MIDI PRV improvement: One key per function instead of current note-area sensitive concept

Author
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
2016/02/08 06:57:48 (permalink)
5 (5)

MIDI PRV improvement: One key per function instead of current note-area sensitive concept

The smart-tool idea whereby zones around a note access different functions is fine with few notes, but as things progress you zoom out to get an overview, then manoevering over the right bits of note gets difficult. Result? I'm constantly zooming in and out.

I propose a key+mouse model.

That way I only need enough accuracy to actually hit the note with my mouse. Everything else is key and mouse movement.

Put the default key layout under the left hand (with options for the right side) - NOT function keys like now. I realize there are defaults already, notably the D key. Studio One uses the number keys, that could be an alternative.

Here to start the ball rolling is my suggestion:

A) *** Note Selection/Moving ***

1) Mouse click selects note.
2) Keep mouse pressed to move note
- Moved note really moves live to reveal any duped notes underneath
- Pressing Esc before mouse button release cancels move and the note jumps back.
( - Some unskilled in mouseclicking may accidentally move on select, so perhaps a Preference to add a key to move? But please no noticable time delay; that is poison to the practiced power-user)

B) *** Note Creation ***

3) Key A+mouse to Add new note of default duration and velocity, as set by user in Preferences.
4) Keep A and mouse pressed to set note duration
5) *Additionally* press V (Keys A and V together) to change velocity (with scale displayed, see below).
6) SAVE the note duration and velocity on mouse release (volatile - not on disk!)
7) Key Q+mouse to add a new note of SAVED duration and velocity (in effect, use previous note settings).
- If this is first note then use Preferences default duration and velocity, same as in Key A. Do NOT crash Sonar.

C) *** Note Editing ***

8) Key S+mouse to set Duration (S = "Stretch/Shrink?" Or D?),
9) Key V+mouse to set Velocity (display value and/or a little vertical scale near the note to assist human to visualize),
10)  Key E+mouse click to Erase a note - or: right mouse click

Much of what I suggested is how it works now. I'm just saying: don't change those. And I like Grid Enable/Disable on N, that's good.
Edit: Changed after giving this some thought.

post edited by jpetersen - 2016/02/08 15:31:50

2 Replies Related Threads

kb420
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1839
    Re: MIDI PRV improvement: One key per function instead of current note-area sensitive conc 2016/02/08 11:46:07 (permalink)
    I agree completely!!! It's as if whoever programmed Sonar's midi implementation never really USES it. If they did, they would see how clumsy and cumbersome it is!

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: MIDI PRV improvement: One key per function instead of current note-area sensitive conc 2016/02/08 14:34:57 (permalink)
    I think you can reassign those function keys to more accessible key combinations - I'm not a big fan of using those either. 

However, I actually prefer the way it is now rather than having to use a different key for each operation.  For detailed start/end time adjustments I always zoom in anyway so I can better see the timeline, and for velocity I use a combination of notes and CC view, whichever works better for where I'm at. 

That said, adding some of these hot-zone features as optional keyins could be convenient...

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1