MIDI effect question - new to MIDI. Using Music Creator 3

Author
rkhanso
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/06/23 21:25:31 (permalink)

MIDI effect question - new to MIDI. Using Music Creator 3

I'm using an old version of Cakewalk Music Creator - version 3. New to MIDI in general and sorry for using incorrect terminology and ignorance of what many of you may consider basic knowledge. I have searched the forum but didn't find answer.

I have a Roland digital piano with MIDI output. Using the USB output on the piano to the PC and Music Creator 3.
I've imported a video (or audio...doesn't matter) and play along with it on the piano and record.

Using the Roland digital piano, I'm trying to get a Hammond B3 sound to get recorded with the video...but want the varying speed Leslie sound with it.

When playing around with Cakewalk, I found an effect kinda like the leslie changing speeds...but I think the effect only works on analog sound, not MIDI - it doesn't show up as an option on the MIDI track.

The effect is called "SpectraFX" and I'm wanting to use the "Tremolo Slow" effect - but on the MIDI track. It's in the Audio FX section.

Is it possible to give the MIDI track I want to play along with the video I've imported sound like a Hammond B3 with a varying speed Leslie speaker?

7 Replies Related Threads

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:MIDI effect question - new to MIDI. Using Music Creator 3 2010/06/23 21:45:46 (permalink)
    Rkanso,

I think what you could do is record the MIDI sound (render it) onto an Audio track.

Then you could try the audio effect to an audio track and see how you like it.

You are right that Rotating Speaker effect is not a MIDI effect.

There are some MIDI sounds of organs that already include tremolos like the rotating speakers, though.

You then would just set that voice to the MIDI notes you played, no effects needed.
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:MIDI effect question - new to MIDI. Using Music Creator 3 2010/06/23 22:07:29 (permalink)
    Right. Either record the audio output of your keyboard playing the MIDI track, or bounce the MIDI track to an audio track, if you're using a software synthesizer.
    Then add the audio effect to that audio track.
    You didn't mention which Roland keyboard you have, but check and see if it doesn't already have a rotary speaker effect onboard. My old Yamaha does have a rotary effect, maybe yours does, too.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    rkhanso
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:MIDI effect question - new to MIDI. Using Music Creator 3 2010/06/24 00:59:16 (permalink)
    My piano is a Roland HP-201....the low end of the digital piano line, I think.
    It has a sort of B3 sound, but no adjustable speed leslie effect for it. That's why I was looking for it in Music Creator.
    I guess getting the sound just how I like it via MIDI and converting it to audio (if I can figure out how to do that) appears to be the way to go. I was hoping that I could use a B3 voice in MIDI with an adjustable rotary speaker speed like the B3s have. The piano has a bunch of sounds built-in, though I'm not sure how to access them via Music Creator.

I'll play around with it and see if I can figure it out.

Alternately, I've been considering getting a MacBook Pro and Logic Studio. Maybe a Kurzweil PC3X keyboard...but I'd have to save for a while for all that.  But until then, It's Music Creator 3
    JoanMichele
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:MIDI effect question - new to MIDI. Using Music Creator 3 2010/06/24 01:16:41 (permalink)
    Try routing the audio output of the MIDI keyboard to an audio track and put the audio effects in the audio bin.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:MIDI effect question - new to MIDI. Using Music Creator 3 2010/06/24 07:56:54 (permalink)
    record the midi... bounce it to audio. Then you can insert the FX into the FX bin..... you should be able to then use an envelope to edit the FX...change the speed & intensity...... that is kinda like jumping into the 12' deep end of the pool after learning to doggy paddle..... but hey....why not?

Note: some FX in MC do have controllable parameters and some do not. So be aware that the one you are using might not.... try it and see.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:MIDI effect question - new to MIDI. Using Music Creator 3 2010/06/24 12:20:56 (permalink)
    Also, there are tons of B3 soft synths available on the net, some are FREE!
    Unfortunately, most are VST instruments, and you can't use VSTs with MC 3 without a VST adapter, and I think Cakewalk no longer sells that adapter.
    Try this site, or search "Hammond B3 VST" on the 'net; you'll get a lot of hits.

http://masterhammond.syntheway.net/

That one isn't free, though, but there is some mention of a DXi-VSTi adapter from some other company.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:MIDI effect question - new to MIDI. Using Music Creator 3 2010/06/24 14:00:50 (permalink)
    time to upgrade to MC5.... $40... buy the boxed set at Best Buy ... do not download it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1