MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please.

Author
lostandconfused
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
2010/07/23 05:29:54 (permalink)

MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please.

Hello,

I couldn't find the demonstration files as described in the MC5 manual.  Found and downloaded them from this site but I am still unable to open them.  Advice anyone?

Thanks,

Vincent.

29 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/23 08:08:17 (permalink)
    In the digital studio, there are two kinds of tracks...Midi and Audio. Audio will play straight up with nothing extra needed.... Midi is data and it requires some sort of synth to make it into audible music.

most of the demo files are MIDI ....which means you have to INSERT a soft synth to get them to play.  Go to my web site and look at the music creator page on inserting TTS.

Once you get the hang of inserting and working with synths it's pretty easy. Most of what I do now days requires synths. When I first came up against them I was a bit intimidated, but after a few days of working with them, finding out it's just a matter of setting them up properly, now it's no big deal.  I can open a new project, insert the synth, and have midi music in a matter of less than a minute.... including the time for the synth & sample library to load.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/23 08:11:43

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/23 09:20:29 (permalink)
    Hi Herb,

Thanks.  Just printed off your 'Tips' page.  In a previous response I asked 'was the site psychic?'.  This morning I'd just found the 'staff view' but it remained silent after I'd inserted some notes and I was, as usual, confused [and defeated].  I then submit a different question and discover [through your tips page] the possible answer to an unasked question.  Spooky. 

I've just had another go at opening the demo file.  I can see it the files to the bottom right of my screen and it highlights in blue when clicked on but does not open.  However, I have just noticed that while other files are just plain, yellow 'folder symbols',  the demo file has some black maks down the left side [perhaps zipper-like].  Some kind of lock perhaps?

I'm sure I saw that some others had had trouble locating these files but I have not noticed any who can't open them at all.

Got to nip out now.  I'll attempt your 'staff view' tips when I get back.

Regards,

Vincent.

Guitarhacker
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/23 14:39:35 (permalink)
    It's been a really, really long time since I opened any of the demo files..... but I think they open just like a regular song file..... double click tham and they should open right up and display the tracks in the project. To get sound, you will need to insert TTS and assign the tracks to the synth as per my tips.... put the drum tracks to synth channel 10 and you should be fine.

BMI/NSAI

Cenobite
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/23 17:08:55 (permalink)
    I maybe can help but I am new myself. You have to first go to file and new, create a new project file and name it, then I use Blank (no tracks or buses)
    Then go again to file, open and find the tutorials. Then double click the tutorial file you want  and it will open and play. They do have a black corner. As for opening up the audio and midi files you have to do the same basically and create a new project.
    Whether that is the correct way to do it I am not sure. but it works for me.
    post edited by Cenobite - 2010/07/23 17:13:26
    lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/24 05:04:46 (permalink)
    Hello Cenobite,

Nope!  Tried as you suggested but still nothing.  I then redownloaded eveything from the net but this time instead of clicking 'save file' I clicked on 'open file'.  Whatever difference this made when I then 'extracted' them to my sub files in 'My Documents'.  When previously 'clicked on' these files just highlighted in blue and nothing happened, however, now they produce a sub folder, x-mix vol 1, 2, 3, 4.  Unfortunately I still get no response beynd this. 

I'm going to try again relocating the files to see if it's 'just me'.

Regards,

Vincent.

lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/24 05:37:12 (permalink)
    OK.  I don't know what has happened but now I've got some sample audio files that open and play.  However, if I click on 'tutorial' it's still no response. 

Have I misunderstood the term, 'tutorial'?  I was expecting something along the lines of, "Here is a sample mix of 2/3 instuments and this is how we did it........"

Regards,

Vincent.
    Cenobite
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/24 06:53:41 (permalink)
    Read the manual or the help file with the tutorials. There is not any speaking it just loads files. There are some online ones though to watch. It will load a song and you can go mess with the mixing and such.
    post edited by Cenobite - 2010/07/24 06:54:52
    lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/24 07:52:23 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks for clarifying that.  I can stop looking.

