Helpful ReplyMC7 for classical styles?

Author
geobeck
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2017/04/18 03:01:53 (permalink)

MC7 for classical styles?

I'm looking for a music program to arrange classical/baroque music, and I'm wondering if MC7 will be suitable. So far, it's the only program I've seen for a reasonable price that features tempo changes within a song. (I've spent most of the long weekend evaluating free/demo programs and discarding every one of them.) I need something that's suitable for music with lots of expression, including subtle tempo changes within individual bars (possibly using a wave form).

Does anyone here use MC7 for classical music? How has your experience been? 
Corrrie
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: MC7 for classical styles? 2017/04/18 14:49:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby geobeck 2017/04/19 21:08:47
I truly believe that you can. You can create any type of music with MC7. I use the MIDI function each and every time as MC7 has awesome midi editing capabilities. I then play the midi file to an external sound source and record the sound back into the same session as a wave file. Results is better if you record each track on its own. From my experience, I will definitely recommend MC7. It will work, and will work good. And yes, You can change the tempo anywhere you like to whatever you want.
geobeck
Re: MC7 for classical styles? 2017/04/28 18:30:18 (permalink)
I think I'm going to put this program on the shelf for a while. After losing another track when the program crashed because I hit Save, I've had enough re-recording, re-editing, and re-configuring this program. I regret the money I spent on this headache.
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: MC7 for classical styles? 2017/04/29 13:43:51 (permalink)
Welcome to the forum.
This forum is here to help folks with MC. Crashes are almost always due to bad drivers.
What operating system are you using? Is it 32- or 64-bit? How much memory does the computer have?
What sound card or audio interface are you using? If you are using software synthesizers, what are they? If you're using and external keyboard or MIDI sound module with USB, what is it?
What are your settings under Preferences>Audio, particularly the Driver Mode?

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
geobeck
Re: MC7 for classical styles? 2017/04/29 14:40:36 (permalink)
I'm using the same system I used under six freeware DAW's before I decided to try MC7 because it has more features. None of them experienced this problem. 

- Windows 10, 64 bit
 - 8 GB RAM
 - ASUS Laptop with built-in Realtek audio chip, using default drivers which are up to date
 - Mainly built-in MC7 software synths, but a couple of VST2 and VST3 synths including several pianos from 4Point, IxoxFlute, mdaPiano
 - My MIDI interface is a Roland UM-ONE connected to a Roland F-120 digital piano

Thanks for offering to help despite my rant. I'm trying out Reaper right now, but I would like to make MC7 work, having paid for it.
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: MC7 for classical styles? 2017/05/04 12:40:14 (permalink)
geobeck - which driver mode are you running the realtek audio chip in?  WASAPI is the best available for Win10, but doesn't always work with onboard chip drivers.  if that doesn't work, use MME.  it's the very basic driver mode and will usually work with onboard sound cards.

another issue could be one of the VST or VSTis you're using.  there's no guaranteed stability between the DAW and the plugins.  some of those instruments you mentioned I believe are freebies (mdaPiano?) and freebie plugins I've always had concerns with.  I've had some of them that really screw things up and I only use a couple of trusted free ones now.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: MC7 for classical styles? 2017/05/05 14:29:18 (permalink)
Yes... what they have said is true.  Crashes are mostly caused by driver issues.   Any time I see someone using an on board audio chip and trying to get it to work it makes my skin crawl. ( in a figurative sense)

I have no doubt that if you used a decent external interface and ran the ASIO driver, your experience would be totally different and better.  When you have the right driver, running the right hardware, Music Creator is a joy to run. I've been a user of Cake products for many years.... and they all run rock solid with the right setup.

You can't compare a freeware DAW to MC7... that is apples to oranges. Not even close.

So here's my recommendation for you to try.

Go to your local music store like Sam Ash or Guitar Center. I think they both have at least a 30 day no questions asked 100% refund policy on musical gear.  Buy a Focusrite 2i2 or a Presonus, or a M-Audio USB interface. If the F-120 uses 5 pin midi, be sure the interface supports 5 pin input. If the F-120 uses USB, just get an audio only interface.  Take the time to install the interface and do a setup. See if that solves your problems. I'm betting it will.

Worst case, it doesn't and you return the interface to the store for a refund.

edit to add:  ditto on Beagle's advice on "free plug ins".  Many of them are not written properly and will mess up your DAW.  In addition, you said you're running a 64 bit OS. Be sure your DAW is the 64 bit version as well as ALL of the plugins. If one plug in is a 32 bit plug, it will mess things up.  Once you get your system running smoothly, you can try J-Bridge to run 32 bit plugs on a 64 bit system. But.... start at the beginning with the new interface. Get the system running first, then add things one at a time and test each one before adding something else.

I run a totally 32 bit system and DAW. It runs rock solid. There are plugs I have installed that I had to remove because they either didn't work at all, or they messed up the solid functionality of my DAW. Just a heads up that some of the free stuff could be at least part of the problem.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1