port..turn off your networkcard and 3.5 flopy if you
    have 1. jon
    robynsky
    Re:MBOX2 Problems With Sonar X1 2011/02/09 08:13:05 (permalink)
    Thanks I'll try that
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1