MC2 -vs- MC3

Author
Locutus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2007/02/09 15:01:52 (permalink)

MC2 -vs- MC3

A few months ago, I bought MC2 from Fry's Electronics. I was not aware that MC3 was the current version. Anyway... I haven't been able to locate info on what's better about MC3 than MC2. Can anyone provide any links describing "What's new in MC3", or does anyone have any comments on whether MC2 should be abandoned and MC3 purchased? Right now, MC2 seems to be very cool... but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing...

9 Replies Related Threads

pantherhawk27263
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: MC2 -vs- MC3 2007/02/09 22:28:23 (permalink)
    I'd have to find my MC2 stuff for comparison, but one major reason I upgraded to MC3 was it has a VST adaptor included. After seeing all the VST plug-ins out there, especially in comparison to the number of DX plug-ins, I wanted to be able to use VSTs. MC3 also has more built in effects than my earlier MC had.

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    dave sitting at home
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: MC2 -vs- MC3 2007/02/10 10:03:40 (permalink)
    I have MC2 and love it. Don't know a lot about MC3. What I do know is MC2 has session drummer and supports surface controllers, MC3 doesn't. I dont' use VST's so not an issue with me.
    pantherhawk27263
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: MC2 -vs- MC3 2007/02/10 19:27:30 (permalink)
    I still have Session Drummer because I upgraded to MC3 and it migrated over. I haven't tried using surface controllers, but I saw that in my MC3 folders as well. However, if you are happy with your current version of MC then rock on!

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    Boogie
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2106
    RE: MC2 -vs- MC3 2007/02/10 21:30:57 (permalink)

Greek2Me
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: MC2 -vs- MC3 2007/02/13 23:11:58 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, I've used MC2 for a couple of years and LOVED it! MC3 may have more features for the very advanced among us, but if you already have MC2 it will take you a while just to explore all the features it includes. Unless you're already very knowledgable, I can't see any pressing need to go to the latest release. Move up when you're ready.

RMc
    fanzzz
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: MC2 -vs- MC3 2007/02/13 23:16:48 (permalink)
    Maybe I could upgrade sometime to MC3 or say Home studio something or another. That wouldn't cost that much more.

And yes Rmc, most of us don't know half the functions and capabilities of even MC2. It's really not bad software.

It does however have it's limitations. The more you use it, the more you'll find.

One example was me using a lot of effects on a song I did called-Pizza Hut Sucks. It basically maxed out and so I had to pick and choose. Maybe you can use all the effects you want in MC3 or Sonar Home Studio or whatever..

Nice pic btw. I think I know where you got it from. :) With the background, it looks pretty snazzy.
    switchdoc
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: MC2 -vs- MC3 2007/02/14 00:43:07 (permalink)
    Is it bad if I don't know what 95 percent of the nouns used in these posts mean?

Perhaps someone could define the following:

VST
    DX-Plugin
    Session Drummer
    Surface Controller

Fanzzz,

Why the beef with Pizzahut? I've always found their pan pizzas quite tasty. :)

The more I read these forums, the more my head hurts.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: MC2 -vs- MC3 2007/02/14 08:28:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fanzzz

Maybe I could upgrade sometime to MC3 or say Home studio something or another. That wouldn't cost that much more.

And yes Rmc, most of us don't know half the functions and capabilities of even MC2. It's really not bad software.

It does however have it's limitations. The more you use it, the more you'll find.

One example was me using a lot of effects on a song I did called-Pizza Hut Sucks. It basically maxed out and so I had to pick and choose. Maybe you can use all the effects you want in MC3 or Sonar Home Studio or whatever..

Nice pic btw. I think I know where you got it from. :) With the background, it looks pretty snazzy.

SHS6 is coming out at the end of this month! It's going to be....WOW! And the upgrade path is really reasonable for all you get with it! It even comes with Garritan Pocket Orchestra! And Dimension Pro LE! I can't wait!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: MC2 -vs- MC3 2007/02/14 08:34:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: switchdoc

Is it bad if I don't know what 95 percent of the nouns used in these posts mean?

Perhaps someone could define the following:

VST

Virtual Studio Technology - developed by Steinberg (Cubase). MC3 uses a VST Wrapper to translate the plugins to DX

DX-Plugin

Direct X - developed by Micro$oft - a developers platform for programers to use with MS products

Session Drummer

Doesn't come with MC3, but if you have MC2 and you buy MC3 it doesn't go away, the beauty of Cakewalk products - you get to keep all the plugins from previous releases. Session Drummer is basically a MIDI sequencer that allows you to enter MIDI drum sequences into a MIDI track by picking and choosing the types you want from a descriptive window.

Surface Controller

a piece of hardware that connects to your comptuer which allows you to move sliders, turn knobs etc in MC from the hardware. YOu move a slider on the surface controller and the slider you have assigned to it in MC will move.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1