MIDI Sound Qualty

Author
G_BENNETT
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/06/14 09:27:57 (permalink)

MIDI Sound Qualty

Hi all.
I'm a somewhat new User of CWHS and record mostly audio. I've recently ventured into the drum beat 'painting' area of the product, and have laid down a few tracks using the EDIROL DXi that comes with the product. Pretty straight forward & easy to use.

My question is this. On playback, the MIDI drum reproduction is... well...it seems pretty crappy. I'm new to this and dont have a point of reference, so maybe this is as good as it gets. Can anyone comment? I've fooled around with the various stock setting (using the Room 1 Reverb over the Hall certainly makes the sounds a little more acceptable, but...). I can only describe the sound as 'fake'.

I also considered it might even be something to do with the system I'm running (but I assumed the sound card shouldnt have a significant impact). My headphones are pretty decent quality Sonys, which I run from the Edirol UA-20 ADC I use for my audio inputs. My system specs are below.

Everything seems to work as described, it just falls short of what I expected. I feel I can get better individual beat representation recording audio right off my drum kit. I'm sure I must be overlooking something. I've seen other MIDI products like BFD which demo on their site with what sounds like more realistic sound reproduction, but I'd rather not make the investment if the real reason is hardware related.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

GB

*** Specs ***

IBM T41 Laptop
1 Gig Memory
120 Gig Disk
Edirol UA-20 ADC (USB)
Shure SM58 Mic
Drums
Guitars
Keyboards
Digitech RP300A Effects Pedals

5 Replies Related Threads

boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: MIDI Sound Qualty 2005/06/14 10:59:51 (permalink)
    There is nothing wrong with your statement. The EDIROL IS a crappy synth (although I rarely use some of the percussion sounds such as CONGAS etc that sound pretty decent). If you want realistic drums I recommend using either loops (there are some free on the web or use soft synths to play the MIDI tracks. For example if you have the DYAD or any other soundfont player you can grab some very realistic drum kits such as the NS Kit and the Blue Jay drums.
    G_BENNETT
    RE: MIDI Sound Qualty 2005/06/14 11:18:55 (permalink)
    Thanks Boten.

Having little experience with loops, I have stayed away from them as I wanted to build my own drum structures (makes me feel more like a real musician ). When using loops, is it more of a cut & paste exercise to get a more elaborate run, or do you also get the individual drum strikes that you can add in to fill it out more?

What a rookie, eh?

GB
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: MIDI Sound Qualty 2005/06/14 11:36:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: G_BENNETT

Thanks Boten.

Having little experience with loops, I have stayed away from them as I wanted to build my own drum structures (makes me feel more like a real musician ). When using loops, is it more of a cut & paste exercise to get a more elaborate run, or do you also get the individual drum strikes that you can add in to fill it out more?

What a rookie, eh?

GB

Try the NS KIT7...You can download it from THIS SITE. It is a very "usable" drum kit (if you have the MIDI Keyboard "chops" to perform the parts you want to record).

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: MIDI Sound Qualty 2005/06/14 11:43:03 (permalink)
    It is a cut and paste exercise, also you need to combine different versions of them to have a variation of the patterns. I'm not very familiar with wav loops I like the MIDI ones so I can go change and record on top anything I want to make it more realistic (more overheads,fills, etc). Also most of the wav loops come equalized and even though the EQ is based on lots of knowledge I like to keep the flexibility to change how things sound (for example I like to experiment different processing for snares, etc).
    It's all a matter of preferences, some will say that wav loops are better.
    G_BENNETT
    RE: MIDI Sound Qualty 2005/06/14 13:10:51 (permalink)
    Thats great. I'm going home tonight and try it out. I'd go earlier, but this damn job keeps getting in the way.

Many thanks.

GB
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1