Back to the grindstone then.

Cheers,

Vincent.

splinx
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/24 09:02:08 (permalink)
    Hi again

Sometimes a new application ends up with one of its paths pointing in the wrong direction or to the wrong place, so you can't see or find the file that you're expecting to be there.

Occasionally this occurs because users are eager to get to work, and either skip over steps, flub steps, or try to do it on their own withour reading the instructions at all. Been there, done that in all three cases.

Let's see if we can untangle this simply.

When I start MC5, a Quickstart screen appears with 5 choices.

It might pay to look at the one titled "Getting Started," because it contains a pretty thorough overview of basic concepts with the ap. (For the guy on the other thread wanting to make Loops, it's one of the early concepts discussed)

Also on the Quickstart screen is a choice labled Online Videos & More. If you dig into that, you'll find a list of topics of MC5 fundamentals that are covered in several tutorials, along with instructions for getting the files unzipped into the right folders

But let's do this quickly.

Another choice on the Quickstart page is Open Recent Project. If anything is listed there, open it up and have a look. Once you get MC5 initialized properly, this is where your current project will be accessed.

Finally, as Cenobite noted, you can start a new project. Instead of starting with Blank however, I suggest opening the project called Normal - not usually my first choice, but in this case, it's what you probably want.

Opening the Normal template from the Quickstart page produces a project with two Audio and two MIDI tracks ready to go.

From this point forward, the project becomes your own.

Over at the far left, under the menu bar, click the grey '+' button, and then 'instrument track' and then 'Cakewalk Sound center' when they appear on the little flyouts.

Now, you've added an instrument track with the SoundCenter loaded, and its interface pops up with the default instrument already assigned. Fool around in there, and pick a guitar or something, and take note of the various controls. Turn the volume up near max

You haven't added any MIDI data yet, so open Piano View or Staff View as you prefer, and enter a couple notes for all of the MIDI channels to make sure you're getting sound from each.  

At some point right about here, once everything seems to be working, you'll want to save this basic setup as your own start-up template, and then save under a new name once your song begins taking shape.

Doubleclick on the track icon to access an instrument's interface and adjust parameters and/or select a different instrument.
    lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/25 07:07:10 (permalink)
    Hi,

I have managed to relocate [by redownloading] the download MC5 demos from where the computer placed them into MC5 Sample Content and some of them now open and play. 

However, these are single track samples with 1, 2 or 3 instruments mixed together.  I have printed out the Tutorial 7 documents but nowhere can I locate any file named MixingTutorial. cwp. or a MC Demo Project which opens up as a multi-track piece.   From MC5's tutorial 7 and comments on this site it is my understanding that a multi-track demo sample should be available containing "Cymbals Left & Symbols Right" and several other tracks with which users are encouraged to practice 'tweaking' of volume & pan, adding effects etc.  Page 1 of volume & pan tells the reader that the project sounds 'muddy' and 'bland'  which, presumably, after following the lessons in 'tweaking' will be much improved and give the reader insight into 'tweaking' thier own projects.  Unfortuneatly, I can't find them in MC5  and my computer is telling me they don't exist.

I've had a quick look at the 'Online videos' as suggested and I'll go back and do a more extensive search to locate the guidelines on unzipping files.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vincent.

lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/25 08:06:46 (permalink)
    Hold the Front Page!

I've just found the two missing demos [4 track and 8/10 track] on the 'net' and I've saved a copy of them to my cakewalk projects [I think].  Only taken 7 hours.

Cheers,

Vincent.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/25 08:40:17 (permalink)
    Later today I will open the DAW and play around...I will open MC5 and see if I can find the demos. If I can, I will see if I can send you a few of them. IIRC MC4 has a bunch of demo's in it that are all midi.

