MIDI confusion

Author
bigdog
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2008/02/01 10:22:30 (permalink)

MIDI confusion

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a total moron, I guess the thing I'm having the most trouble understanding is MIDI. I kinda understand what it is and its purpose, but how I can use it is bugging me. I've seen lots of different MIDI cotrollers, and I guess thats whats cofusing me. If I buy a drum machine for instance, will I be able to connect that to my computer and access, or control the drum sounds in MC4? Recording drums is my main concern at this point, and I would like to have the freedom to "play" the drums, and not just use some preset drum sounds. Would I be better off to buy a controller with a keyboard? It seems that would be a lot more versatile, as I could actually use piano type sounds. The more I think about this, the more unsure I am. Any suggestions?

3 Replies Related Threads

Urdypooh
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: MIDI confusion 2008/02/01 10:39:55 (permalink)
    If your drum machine has a MIDI (in and out) port and supports GM (as in General MIDI) than MC4 can control and record from the drum machine. (Be aware that your recorded sound might sound a little different from a soft synth that you might need to use when your drum machine is not around.)

A "general" MIDI controller is more versatile. It is really up to you what you plan to do in the future.
    You can use though a soft synth in MC4 with your keyboard to use "piano type sounds" and more.
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: MIDI confusion 2008/02/01 12:52:15 (permalink)
    Understanding midi take all the fight out of these decisions. Midi is a universal machine language designed to tell a sampler, or synth program or hardware box what notes to play, and how. Example you have a drum machine with midi in and out, inside this box you have a set of sampled drum sounds, or small recordings of drum sounds. The midi data either from a sequencer like MC, or a keyboard of from the pads on the drum machine, and this will tell the sample program which drums sounds to play and in what order and at what volume and velocity. that signal goes out in two ways 1.) Thru the midi port as data only which can be used to fire or trigger any other synth or sampler, or to be recorded inside a program like MC as midi data, recorded in a MIDI track. 2.) Out thru the audio jack as sampled sound, which can be recorded as wave file in an audio track.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: MIDI confusion 2008/02/01 22:25:05 (permalink)
    Like they said. MIDI is data only. You can connect a MIDI drum machine (which sounds great through an amplifier) to the computer, but it will sound like whatever synth you are running the MIDI data to, either a software synthesizer, a hardware synth such as Microsoft's GS Wavetable, or back to your drum machine.
    MIDI controllers make no sounds, but allow input to a sequencer from a device familiar to most muscians, a keyboard. You would also need to use soft synths or a hardware synth to hear anything using a controller.
    Without a MIDI keyboard, controller or drum machine, you can still enter data into MC using your mouse in the piano roll view or the staff view. MIDI output would then be sent to a soft synth or MS Wavetable to be heard. So you don't really need a MIDI keyboard or controller.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1