MIDI Basics Please

Author
thundercage
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2014/08/30 12:26:46 (permalink)

MIDI Basics Please

Hello, I'm using X3 Producer and I have always done strictly audio recording in the past. If all I want to do is create MIDI tracks for drums and synth, what equipment do I need? Or can I do what I need with X3? I currently have an on board sound card but not sure what I need. I know very little about MIDI any good books out there? Any suggestions would help.

6 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: MIDI Basics Please 2014/08/30 12:32:02 (permalink)
    To create such a thing as a midi drum track you can use the PRV which does not require any form of midi controller.  

I personally would recommend that you get a different Audio interface than your on board one as they tend to be troublesome and not really designed for audio recording or use within such a software product as SONAR.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: MIDI Basics Please 2014/08/30 12:55:27 (permalink)
    Tutorial #4 is a good place to start http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X3&language=3&help=Tutorial4.1.html

Couple of videos using Session Drummer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x-7sMawGaQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAnAPR6-hQ

A MIDI keyboard will probably be in your future if you continue with MIDI.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: MIDI Basics Please 2014/08/30 13:21:53 (permalink)
    thundercage
    I know very little about MIDI any good books out there? Any suggestions would help.

MIDI for Musicians, which I wrote, is the best-selling book on MIDI. On Amazon one guy (who didn't read it!) gave it a two-star review because it was written in 1986. However, the MIDI spec remains on Version 1.0, and while there have been various enhancements, the basic principles haven't changed.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: MIDI Basics Please 2014/08/30 15:15:47 (permalink)
    May be obvious, but www.midi.org has some basics/history (see Tutorials section) and the table of messages (in Specification section). I do not own "The Document" (complete specification, not free), but I think it is not thought for musicians. Groove3 has many nice videos about synths (not free, but one month subscription is cheap).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: MIDI Basics Please 2014/08/30 15:48:24 (permalink)
    MIDI is simply a method a bunch of equipment manufacturers agreed upon, to be able to communicate with other pieces of equipment.  

A midi 'event' is a bit of data that describes that particular event, which could be a note on, note off, expression pedal data value, patch number, bank number, note number, etc.  It does not contain any sound itself.

If you think of a player piano, it had a roll, onto which a paper or metal was fixed, and there were a bunch of holes and slits punched through the paper/metal.  When that roll turned, the mechanics of the piano were able to play songs, based upon where the holes and slits were placed on the roll.  A hole was a short note, and a slit was a note held longer.

That is kind of how midi works.  Each midi event contains information that identifies the kind of event it is, and then the rest of the event data is particular to that kind of event.  When the receiving gear 'reads' that midi data, it can then respond to do things like play a certain note, for a certain length, for a certain preset and bank, etc...

The introduction of midi was a HUGE musical gear breakthrough, and revolutionized the entire music industry.  It's amazing that midi has endured for so long - genius.

So, you capture the midi data, whether played live or entered a note at a time, and then you route that midi data to some synth or effect, or whatever (you can control lighting changes and all sorts of things other than instruments), the receiving device interprets that data and responds to it.

The rest is really just understanding how to edit it, and how to generally work with it.

I hope that helps a little - it was a simplistic explanation, just to get the idea across.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    thundercage
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: MIDI Basics Please 2014/09/06 11:43:13 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    To create such a thing as a midi drum track you can use the PRV which does not require any form of midi controller.  

I personally would recommend that you get a different Audio interface than your on board one as they tend to be troublesome and not really designed for audio recording or use within such a software product as SONAR.

Ok, I am waiting on delivery of an Edirol FA101. Is this a decent unit?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1