BMI/NSAI

lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/26 11:49:00 (permalink)
    Hi Herb,

Thanks.  Gary is coming tonight to replace my soundcard.  You were correct in anticipating that my Realtec wouldn't cope.  It was OK playing simple loops and melody(?) lines from my keyboard but with a synth it cut out within minutes and I was only doodling. 

Cheers,

Vincent.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/26 11:54:37 (permalink)
    is it a desk top...."replace the soundcard"?   A lappy makes that about impossible so we mostly use external interfaces to "upgrade the cards".

BMI/NSAI

lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/30 05:27:37 (permalink)
    Hi Herb,

No, my computer is the standard desktop  'tower' type.  But your question clears up an issue for me and I see that an 'external' is what I need to look for when I can go for a new piece of eqipment. 

Regards,

Vincent.

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/30 11:49:24 (permalink)
    Yeah, Vincent, they really make connection simple.
    Plug it in, load any related software (read the instructions first: some want you to load the software before connecting), go to their website and download and install any driver and software updates, set a few things in MC, like changing the Driver Mode, and you'll be recording with it in no time at all.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/30 13:04:40 (permalink)
    Hi Greg,

Yes, much as it hurts, it looks like spending can't be avoided as I also need to acquire some headphones so that I can twiddle without disturbing others [I had a peek at your site and, while I'm not qualified to comment on the content, like Herb's, it made me feel somewhat humble, and it's possible you've forgotten how infuriating someone repeatedly murdering the same four notes can be - I annoy myself never mind disturbing my neighbour {it being established already that I am 'disturbed'}]. 

Financially, things are very 'tight' at the moment and when I said that I had not had any money since 1967 it was obviously a gross exageration. 

I didn't get married until 1969.

I'll work on it and sort something out - but it may take a while and it will be 'low end' stuff.

Regards,

Vincent.
    57Gregy
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/07/30 14:33:16 (permalink)
    Financially, things are very 'tight' at the moment and when I said that I had not had any money since 1967 it was obviously a gross exageration. I didn't get married until 1969.

As splinx wrote, you can use the stock sound card with MC, but when using a lot of soft synths and effects, especially in real time, things could get bogged down.
    Doing it the way you have been, with the keyboard making the sound is okay. I still work that way; I just add soft synths and effects after recording my MIDI tracks. My Yamaha makes all my MIDI sounds until everything is recorded. I almost never use soft synths or effects in real time, even with my fast computer and efficient audio interface. That's just the way I work.
    So don't be going hungry because you got a Fast Track... 

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/04 03:11:37 (permalink)
    It's OK,  Greg, there's not much chance of me going hungry because of Gear Aquisition Syndrome.  If it's a straight choice between cheescake or computer gear it'll be cheescake every time.

I hadn't thought about only using the keyboard, perhaps I had been 'blinded' by my new toy.

Regards,

Vincent.
    splinx
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/05 09:25:31 (permalink)
    Hey Vincent,
    Congratulations on 40+ years of wedded bliss. Time to hand your wife a mic'...

We need to be recording engineers too, and as Greg notes, reducing the load on your system during critical segments may be one way to go, although being a mouser, I can't add any 1st hand experience.

Nevetheless, it seems that by breaking up song recording into smaller pieces, or modules, you may be able to work around some of the latency isues by reducing the load on your system.

As others have suggested, as soon as a midi track is working - or even while it's still a scratch track or under development, bounce it out to audio.

MIDI itself is quite simple, but apparently the latency issues arise when the OS goes to convert the MIDI into an audio signal for output. It is well known that Windows does a lot of behind-the-scences thunking and other machinations that take up a lot of processor cycles. Apparently, the better soundcards remove the MIDI-to-audio conversion process from the Windows domain, and the latency goes away.

There are many ways to skin this cat by reducing the load on your system and breaking up things into penny packets.

And so a general question for the forum and all the helpful lads and lasses: what is the result with an on-board soundcard when ONLY the midi keyboard is plugged in AND when no other audio or MIDI tracks/channels are active?

