MC dosen't want to be a slave???

Author
Huey Driver
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2008/10/18 00:53:31 (permalink)

MC dosen't want to be a slave???

Hope I'm not repeating some one else's ??? but...

MC dosen't want to sync with my other hardware. Here's how I'm set up:

Boss BR-8 8-Track (MIDI OUT only) (set to MTC) -> EMU XMIDI 1x1 USB -> MC 2002 10.0.2 -> Boss DR-770 Dr. Rythm (set to thru) -> GR-33 Gtr Synth

Am using GR33 as just a sound module and haven't had any problems with running it just with MC. After I rearranged to the above configuration, MC just dosen't want to play when I hit play on the BR-8.

Hmmmm.... New to the recording/MIDI world would be an understatement so if you have any ideas don't feel bad about dumbing it up a little.

Computer prob?
Alienware Pent 4 3.4 GHz
1G RAM Win XP SP3

Any jokes or ideas would be too cool. Thanks from the new guy.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Can these synths (my GR-33) only play one patch at a time? ...and have to record it to the BR-8 one track at a time when I'm finished?

6 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: MC dosen't want to be a slave??? 2008/10/18 01:10:12 (permalink)
    Welcome Huey.
    MC, SHS, and Sonar must be the Master.
    Does the BR-8 have MIDI In available?
    I'm not familiar with the GR-33. Who makes that?
    Edit: should I be reading Huey Driver as UH-1 pilot?
    post edited by RobertB - 2008/10/18 01:16:08

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MC dosen't want to be a slave??? 2008/10/18 01:36:52 (permalink)
    Why don't you just use MC to record the tracks one at a time? New to MIDI, you sure got a lot of stuff already.
    Your Roland guitar synth looks like a pretty cool thing. I'm not sure how that would work with MC. If you find an Instrument Definition for the GR-33, you could upgrade to SONAR and have all it's patches available in SONAR.
    MC will play multiple patches to/from MIDI keyboards, MIDI modules, soft synths, but I don't know about a guitar synth.
    Edit: I just looked over at www.cakewalknet.com and there is a Roland GR-33 Instrument Definition available.
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2008/10/18 01:41:11

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: MC dosen't want to be a slave??? 2008/10/18 11:38:37 (permalink)
    If you are new to MIDI... it's a good idea to start at the beginning with some basics before you start asking MC to do the "other stuff".

So I recommend reading and working through tutorial #8 on midi & using TTS..a soft synth.... then for a clearer understanding..(hopefully).. check out my website www.herbhartley.com and navigate to the music pages dealing with MC4 and TTS... I show you how to insert a soft synth (TTS) into a new project and get it to produce music by playing 3 instruments at one time....

If you have other questions or problems....post again.

Start by setting up your rig: midi keyboard out.....into your midi soundcard. Be sure that MC4 sees the soundcard midi input and can record midi data to a track. Simple setup..... but it's the best way to start.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Huey Driver
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: MC dosen't want to be a slave??? 2008/10/18 17:35:00 (permalink)
    Thanks gents,

To answer y'alls comments:
    -No MIDI IN on the 8-Trk
    -Roland makes the GR-33 (they say that it makes a decent stand alone sound module which is what I'm using it for now)
    -Yes, I have some midi stuff but haven't really had them talking to each other much.
    -Don't have a MIDI keyboard, need MC to control the GR-33
    -And yes I am a UH-1 Pilot :)

So Robert you're saying that there is no way I can slave MC to my 8-Trk? The reason I wanted to that is I was told that my 8-Trk would have a better recording quality and I wanted to use MC as a sequencer/composition tool. Plus, the audio input on my comp. is a Realtek AC'97 (not made for digital recording?) and I figured (in my extensive experience) that might reduce the audio quality as well. Is this a wrong assumption?

Once again, thanks!
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: MC dosen't want to be a slave??? 2008/10/18 18:18:02 (permalink)
    Cool. I love the sound of a Huey..no mistaking it for anything else.
    I have been looking for a manual, to get an idea of what the function of the MIDI out is. No luck.
    Since it has no MIDI in, I am guessing that it is for transmitting control functions only.
    The 8-track does not necessarily have better recording quality, however, such a device is excellent for remote recording that you want to bring back to your studio. That's not to say it isn't good, it does record in 24 bit.
    The idea of using MC as a sequencer/compositon tool is spot on.
    What you ultimately want to do, if I understand correctly, is get your MIDI tracks into MC, feed the MIDI back to your external sound modules (The Dr-770 and the GR-33),and record their outputs as audio.
    I am a bit curious about the AC97. Alienware is known for mid-high end gaming machines, and it seems odd that they would ship a machine with the AC97 only. Is this a laptop, or a desktop PC?
    The AC97 chips are ok for playback or recording, but usually not both at the same time. This makes it a weak link, and we will probably suggest a better sound card/ interface.
    Do you have a full manual on the BR-8 in PDF format that you could send me?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MC dosen't want to be a slave??? 2008/10/19 00:34:53 (permalink)
    I'm afraid with MC, the only sounds you can really access are the General MIDI (GM) sounds if they are resident in the -33. You can use it's sounds, however, by choosing on the -33 which sound you want to hear and selecting no patch on an MC MIDI track and selecting the MIDI output to the GR. That way, the MIDI data will be played by the Roland with the sound it's set to play, and output that back into MC on an audio track.
    If you had a SONAR program, which allows importation of Instrument Definitions (MC does not), you can download the ID for the GR and have all it's banks and patches available in SONAR, so you select them in SONAR and the GR-33 will play them.
    But a better sound interface would be advisable for best audio production.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1