MIDI 10 key pad?

Author
ricstudioc
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 670
2009/03/17 23:25:25 (permalink)

MIDI 10 key pad?

Howdy -

I'm in need of more direct access to programs on a synth of mine (little too much knob turning) - does anyone know if anybody's making a 10-key pad that would send MIDI prog changes? Or of a DIY (gulp!) project along those lines?

Thanks,

Ric

3 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: MIDI 10 key pad? 2009/03/18 00:08:10 (permalink)
    depends what you want.. you could always consider a foot controller OR getting something like say a drum pad or one of them nano things and get a thing to send macros to it.e.g. change bank.

what synth is it, maybe you can send it the commands via midi / sysex to change the patch?

ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: MIDI 10 key pad? 2009/03/18 00:37:32 (permalink)
    It's an Alesis Ion - patch changes occur either by A) choosing a bank then scrolling to a program number, or B) assigning up to 4 patches to a setup, then being able to activate/mute patches within the setup. The last one's not too bad, except A (again)) you have to go into a menu to call up a new setup and B) the mute/unmute buttons don't toggle each other - you have to turn one on, then the other on off. Kinda awkward.

I DO have a Rolls MidiWizard gathering dust in a closet, could use it I suppose - but I'm really looking for something to reach out to by hand, and doing that with the Rolls would be a little like playing whack-a-mole.

Actually, after my first post I did a little more searching around - came across an outfit that sells keyboard scanner boards and such, they have a 10 key pad that they said could be adapted to send Prog changes (with the correct boards/mods/programming). Might look into that - but if you know of anything off-the-shelf I'd be interested..

Thanks!!

Ric
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: MIDI 10 key pad? 2009/03/18 00:53:15 (permalink)
    have you also joined the alesis ion yahoo group? I seen it mentioned elsewhere.. maybe there is good info you could use there.

thinking about it a bit more... if I owned one.. and was using it in the studio environment I'd do 2 things.. see if I could get a list of the patch / bank numbers.. and make an instrument definition..

and get something like a perhaps a nocturn, but using the virtual midi port on that although i'm not 100% sure if you could use it for real synths as I haven't looked into that, but might be worth looking into as they aren't overly expensive. if you wanted to do the dial turning away from the keyboard and had a master keyboard.. it only has 8 dials, BUT pages of CC's that you could setup.. if you wanted. so it's far more.

post edited by Fog - 2009/03/18 00:59:56
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1