Guitarhacker
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/05 12:52:12 (permalink)
    one way to reduce the latency and the resource load that causes it.... is to bounce the midi tracks using synths, to audio. You can freeze the track or even remove the synth.... and it's OK to leave the midi source track since it doesn't use any resources .  Make notes if you remove the synth so you can recreate it if you need to later.

The process of bouncing does not happen in real time so latency is not an issue in the bounce, and the audio will play just fine without latency afterward. 

Most factory cards will deal pretty well with a number of audio tracks OK..... you will need to experiment on your system to see just how many it will handle.

An external card or interface running ASIO will allow you to run a ton of tracks in audio w/o problems. Even older, slower computer can deal with that.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/07 11:54:53 (permalink)
    And so a general question for the forum and all the helpful lads and lasses: what is the result with an on-board soundcard when ONLY the midi keyboard is plugged in AND when no other audio or MIDI tracks/channels are active?

Well, on my system, I can run 16 MIDI channels through the keyboard's synthesizer with zero CPU usage and zero memory usage.
    The audio interface in this case is just a MIDI conduit between Cakewalk and the keyboard; it really doesn't do anything.
    I run the audio output of my interface and the audio output of my keyboard through a Yamaha mixer which is connected to my stereo system, so audio tracks in a project and noise from the keyboard can all be heard.

Greg 

lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/07 13:08:04 (permalink)
    Thanks splinx,

40 years! Where did they go eh? Well at least I know I'm happily married because my wife tells me I am.

When you say you are a 'mouser' are you using piano roll and/or staff view?  If you use the staff and put a chord line[?] in does it sound OK to you?  When I've done it in piano roll it sounds fine but when I've tried to write the same chord in staff it sounds a bit off.  Or is that just me?

Regards,

Vincent.
    57Gregy
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/07 13:17:22 (permalink)
    Hi, Vincent.
    If you don't enter sharps and flats in the staff, it will play the natural, but in the PRV you can see what notes those are because of the piano keyboard.
    So if you write a D major chord in the PRV, you can see that you put in a D, an F# and an A, but in the staff there is no F#; you have to click in an F, then right-click that note to change it's pitch to F#.
    Or you can enter a Key Signature and presumably it will enter an F# automatically if you choose D as the key.

Greg 

splinx
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/08 23:47:21 (permalink)
    Yes, I simply enter notes with the mouse in piano roll, and then move them around a few hundred times or so until they begin to sound better.

57Gregy
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/08 23:59:39 (permalink)
    splinx

Yes, I simply enter notes with the mouse in piano roll, and then move them around a few hundred times or so until they begin to sound better.

Greg 

lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/10 13:30:24 (permalink)

Hi All,

Your response made me smile as well, splinx. 

I didn't know that Greg, I'l try it and also have another go at the piano roll then.  I just

find that while the staff lines are 'clearly defined' that 'floating magnifier' in piano roll is

slightly disorientating. 

Regards,

Vincent.
    57Gregy
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/12 11:25:01 (permalink)
    'floating magnifier' in piano roll is slightly disorientating.

We don't have the same program, but I'm sure you can turn that off by clicking the zoom tool button. If it's on, it will be lit up.
    Then select either the brush tool of pencil tool to draw in your notes.
    Oh, and if you enter a key signature (at the top>Insert>Meter/Key Change>select key or Views>Meter/Key) it will place the correct notes for you, as I thought it would, but I don't know keys and record from the keyboard most of the time, so mine is always set at 'C'.

Greg 

lostandconfused
    Re:MC5 demo files not playing. Advice please. 2010/08/17 08:28:01 (permalink)
    Cheers Greg,

I've had a lot of trouble as I must have 'clicked on' something that I shouldn't have and things went a bit askew.  However, after much fruitless re-reading of the manual [and lots more 'random' clicking I [we] have managed to create a slightly larger piano roll view that I can now see comfortably.

Regards,

Vincent.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1