MC4: Not recognising drum maps....

Author
AxlBrutality
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
2010/11/30 15:34:43 (permalink)

MC4: Not recognising drum maps....

So I just reinstalled MC4 after my computer crashed, since I'm too lazy to go out and buy MC5 or Sonar yet :P

For some reason, it's not recognising drum maps.  I double checked to make sure it was being pointed to the correct folder, and it is, but the output dropdown menu on the MIDI track isn't giving me access to any of the preset drum maps, including the GM kits.  All it does is give me my stock MIDI device and the option to create a new drum map.  Now, it's been a few months since I've used MC4, but shouldn't I be able to directly access, for example, the GM drum maps from the MIDI track's output dropdown menu?

This is kind of irritating, since I'm trying to write and record an album and I use the GM kits and the piano roll view to map out the drums (I use sound replacement later, but yea.)  I can't stand most drum machine synths and it's just easier for me to map out exactly what I want this way.  But MC4 is being slightly ****ed (or I am) and can't figure out how to access drum maps that should be preexisting.  Like I said, I made sure in the Global>Folders options that I was pointing it to the right folder (Documents and settings>Application Data>Cakewalk>Music Creator 4>Drum Maps....and yes, I looked in the drum maps folder and they are indeed there; it's not like it's empty or anything).

So, uh, help? Lol.  Much appreciated guys :)

11 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/11/30 15:41:05 (permalink)
    Are you using channel 10?
    Or, have you gone to Options>Instruments and chosen other channels for GM Drums?
    Do you have the Drum Map Manager?

Edit: Options>Instruments, not Options>MIDI Devices. 
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2010/11/30 15:45:13

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    AxlBrutality
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/11/30 15:55:02 (permalink)
    Okay, I didn't have the Channel set to anything.  Do I need to set it to something?  I don't remember.

2) Under "Instruments", all the channels are just set to <default>.  Do I need to change that?

3) Yes, I have the Drum Map Manager.  In fact, other than "Microsoft GS Wavetable", that's my only option in the Output dropdown menu.  But of course there are no presets there, and I've never had to build my own drum map.  I've always been able to just use the GM drums; I've never had this problem of not being able to access them.

It might be something stupid; like I said, I haven't used it in a while.

Edit: After some messing around, here's what I have.  under assign instruments, I made output Channel 10 > General MIDI Drums.  I then went back into the Drum Map manager, and all of a sudden, there's a drum map there (DM-1) with the GM Drums (Complete Kit), which is what I need.  I did, however, have to go in and manually change every note to output channel 10.  And I still don't have all the options I should on the track's output dropdown menu, it now just has Microsoft Wavetable, DM-1, and New Drum Map.  No options to go straight to GM complete kit, or the basic kit, or any of the other preset synths options I remember having direct access to from that dropdown menu.  Lol.  So, I basically have what I want, but in a roundabout way of doing it, and I'm not sure if I have to go through this every time I start a new project.

I don't remember having to do anything the last time, it was just already there off the menu.  Lol.

I hope I'm making sense.  At all.  Lol.

post edited by AxlBrutality - 2010/11/30 18:56:41
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/11/30 21:08:09 (permalink)
    In the General MIDI Standard, channel 10 is reserved for drums, but by using the Assign Instruments function, you can set other channels to play GM Drums, as you discovered.
    I don't know why all your options aren't available.
    Maybe another reload is called for?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    AxlBrutality
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/12/10 01:05:13 (permalink)
    Perhaps, because I have the same problem now every time I start a new project, and am having to figure out what the hell I did the last time around to get it to recognise the GM drum maps.

Edit:  Reinstalled MC4 to no avail.  Still, the only options I have under the MIDI track Output dropdown menu are "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth" and "drum map manager".  Also, if I go into the drum map manager, there is nothing there, no default drum set or anything.  Double checked the folders again, and Cakewalk is definitely pointing to the right folder for drum maps.  Channel 10 is dedicated to General MIDI Drums under "Instruments" in Project menu.   Basically, everything is as it should be :/   
    post edited by AxlBrutality - 2010/12/10 03:06:07
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/12/10 07:47:46 (permalink)
    Note To Self: write down the instructions on how to find the drum maps.

Those drum maps are in there somewhere, it's not a faulty install. They hid them according to the Pirate's Code which means, they are well hidden. Actually, I searched and searched for them as well, and it was only after Janet showed me where they were, that I was actually able to find them.

I didn't like the cryptic nature of the files so needless to say, I didn't use them , and now, I couldn't find them quickly if I wanted to. I do remember it has something to do with using PRV.

I personally love MC4 and use it for everything I record.  I have MC5, and I recommend it, if for no other reason than to get the Sound Center Synths ( but buy the BOXed version not the DL)

Session Drummer2 is STILL ON SALE FOR ONLY $9.99... yeah a measly TEN BUCKS....  here>  http://www.store.cakewalk...ory.aspx?categoryID=39

So go and get it while it lasts at that price. Regular price is $80 so don't wait..... I think you'll find it's a bit easier (probably a whole big bunch easier) to use than using drum mapping in MC4.

Plus, it sounds better than midi.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AxlBrutality
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/12/10 16:01:17 (permalink)
    Finding the drum maps is easy enough.  I know they are there; I've checked them myself.  But for some reason MC4 isn't seeing them or making them available as options as it should.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/12/10 17:50:53 (permalink)
    Are you sure you are working in the right MODE? I don't work with them, but aren't they midi..... which means if you are working with audio tracks selected.......or trying to put then into audio tracks, they will show up as NOT AVAILABLE ...same deal when working with midi tracks selected and trying to add something audio related.

Double check that small item as well.

BMI/NSAI

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/12/10 22:59:15 (permalink)
    Channel 10 is reserved for drums, but that in itself will not pull up the GM drum map.
    It's the Patch and Bank that do it.
    Make sure you have the Bank set to 15360-Preset Rhythm.
    If you set your patch to Standard Set, you will get the full GM set. When you open the PRV, your drums/percussion should be automatically mapped and labeled.
    Other patches may show some variation (I'm not positive on that)
    Use the PRV from the tool bar, not the one from the Track view(may not be available in MC4).
    They aren't the same.
    You might want to try using TTS-1 instead of the MS Wavetable Synth.
    It's got a bit more under the hood.
    post edited by RobertB - 2010/12/10 23:03:26

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Guitarhacker
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/12/11 12:02:24 (permalink)
    my website also has a page on it MUSIC & RECORDING> MC4/5 that goes into setting up the drums in TTS.

Here

hope that helps.

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/12/12 02:23:14 (permalink)
    I fear some folks get Drum Maps confused with a drum synth. Actually all drum maps are is a set of instructions that tell a midi drum track where to find the proper drum sound inside a particular synth. For instance if you have a synth like TTS it is GM mapped so a drum map pointing to gm placement will work. If you attach some Yamaha synths, the work of there own mapping and some times start at 0 rather than 1 so the drums will be off one

The best approach to drum making has very little to do with drum maps, most often the program comes setup for GM mapping. Just enter drum hits using the piano roll or the notation screen and route that to a synth inserted in the synth rack and all is good. Or as Herb said purchase a good drum synth like session drummer and work it out there.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    Re:MC4: Not recognising drum maps.... 2010/12/12 15:00:03 (permalink)
    Most of the synths are already mapped...  so I simply use what is there. To me, mapping sounds too much like programming....

BMI/NSAI

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1